Is there something going on with The Rock?

KnickstapeCity

:mjpls:
Daps
Reppin
New York
The same that that happened with the majority of all the other DC movies outside of 2 or 3 :russ:

remember folks,

These are just light hearted JOKES.

Please don’t take this shyt to heart or too seriously. Any jokes on the subject matter aren’t personal attacks on you the coli poster so please fukking relax
:russ::picard: You got a big dikk, breh but relax.

Daps
He had a flop, everyone does.

He needs to expand his acting resume and do some stuff not reliant on him having to take PEDs.

Don't want to see his heart give out or something tragic happen
This.

They used to talk about him playing King Kamehameha in a historical Hawaiian film (obviously he's not Hawaiian but...).

In fairness, Rock doesn't look "Black" enough to pull it off. King K looked like a freed Negro from 1750's Georgia tbh

KI.jpg

Rock needs something serious. Lose all the mass and use acting chops. He'd make a great antagonist if done right. Could also play a "regular" azz dude sorta like Tupac in Poetic Justice. Always being the super-talented hero is boring and he hasn't really increased his range.

Darts

Spittin' em
Daps
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Black Adam was released in China. The Rock usually does well in China, and it would've probably added another 100M-200M to the final figure. I think he was expecting that, and it would've changed this whole "flop" narrative around.

King Poetic

A.K.A. Curve
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southern California
The Rock problem is he trying to do 20 different things all at once and rushing these bad movies like skyscraper or rampage and others just thinking I’m the rock and people automatically will see my shyt.. looking at his filmography over the past 6 years dude been doing a lot of work executive producing and writing… that’s the problem

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Black Adam had a budget of 260 million and made almost 400 million at the box office, how is that a flop?

They have to split 50% of gross revenues with movie chains. So in reality only $200 go to the studio. Also , The $260 million production budget doesn’t include marketing which was estimated at $80 million.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
He rushed the action star formula too quick. You supposed to build a brand of R rated classics with the adult male demographic and then go family friendly and appeal to wider audiences. He never secured the adult male audience though.
he went pg and pg 13 before releasing a single R rated classic.
Arnold had titties and gore in all his movies before he started trying to appeal to wider audiences with jingle all the way and kindergarten cop.

JamesJabdi

Superstar
Daps
They put a hit out on The Rock....i am not the biggest fan of him, but you can tell that some hollywood execs had it out for him. They were waiting on the one big flop like Black Adam to get him up outta here. Went from being one of the most bankable star in hollywood to being a flop artist with one movie.

We have seen stars like Tom Cruise and Christian Bale being caught on tape yelling at the film crew, but they don't get the "ohh they are a$$holes" treatment....they say "oh they are so professional and care about their craft:mjcry:".

If Mission Impossible movies were to flop they would put a hit out on Tom Cruise too for pushing to do stunts in real life and putting film crew in danger....Hollywood is a cold game.

Clark Wayne

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
FL
Black Adam had a budget of 260 million and made almost 400 million at the box office, how is that a flop?
Rule of thumb at the box office is usually films have to make usually 2x to 2.5x more than the budget.

Reason why is that the production budget doesn’t include the marketing money spent.

Marketing could usually end up costing as much as over $100 million.

When the studio is looking at losing that much money, that’s a flop. It’s a reason why after the poor box office Rock went back to F&F.

Daps
You're right that it's not an age thing, Liam Neeson was like 56 when the first Taken movie dropped. But the point is Rock has exhausted all his good will putting out mid action movies the past two decades. If he can't even give us one classic franchise or even single classic movie by now audiences and studios are way less likely to take a chance on him.
True. Schindler's List >>>>>>> anything Rock has done dramatically.

Rock doesn't have anything like THAT on his acting resume.

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
Here's the short of it: The Rock wanted to play Black Adam for ages and DC was all about it. However, the production of the movie took many twists and turns and Dwayne implanted many of his own people on the project, he was basically allowed to take near creative control of the entire thing. The budget ended up going completely out of control, some say it ballooned to over $250M.

So, he really needed it to be a big hit and it wasn't. It was a pretty big flop considering how much the budget was. The Rock also snubbed them on being in the Shazam universe until all of this was over with. Black Adam is the major antagonist to Shazam.

Meanwhile, Warner Bros. merged with Discovery and has a bunch of new executives.

The Rock attempted a power play against WB/Discovery and wanted them to greenlight a sequel with him and Henry Cavill returning as Superman.

The new executives told The Rock to get the hell out of here with that and James Gunn (coming over from Marvel who is now the new President of DC) announced a slate of new DC movies and none of them are going to feature Dwayne.

The Rock found out a lot about trying to make power plays vs. multi-billion dollar corporations. Very few in Hollywood would have gotten away with it, Actually I don't think anyone would.

He is now trying to rebuild his image.
Sad cause I actually liked the Black Adam film…
:mjcry:

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps
Rule of thumb at the box office is usually films have to make usually 2x to 2.5x more than the budget.

Reason why is that the production budget doesn’t include the marketing money spent.

Marketing could usually end up costing as much as over $100 million.

When the studio is looking at losing that much money, that’s a flop. It’s a reason why after the poor box office Rock went back to F&F.
That was just at the box office. I'm sure the movie continued making money. Also I've never heard of that rule. A movie has to make nearly 3 times as much.