Israel–Hamas War: 10/7/2023 - Present

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
For those with knowledge, please enlighten me as I haven't been following too closely

I've read reports that various Syrian assets (one described here, airports) have been specifically targeted by Israel.

What's Syria's position on this?
  • I assume aligned to Palestine?
Is Israel trying to draw Syria into this conflict?
  • If so, why?
Has Syria responded, with force, statements?
Syria is a barely functioning state after its civil war, and still doesnt control all of its territory. It is however a staging ground for many Iranian-linked factions (including Hezbolllah) who also oppose Israel, and they are the focus of those strikes. Israel is worried that itll serve as another front for attacks, not from the Syrian army itself, but from various militias there.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Wait, are you suggesting that Israel should in fact hold on to territory it captured after 1967, simply by virtue of being the stronger party? Do you reject widely held international consensus that West Bank is occupied territory and that Gaza remains under virtual occupation by virtue of Israel's blockade of its air, marine, and land borders? This is a pretty extreme position to take, and curious if you extend this might is right logic to Russian capture of Ukrainian territory?
I'm stating the fact that Israel has the power and resources to never give that back.

There isn't some grand return that's going to happen where all the land taken will be given back and we will see a reverse migration of the 600k or so Jews who migrated from Europe, Africa, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria etc.

Majority of Palestinians and the most powerful Palestinian factions in the 90s recognized Israel, and were committed to establishing a second state based on those 1967 borders. Israel never moved towards sincerely implementing Oslo, because they refused to recognize right to return and maintained ambitions for settlement expansion in the West Bank. The latter has expanded rapidly since the 90s and now makes a second state virtually impossible.
Let's not rewrite history here.

Also wrong about the PA refusing to speak with the U.S. - they talk to the U.S. Government all the time.
They refused to meet with Biden twice last week. That's not debatable.

But that's here nor there, the overarching point is Palestinians are going to have to make some concessions they don't want or continue to live in this occupied state for the foreseeable if not indefinite future.

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm stating the fact that Israel has the power and resources to never give that back.

There isn't some grand return that's going to happen where all the land taken will be given back and we will see a reverse migration of the 600k or so Jews who migrated from Europe, Africa, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria etc.

Let's not rewrite history here.

They refused to meet with Biden twice last week. That's not debatable.

But that's here nor there, the overarching point is Palestinians are going to have to make some concessions they don't want or continue to live in this occupied state for the foreseeable if not indefinite future.
As does Russia in eastern Ukraine/Crimea but that doesn’t stop people from making very strong stances/views on the issue, but I’ll let you dodge the inconsistency.
You may not recognize it, but your positions are in obvious contradiction with each other. What deal is there left for Palestinians to make when only remaining territory where a state may be based is disappearing? What “concessions” are you referring to exactly? In fact, some of the most clear sighted analysis of the current state of play can be found in Israeli media itself:

Netanyahu also shaped the policy embraced by the short-lived “government of change” led by Naftali Bennett and Yair Lapid: a multidimensional effort to crush the Palestinian national movement in both its wings, in Gaza and the West Bank, at a price that would seem acceptable to the Israeli public.

In the past, Netanyahu marketed himself as a cautious leader who eschewed wars and multiple casualties on Israel’s side. After his victory in the last election, he replaced this caution with the policy of a “fully-right government,” with overt steps taken to annex the West Bank, to carry out ethnic cleansing in parts of the Oslo-defined Area C, including the Hebron Hills and the Jordan Valley.

This also included a massive expansion of settlements and bolstering of the Jewish presence on Temple Mount, near the Al-Aqsa Mosque, as well as boasts of an impending peace deal with the Saudis in which the Palestinians would get nothing, with open talk of a “second Nakba” in his governing coalition. As expected, signs of an outbreak of hostilities began in the West Bank, where Palestinians started feeling the heavier hand of the Israeli occupier. Hamas exploited the opportunity in order to launch its surprise attack on Saturday.

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
you do know they still have her husband
I was going to mention something similar but refrained because folks are emotional.

Below is an article referencing her husband is still captive

I went through hell, says 85-year-old hostage released by Hamas
Published
13 hours ago
Related Topics
Israel-Gaza war
Media caption,
Yocheved Lifschitz shook the hand of her Hamas captor as she left

By Sarah Fowler
BBC News
"I went through hell," says Yocheved Lifschitz, an 85-year-old grandmother and peace activist released by Hamas on Monday after two weeks in captivity.

Ms Lifschitz and her husband were kidnapped by Hamas gunmen on motorbikes and taken into a "spider's web" of tunnels underneath Gaza, she said.

She described being hit by sticks on the journey, but said most of the hostages were being "treated well".

She was freed alongside another woman, Nurit Cooper, 79, on Monday evening.

Extraordinary images show the grandmother shaking the hand of a Hamas gunman, just seconds before she was handed over to the International Red Cross at the Rafah crossing between Gaza and neighbouring Egypt.

"Shalom," she appears to say to the gunman - the Hebrew word for peace.

Ms Lifschitz was kidnapped, alongside her husband Oded, from Nir Oz Kibbutz in southern Israel on 7 October. He has not been released.

It was early in the morning when Hamas attacked their kibbutz, massacring the small community. One in four residents are believed to have been killed or kidnapped, including many children.

Speaking at a news conference from Ichilov hospital in Tel Aviv just a few hours after her release, Ms Lifschitz explained what happened after she was kidnapped.

She said she was hit with sticks during the journey into Gaza, and suffered bruises and breathing difficulties.

Media caption,
Peace activist Yocheved Lifschitz, 85, says she was beaten as she was driven into Gaza

Her daughter, Sharone Lifschitz, who helped translate her mother's ordeal to reporters, said the 85-year-old was forced to walk for a few kilometres on wet ground.

Sharone said her mother was taken into "a huge network of tunnels underneath Gaza that looked like a spider's web".

Ms Lifschitz said she was among 25 hostages taken into the tunnels and after several hours, five people from her kibbutz, including herself, were taken into a separate room. There, they each had a guard and access to a paramedic and doctor.

She described clean conditions inside, with mattresses on the floor for them to sleep on. Another captive who was badly injured in a motorbike accident on the way into Gaza was treated for his injuries by a doctor.

"They made sure we wouldn't get sick, and we had a doctor with us every two or three days."

She also said they had access to medicines they needed and there were women there who knew about "feminine hygiene".

They ate the same food - pitta bread with cheese and cucumber - as the Hamas guards, her daughter Sharone added.

Yocheved Lifshytz stands next to her husband Oded on a road, in this handout picture obtained by Reuters on 23 October 2023Image source, Reuters
Image caption,
Yocheved Lifschitz, right, stands next to husband Oded - he is still being held by Hamas in Gaza
Asked by a reporter why she had shaken hands with the gunman, Ms Lifschitz said the hostage takers had treated her well and the remaining hostages were in good condition.

Sharone said she wasn't surprised by her mother's gesture - "the way she walked off and then came back and then said thank you was quite incredible to me. It's so her," she earlier told the BBC.

Hours before Ms Lifschitz and Nurit Cooper were released on Monday evening, the Israeli military held a screening for journalists showing raw footage recovered from Hamas body cameras, in an effort to remind the world of the brutality of the attack on Israel two weeks ago.

Among the clips was footage of Hamas gunmen cheering with apparent joy as they shot civilians on the road, and later stalking the pathways of kibbutzim and killing parents and children in their homes.

More than 1,400 people, mostly civilians, were killed in the attack.

BBC map shows location of Nir Oz kibbutz in Israel and Rafah crossing on the Gaza-Egypt border
1px transparent line
Ms Lifschitz and her 83-year-old husband, Oded, are known peace activists who helped transport sick people out of Gaza to hospitals in Israel, according to their families.

Oded is a journalist who's worked for peace and the rights of Palestinians for decades, Sharone told the BBC.

According to the National Union of Journalists, he used to work for newspaper Al Hamishmar, and was among the first journalists to report on the massacre in two Palestinian refugee camps in Beirut in 1982.

"He speaks good Arabic so can communicate very well with the people there. He knows many people in Gaza. I want to think he's going to be OK," says Sharone.

In total, four hostages have now been released, after two American-Israelis, mother and daughter Judith and Natalie Raanan, were freed on Friday.

Israel says more than 200 people are still being held hostage. The husband of Nurit Cooper, who was also freed on Monday night, is believed to be among them.

line

Last edited:

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
People keep talking about Hamas attacking civilians but.... Israel started it

In February 1994, Baruch Goldstein, a Jewish settler in military fatigues, massacred 29 Muslims at prayer in the Ibrahimi Mosque in Hebron in the West Bank during the month of Ramadan. An additional 19 Palestinians were killed by Israeli forces in the ensuing riots.[143] Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin condemned the massacre but fearing a confrontation with Hebron's violent settler community, he refused to withdraw them,[121] and Hamas swore to avenge the deaths. In a communique it announced that if Israel didn't discriminate between "fighters and civilians" then it would be "forced ... to treat the Zionists in the same manner. Treating like with like is a universal principle."[144]

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
And again.

Hamas boycotted the 1996 Palestinian general election and the 2005 Palestinian presidential election, but decided to participate in the 2006 Palestinian legislative election, the first to take place after the death of Yasser Arafat. The EU figured prominently in the proposal that democratic elections be held in the territories.[170] In the run-up to the polling day, the US administration's Condoleezza Rice, Israel's Tzipi Livni and British Prime Minister Tony Blair all expressed reservations about allowing Hamas to compete in a democratic process.[171] Hamas ran on a platform of clean government, a thorough overhaul of the corrupt administrative system, and the issue of rampant lawlessness.[172][173] The PA, notoriously riddled with corruption, chose to run Marwan Barghouti as its leading candidate, who was serving five life sentences in Israel. The US donated two million dollars to the PA to improve its media image. Israel also assisted the PA by allowing Barghouti to be interviewed in prison by Arab television and by permitting 100,000 Palestinians in East Jerusalem to vote.[173]

Crucially, the election took place shortly after Israel had evacuated its settlements in Gaza.[174] The evacuation, executed without consulting Fatah, gave currency to Hamas' view that resistance had compelled Israel to leave Gaza.[175] In a statement Hamas portrayed it as a vindication of their strategy of armed resistance ("Four years of resistance surpassed 10 years of bargaining") and Muhammed Deif attributed "the Liberation of Gaza" to his comrades "love of martyrdom".[176]

Hamas, intent on displaying its power through a plebiscite rather than by violence, announcing that it would refrain from attacks on Israel if Israel were to desist from its offensive against Palestinian towns and villages.[177] Its election manifesto dropped the Islamic agenda, spoke of sovereignty for the Palestinian territories, including Jerusalem (an implicit endorsement of the two-state solution), while conceding nothing about its claims to all of Palestine. It mentioned "armed resistance" twice and affirmed in article 3.6 that it was a right to resist the "terrorism of occupation".[172] A Palestinian Christian figured on its candidate list.[178]

Hamas won 76 seats, excluding four won by independents supporting Hamas, and Fatah only 43.[174] The election was judged by international observers to have been "competitive and genuinely democratic". The EU said that they had been run better than elections in some members countries of the union, and promised to maintain its financial support.[170] Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and the United Arab Emirates urged the US to give Hamas a chance, and that it was inadvisable to punish Palestinians for their choice, a position also endorsed by the Arab League a month later.[179] The EU's promise was short-lived; three months later, in violating of its core principles regarding free elections, it abruptly froze financial assistance to the Hamas-led government, following the example set by the US and Canada. It undertook to instead channel funds directly to people and projects, and pay salaries only to Fatah members, employed or otherwise.[180]

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Hamas assumed the administration of Gaza following its electoral victory and introduced radical changes. It inherited a chaotic situation of lawlessness, since the economic sanctions imposed by Israel, the US and the Quartet had crippled the PA's administrative resources, leading to the emergence of numerous mafia-style gangs and terror cells modeled after Al Qaeda.[181] Writing in Foreign Affairs, Daniel Byman later stated:

In early February 2006, Hamas offered Israel a ten-year truce "in return for a complete Israeli withdrawal from the occupied Palestinian territories: the West Bank, Gaza Strip and East Jerusalem,"[184] and recognition of Palestinian rights including the "right of return".[185] Mashal added that Hamas was not calling for a final end to armed operations against Israel, and it would not impede other Palestinian groups from carrying out such operations.[186]

After the election, the Quartet on the Middle East (the United States, Russia, the European Union (EU), and the United Nations) stated that assistance to the Palestinian Authority would only continue if Hamas renounced violence, recognized Israel, and accepted previous Israeli-Palestinian agreements, which Hamas refused to do.[187] The Quartet then imposed a freeze on all international aid to the Palestinian territories.[188] In 2006 after the Gaza election, the Hamas leader sent a letter addressed to George W. Bush, in which he, among other things, declared that Hamas would accept a state on the 1967 borders including a truce. However, the Bush administration did not reply.[189]

™BlackPearl The Empress™

Long Live the Empire
Supporter
Daps
It's crazy to me that no one felt this way when we were destroying Iraq, destroying Afghanistan...imean this is nothing new.

General public really need to be led to feel something and it is alarming how much our dependence on social media dictates how we feel...

That being said it's BEEN fukked up. This just the next chapter smh...
We didn't care because we were the ones being attacked. I'm sure plenty people around the world protested it. We just didn't give a single fukk if they blew those countries to hell. I remember that time very well. The only time everyone had the same political opinion.

™BlackPearl The Empress™

Long Live the Empire
Supporter
Daps
For those with knowledge, please enlighten me as I haven't been following too closely

I've read reports that various Syrian assets (one described here, airports) have been specifically targeted by Israel.

What's Syria's position on this?
  • I assume aligned to Palestine?
Is Israel trying to draw Syria into this conflict?
  • If so, why?
Has Syria responded, with force, statements?
There is another terrorist organization called Hezbollah. Hezbollah operates out of Syria & Lebanon. Hezbollah stands with Hamas in this instance. After Hamas attacked Israel Hezbollah was threating to get in on the action. They have been firing mortars here and there across the countries borders for over a week now. The countries are basically just blaming Hezbollah and doing nothing to stop it. However I do think Hezbollah is backed by some governments.