Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
As I said before I was ready to support the web series until I read that she ended up wenching with a Cac over a brotha so I never bothered. I do want to support more people of color being in charge of their own creative representations and output however I will NOT support the continued representation of black men as thugs, fags, or ambition-less lazy morons. Just look at the description for the male lead

Ellis plays Lawrence, Issa’s depressed and unemployed boyfriend who has been getting his act together for four years

:martin:

Again I'll check it out based upon wanting to support a black woman but if the black male turns out to another stereotype I'm out:camby:
For as long as she fought to have her show, she prolly had to include a lot of that. I'm sure 2 or 3 of the girls will have a fling or relations with non-black men to appeal to the 'love sees no color/gender' audience.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
For as long as she fought to have her show, she prolly had to include a lot of that. I'm sure 2 or 3 of the girls will have a fling or relations with non-black men to appeal to the 'love sees no color/gender' audience.

I understand that but she didn't have to compromise on her YouTube show, which was funded by Gofundme, and she still chose to portray an interracial relationship over a black relationship.

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
As I said before I was ready to support the web series until I read that she ended up wenching with a Cac over a brotha so I never bothered. I do want to support more people of color being in charge of their own creative representations and output however I will NOT support the continued representation of black men as thugs, fags, or ambition-less lazy morons. Just look at the description for the male lead

Ellis plays Lawrence, Issa’s depressed and unemployed boyfriend who has been getting his act together for four years

:martin:

Again I'll check it out based upon wanting to support a black woman but if the black male turns out to another stereotype I'm out:camby:

Trust me she has variety in her writing. The CAC will have a catch :sas2: to him

Milk N Cookies

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
Just came to bump cause it's in demand. Now watching will be back when I'm done! Edit: Omg why haven't I watched her web series.. this is so me!

Omg they got Dormtaiment on here too!!!

Last edited:

Milk N Cookies

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
I love it! As I said above Issa is me & I am Issa. From a complicated ass realtionship to misinterpreting little things, I'll be honest and admit I too freestyle when I'm alone( but I will never do it publicly!!). I can't wait til the second episode is up. Will support. #supportblackshows #supportblackwrirters #awkwardblackgirl #insecure

No Sleep

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Souf Caro
I love it! As I said above Issa is me & I am Issa. From a complicated ass realtionship to misinterpreting little things, I'll be honest and admit I too freestyle when I'm alone( but I will never do it publicly!!). I can't wait til the second episode is up. Will support. #supportblackshows #supportblackwrirters #awkwardblackgirl #insecure

You a NBW? :scust:
Not sure if she is or not but I suspect :yeshrug:

Busted_Toes

Veteran
Daps
PREDICTABLE BLACK FEMINIST..

Natural Hair - Check
CAC love interest - Check
Built like Corporate Rock - Check
Blatantly or subliminally shyt on Black men - Check
Uses terms like "awkward" or "alternative" - Check
Faux Intellectual - Check

awkward-still-5x3.png

Hurry up and create another...
img-thing

..So another Dark skinned Black girl can claim to be "awkward" and do the same thing. Create the thing you envy the most :mjlol: and complain about them taking over the natural hair community or whatever concoction of bendwenchery yall participate in. I see you, I believe in you.

1rrr60.jpg

Issa in 20 years...
4udqbt.jpg