Isiah Thomas says KD 30 pts aint the same 30 pts "the dominance isnt there anymore"

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
I think LeBron has destroyed how we view small forwards. The small forward position was always about scoring. I get that folks are looking for a facilitator/play maker/all these things but in the history of the game that position was mostly about putting the ball in the basket. The same heads criticizing KD will put on the rose colored glasses and share another small forward in Dominique Wilkins. He was scoring only player toe to toe with Bird who was all of those things as a facilitator, rebounder, and scorer but was far from not being dominant.

I dont get it. KD is one of the top 3 to 5 players at that position.
Stop it man

Stop it I clearly defined what dominance is

KD uses his length to score. He can take you off the dribble and score and kill you with his midrange but he has no power in his game

He shoots over people you can‘t dominate games in my opinion when you have no strength. He can’t back anybody down and just yam on you like Giannis or LeBron

He has no real physical component to his game other then his length and killin you with his midrange

Physical meaning STRENGTH
and thats ok. Lots of greats at the SF position dont have that as a part of their game and its ok.

Last edited:

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
Durant is a great scorer, but he lacks that special playmaking like LeBron or that gravity or offball presence Giannis and Curry have that can bend a defense and create easy looks for others.

He's too iso, and Kyrie is too iso, they're playing lineups with non-shooters, and Steve Nash is struggling to coach around that. That setup is a recipe for failure.

So when Durant scores 30, it ends up being non-impactful.

Especially when Bum Simmons is on the court.
KD created easy looks with G leaguers all last year. The problem is the Nets don’t have an actual offensive system. It’s OKC all over again but with Kyrie instead of Russ and he’s older and not getting to the basket.

Last edited:

Joe Sixpack

Build and Destroy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rotten Apple
I think LeBron has destroyed how we view small forwards. The small four position was always about scoring. I get that folks are looking for a facilitator/play Mika/all these things but in the history of the game that position was mostly about putting the ball in the basket. The same heads criticizing KD will put on the rose colored glasses and share another small forward in Dominique Wilkins. He was scoring only player toe to toe with Bird who was all of those things as a facilitator, rebounder, and scorer but was far from not being dominant.

I dont get it. KD is one of the top 3 to 5 players at that position.

and thats ok. Lots of greats at the SF position dont have that as a part of their game and its ok.
He can’t dominate people with power. He gets overpowered all the time. He can only kill you with his jumpshooting

Your Larry Bird example is fair but Larry and KD are different players. Larry dominated games with his passing, shooting, rebounding and passing. I understand Larry wasn’t a physical marvel I hear that but he was a better all around player than KD and he just dominated games. Larry was giving you like 27 10 and like 8

LeBron played the game like Larry Bird and Magic but he added the physical component that nobody could match up with thats why he‘s maybe the best player ever..

He combined everything plus he could dominate you physically

KD to me is just primarily an efficient scorer who’s a jump shooter who’s 6’10 who uses his length but doesn’t have the strength and the all around game of Larry and Lebron

Last edited:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Basketball fans have such evolving definitions for what constitutes a great performance that sooner or later nothing is going to matter.

30 points is dominating.
Except if you lose.
Or play in the wrong era.
Or do it at the wrong age.
Or if the game is in October.
Or if the game was high scoring.
Or if they mostly came in the 1st half.
Or if a teammate scored more in the 4th.
Or if you didn't make the last shot.
Or if you didn't have the appropriate amount of swagger.
Or if people just don't find your game pretty.
Or if an opposing player scored more.

And so on...

For a brief moment I forgot about how much narratives dominate discourse around the NBA. Nevermind this post.
I'm finally prepared for basketball season...

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
:mjlol:

He dominated people with speed and power?

:what:
He got to the rack, played in the mid post and forced doubles and got people in foul trouble. Did you actually watch young Kevin Durant? His missed shot to beat Miami and go up in the series was literally him getting the ball in the post and getting a bad bounce the basket. This post injury KD isn’t the same person. He’s like Kobe post knee surgeries. Still scoring but at a slower pace.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
This is all about the defense. Not about the scoring...He and Kyrie can go for 30+ a night and it won't mean shyt the way that team guards
It’s schematic too. Like Nash came out of a time out yesterday with a lead and decided the best defense was Kyrie on Luka to avoid giving up 3s. If you’re going to do that then why are you rotating on to Luka later in the game and leaving shooters wide open? Udoka should be the coach of this team.

Joe Sixpack

Build and Destroy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rotten Apple
He got to the rack, played in the mid post and forced doubles and got people in foul trouble. Did you actually watch young Kevin Durant? His missed shot to beat Miami and go up in the series was literally him getting the ball in the post and getting a bad bounce the basket. This post injury KD isn’t the same person. He’s like Kobe post knee surgeries. Still scoring but at a slower pace.
Dawg

He’s a silky smooth scorer who’s also rail thin who’s 6’10 and like 190. He’s a highly skilled scorer that uses his length to his advantage

He NEVER dominated anyone with power.

NEVER

and there’s a difference between QUICKNESS and SPEED

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
Basketball fans have such evolving definitions for what constitutes a great performance that sooner or later nothing is going to matter.

30 points is dominating.
Except if you lose.
Or play in the wrong era.
Or do it at the wrong age.
Or if the game is in October.
Or if the game was high scoring.
Or if they mostly came in the 1st half.
Or if a teammate scored more in the 4th.
Or if you didn't make the last shot.
Or if you didn't have the appropriate amount of swagger.
Or if people just don't find your game pretty.
Or if an opposing player scored more.

And so on...

For a brief moment I forgot about how much narratives dominate discourse around the NBA. Nevermind this post.
I'm finally prepared for basketball season...
Eh quit missing the point