Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
She was a teller that was taking management night classes at a local community college or something because she said she wanted to run a bank and not just be a teller.

There was NOTHING wrong with Tasha outside of the timing. There's a good chance that Lawrence doesn't see her as his type -- which is fine, because as this show has constantly proven, people want what they want and cannot be convinced to let those desires go -- but objectively, she was a catch: an attractive woman with her own job and shyt, her own plans for advancing her career, and she was all about Lawrence.

One, he fukked up for decided to mess around with someone he worked with.

Two, he fukked up for messing around with a co-worker who had messed around on multiple occasions with another co-worker.

Three, he fukked up for messing around with a co-worker who was still friendly as fukk with a mutual co-worker she once messed around with.

Based on what you've seen of Lawrence -- who spent the two years prior being depressed and lost as fukk only to get cheated on right when he got it together -- this season and what was just laid out, you really expect Lawrence to just move past it? How do you move past something you see every day?

what can i say?

im from a simpler time!
:noreha:

BrehWyatt

Let me work.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#TSC
Nah. He apologized last season. And changed. Issa still cheated and Lawrence was still the villain.

I got that. I side with Lawrence more than I do Issa, so I'm not disagreeing.

I'm just saying that most people on #TeamIssa were changing their tune on Twitter when he "really got honest about shyt" and said he was sorry wasn't what Issa expected him to be.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
If she's a virgin, she's the greatest actress ever lol. She looks familiar w/ smashing. Real familiar
It don't look like she's fukking tho. Any women can do that when she's not an actual dikk. Let that dikk pitch her spine and she's singing a different tune

cornercommission2k12

so this were u dudes went
Daps
Reppin
300 murders a year
One more thought on the Aparna/Lawrence car convo... I wish they didn't write it like they did. It made Lawrence come off SUPER LAME and insecure (npi). He aint even know who she was texting. I get why his character would flip out but I wish there was more evidence to lead it there.

I was hoping they'd go another direction with it. I was hoping that he'd see how absorbed she was into her phone and then realize that they didn't have a real connection. To me that's a more realistic scenario, because you can enjoy someone's company and convo in short spurts but then after awhile realize yall don't really have a connection. And the "being in your phone and not in the moment" is a real problem for our generation.
the thing is, i see so many posting what they wish characters would have done, but it goes away from the theme of the show. or maybe people think "insecure" was only intended for issa rae.

lawrence became insecure because of issa cheating on him, this lead to him being non committal to tasha, not ready to be full bachelor and coming up short in the 3 some, and flipping on aparna, when you have a women that fine, you have to show the most ultimate confidence as dudes will always be on them.

molly is confident in her skills at her career but insecure in herself on the intimate level. she chooses messy situations that feel safe to her based on sex, and shun situations that challenge the other areas it takes to make a relationship successful. so if you treat her like a piece of p*ssy, she going, if you look like you want to build something with her, she finds a reason to get out of it, not because the guys are horrible, but because she doesnt feel secure enough to bring something other than her puzzy to the table.

daniel keeps going back to issa because he gets insecure when he feels he getting shaded. people forget that he cheated on issa in the 1st place and left her. that is how season 1 started.

the show stays true to the theme of the show, that is why its a great show. its many dynamics to insecurity, and sometimes i think the viewer who believes some of the choices made are signs of security, it reveals that some decisions we think we making that are "freedom of sex" "being a playa and sleeping around" are simply decisions of insecurity and those sex and playa decisions are done to cover up the insecurity. good shyt.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It didn't. Book sense can't help you in situations that require common sense.
I'm not even talking about the life moves she's fukking up on, I'm just talking about her financial situation, not making shyt at her job, not being able to afford to live by herself, not having a dime in savings, etc. It's bigger than Issa though, I've met so many "educated" people in life that are just living check-to-check and barely getting it then. Hell, Issa could've skipped those four years of college, got a job at the bank with Tasha, and at least she would've had four years of fall back money stacked up lol. I can't imagine she's making any more than a bank teller at her job anyway.

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
in most cases, absolutely. But at a nonprofit working with public schools? I'm not too sure.

Yeah where's the big money in that? Her best bet was getting the job that went to Frieda(which was never gonna happen btw. They stick together. Everyone knows this but black folk it seems)

BrehWyatt

Let me work.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#TSC
I'm not even talking about the life moves she's fukking up on, I'm just talking about her financial situation, not making shyt at her job, not being able to afford to live by herself, not having a dime in savings, etc. It's bigger than Issa though, I've met so many "educated" people in life that are just living check-to-check and barely getting it then. Hell, Issa could've skipped those four years of college, got a job at the bank with Tasha, and at least she would've had four years of fall back money stacked up lol. I can't imagine she's making any more than a bank teller at her job anyway.

This is coming from someone who until recently never really made comfortable money (i.e. to where I could do a budget and come out in the black while accounting for consistent savings deposits and such).

Honestly, I don't think she's used to thriving like that. She spent five years with Lawrence, and that dude apparently had enough saved up to where he could continue to cover his half of the bills on that plus unemployment for two years.

For all we know, she's never been in a position where she had to have more than just "a job" to get by. She's always had another person's income coming in to help with bills. Not that it's really an excuse, but because she hasn't really spent much of her adult life by herself -- at least from what it seems -- she doesn't quite know how to live within her means.

But it all depends on how good people are with money. Some people can have a meager salary but manage it well enough to where they aren't thriving, per se, but they aren't hurting.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Nah it was ok what he did writing wise. Hince the show is called insecure. After finding out the girl he digging fukked a dude from work multiple times and still laughs and jokes with the cat then him telling his homies about it. Lawrence is gonna act the way he did in the car. We got to be honest Lawrence is a decent dude but he truly is a sucka and a goofy at the same time.

The thing that got me mad was him actually apologizing and giving her a out for cheating on him. That's a L but even then he could still pull out a win with a goodbye and be done with it but NO his simp mark ass goes and sends a friend request too add issa back in his life while she takes a Uber to live with the nikka she cheated on him with. Smh. Ain't no coming back from that.
You know Jasmine slept that night and it wasn't with Lawrence