Is there something going on with The Rock?

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Fast X is about to run into that situation as well

You keep saying that but I don't think so, not really. I doubt what some have said about the actual production budget but let's say the production budget and marketing combined was $450M. That's a crazy number sure. I'm not sure I believe that, we will know the real numbers soon enough. But let's say that's the number. The movie is right now on pace to make $700M+ maybe closer to $750M+

That's not quite 2x the budget but I think between digital/4K and TV Rights distribution it will end up turning a profit. The only thing is that they should try to cut down on that number for the next one.

These are still big money makers. Not many movies can cross the $700M mark these days.

Techniec

Drugs and Kalashnikovs
Daps
Reppin
W/S 416
Man fukk the rock this dude been wack as fukk and corny to me

I'm was a big wrestling fan coming up, this dude got played the fukk out back when all my peers were on his deck, repeating his goofy ass played out catchphrases

The ONLY time in his career this dude was actually entertaining was when he turned heel and became corporate Rock. That was the actual foundation for the character arc that later happened and what eventually became his public persona

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
You keep saying that but I don't think so, not really. I doubt what some have said about the actual production budget but let's say the production budget and marketing combined was $450M. That's a crazy number sure. I'm not sure I believe that, we will know the real numbers soon enough. But let's say that's the number. The movie is right now on pace to make $700M+ maybe closer to $750M+

That's not quite 2x the budget but I think between digital/4K and TV Rights distribution it will end up turning a profit. The only thing is that they should try to cut down on that number for the next one.

These are still big money makers. Not many movies can cross the $700M mark these days.
The fact that The Rock end credit scene leaked out in advance leads a lot of people to believe that they weren’t happy with the advanced numbers. Those numbers are real as we’ve been hearing about them for months now and the issues which have blown up the budget for that film.

That movie is more than likely not going to his $750+ million if you look at the international numbers especially China which isn’t bringing in bank like it used to.

I’m waiting for the inevitable hit piece as someone is going to have to take the blame for that films failure. That film just doesn’t have the juice like it used to.

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think the funniest thing about the rock is that he writes his contacts like he writes his wrestling contracts.

By that I mean he has stipulations regarding how much damage his character can take. His characters can only take so many punches and he CAN'T lose a fight.

No fukking way. :russ:

Monoblock

Smoooth
Daps
Reppin
Houston
No fukking way. :russ:
Nah its true. That's the issue they had with the fight scene b/w him and Vin Diesel. All of them had it in their contracts {Statham, Diesel, and The Rock)

The report said that “according to producers and crew members on the films, Mr. Statham, 51 years old, negotiated an agreement with the studio that limits how badly he can be beaten up on screen. Mr. Diesel, 52, has his younger sister, a producer on the films, police the number of punches he takes. And Mr. Johnson, 47, enlists producers, editors and fight coordinators to help make sure he always gives as good as he gets.”

“It’s like that old trope where an actor comes in and wants more closeups,” an unnamed editor told the WSJ. “They want more muscles.” The report cited the example of a scene in Furious 7, where The Rock was supposed lay on the ground before Diesel, but had the scene rewritten so that he was sitting instead. Diesel is said to have developed a counting system which assigns a score to every hit -- punches, kicks, headbutts -- his character takes, as away to keep a tab on who comes up on top.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Shazam was trash and the Rock wanted nothing to do with it. Because he didn't want to play a second rate villain in what was effectively a kids movie and he was right to do it.

Also Shazam 2 only made about $130 million Globally. Which is beyond pathetic.

As for Gunn, he could have gone for it but he has this weird hatred of Henry Cavill so he fired him as Superman instead of going with the Rock's idea of Black Adam vs Superman or Man of Steel 2. And the Rock was basically fired as well along with Gal Gadot also.

But now he's casting a new actor for Superman and he seems to want to cast a younger Henry Cavill look-a-like because he's an idiot.

Gadot hasn’t officially been fired yet. Gunn seems to want to keep working with her and Jason Mamoa but NOT the creative team behind Wonder Woman 2.

He had to kiss vin diesels ring

:mjlol:

The Rock and Vin Diesel made peace and agreed to work together again last summer BEFORE Black Adam came out and flopped. He didn’t kiss anybody’s ring thats not how it works with power players in Hollywood. Both Vin and Rock have a certain leverage and thats why it worked out to Rock getting his own standalone film BUT Diesel’s producing it (he didn’t produce on the Hobbs & Shaw spinoff) so now its an official chapter in the overall Fast & Furious franchise (meaning character cameos, crossovers, etc)

If your a star actor with a history of box office successes ONE flop isn’t going to kill you. Will Smith had like three flops in a row and was still getting $20 Million a check until he got hot again. Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Robert Downey Jr, Johnny Depp etc. They’ve ALL flopped before but they still got chances because as long as the audience recognizes your face your only one great script away from getting hot again.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
The fact that The Rock end credit scene leaked out in advance leads a lot of people to believe that they weren’t happy with the advanced numbers. Those numbers are real as we’ve been hearing about them for months now and the issues which have blown up the budget for that film.

That movie is more than likely not going to his $750+ million if you look at the international numbers especially China which isn’t bringing in bank like it used to.

I’m waiting for the inevitable hit piece as someone is going to have to take the blame for that films failure. That film just doesn’t have the juice like it used to.

Breh what? It's already over $600M as of yesterday. It's easily gonna cross $700M.

VoxSphere74

Banned
Daps
Hollywood TURNED ON HIM like they did with Will Smith.

Primarily because they STEPPED OUT of character :mjpls:

That's basically what happened. Because he refused to play second fiddle to a 2nd rate comic book character like Shazam in a movie that ultimately flopped (Shazam 2) and the cac nerds went at him for it.

Because after his plan with Black Adam vs Superman failed they said he'd been "humbled" :mjpls:

Now when's the last time cacs have said that about a cac actor after they didn't succeed at something?

In fact they were basically giddy about his plan failing.

But had it worked it possibly would have saved DC from its flop status. Because Ezra Miller is a joke. And Momoa isn't enough of a draw. Henry Cavill on the other hand as Superman would have helped but James Gunn fired him and Gal Gadot as well.

Last edited:

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

they have like a 5 year tv rights deal, so if they're losing 60 mil and they're not going to get a new TV deal, which would be the main way to up the revenue anytime soon... they're fukked.

their only way out would be for the NFL to buy them... which to me makes little sense. if the NFL wanted to do a minor league... why not just start their own shyt? there's no reason to give away money to buy up some meaningless XFL IP. whatever the NFL does will automatically be bigger than the XFL.

and that's if they wanted a minor league, which I'm not even sure what the logic in it is, but i've heard multiple people say their main goal is to sell to the NFL. but the NFL's shyt has been going just fine for decades without a minor league so....

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Typically horror movies when they are good, are very profitable. A great example is something like Smile that came out last year.

Cost $17 million and made $217 million.

Funny thing is that it was originally supposed to go straight to streaming but a producer saw it and had it put in theaters.

Similar situation with the recent Evil Dead. Estimated to cost between $15-$19 million and has made $145 million.

On the other end, the Justice League movie that came out in 2017, WB actually lost money on it even though it made $657 million. That’s because the budget was $300 million and that didn’t even include marketing.

The Black Phone too.

Cost $16 million, made $160 million.

Jason Blum been eating this way for decades.

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They put a hit out on The Rock....i am not the biggest fan of him, but you can tell that some hollywood execs had it out for him. They were waiting on the one big flop like Black Adam to get him up outta here. Went from being one of the most bankable star in hollywood to being a flop artist with one movie.

We have seen stars like Tom Cruise and Christian Bale being caught on tape yelling at the film crew, but they don't get the "ohh they are a$$holes" treatment....they say "oh they are so professional and care about their craft:mjcry:".

If Mission Impossible movies were to flop they would put a hit out on Tom Cruise too for pushing to do stunts in real life and putting film crew in danger....Hollywood is a cold game.

Rock was never a real A-list movie star. People kept trying to force others into believing he was but, he wasn't.

Will Smith, Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt are real deal A-listers. There are others I can name but, this is enough to prove my point.

They have the resumes to back it up. Action movies, comedy movies, serious film projects.

The Rock looks funny in comparison.