Is this the reason female Rapper Rapsody hasn't been able to blow up?

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I was disappointed with Rapsody last album, after she murked Jamla is the Squad compilation:ehh::lupe:

Preach Jackson

All Star
Daps
Reppin
somewhere in southside
it’s many reasons one would be she’s didn’t throw away her artistic integrity to be a silicone injected lady gaga clone. She followed that Jean Grae path and stuck to her guns. The machine ain’t gonna give to true talent the same push. I’m not gonna coli A&R this thread talking bout what her music or image should be.

Last edited:

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah, the accent won't be an issue. Maybe 10+ years ago...but not anymore.
In fact, the accent is a good way to make thoughtful shyt sound dope...people love that British accent :manny:
Nikkas hate British rappers bruh

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
I have high hopes for Little Simz to breakthrough in the states. Her flow, content and beat selection is dope. Only thing I can see people hating on is her accent.

Oh shyt I forgot about Simbi!

Noname & Simz > anybody really, male or female.

Listening to God Bless Mary right now and thought of this thread hoping somebody woulda brought her up.

#AAGang; formerly Selah
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Syracuse
I don't think Rhapsody is even trying market to hoes. I think her lane is conscious fans in general.
Yea she's well aware that women don't fukk with her. She talked about how it's mostly men that support her

blankstairz

Superstar
Daps
Jean Grae didn't blow up. She was so nice on the mic. :whoo:

Not necessarily the same level of talent as Jean, but Rapsody is in that same kinda of lane. It would be a struggle for Rapsody to blow up.

Rapsody can rap, she just don't make music that connects with the masses.

It is not female thing though. We've seen over the years male artists just like Rapsody. Hip-Hop darlings who never blew up because the game is "watered down" and they "weren't promoted right". :sas1:

That is key. Does your music, your style, etc. connect with people?

There are many ways to do that. Kendrick and Travis Scott: two different type of artists. Yet, they connect with people on a large scale. :jbhmm:

Plus, Rapsody is down with 9th wonder. His style of music was throwback 90's sh*t when he first came out with Little Brother. He never really made commercially appealing music like that. Yeah, he did the joint for Jay, did "Girl" for destiny's child, and "Honey" for Badu, but he was mostly an underground/niche type cat with the beats.