Is The Rock the most oversaturated Movie Star of All Time?

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Gotta strike while they're still willing to give him money. When it's all said and done, his legacy will be similar to Avatar: a bunch of money made with no imprint to show for it (in the film world anyway).
That's the most accurate take on his filmography I've ever read :picard:

I wish more "movie stars" would at least take a more risky or out of the box role every few years. I'd love Rock's catalogue way more if he even had 2 or 3 really unique or creative roles thrown in the mix.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Samuel Jackson would like to have a word with this thread...

samuel-jackson-stare.gif
Sam Jackson isn't a traditional "movie star" though. He's an actor's actor and he is super passionate about the craft. Sam loves to work, and he'll do everything from blockbuster Marvel flicks al the way to Redbox and Walmart 5$ bargain bin flicks. He'll take a leading role, a supporting role, or a 3 minute cameo.

Sam's also got classics and classics for days.

He makes way more movies than Dwayne Johnson, and (unless it's changed) Sam Jackson may have done more movies than anyone in the past 30 years or so (Nicholas Cage is up there too).

IMO oversaturation isn't a great description for Jackson, especially at this point in his career.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
is it Rock's fault the movies are trash? it's not like Arnold wrote The Terminator or Predator himself

maybe he became famous during a trash era for mainstream hollywood blockbusters?
There's dope roles out there, and the amount of scripts that get sent to actors is insane.

There have been lots of mainstream actors that have found passion projects and really made sacrifices and pushes to make certain projects happen. Rocky was a Sylvester Stallone passion project. James Cameron wasn't big on wanting Arnold to be the Terminator at first (he wanted Lance Henriksen to play the part) but Arnold pushed for it. And Arnold had gone on a recent run of indie films where he's at least trying to display more range: Maggie, Aftermath, Sabotage, and Last Stand. The John Wick script got its way to Keanu and he went for it. Woody and Matthew did a TV show because they liked the script so much.

Even Will Smith pushed for After Earth. It's a bad movie, but it was still a passion project that Will pushed to make.

Like, there's no way that Dwayne Johnson hasn't had some really good material sent his way over the past 10-15 years.

JoseLuisGotcha

Aka Allhiphopsux
Daps
Reppin
#717 --> #215 #PA #ByrdGang
I don’t think oversaturated but more like no range he stays in the that pocket

i would like to see him take on a drastically different role but then again he can’t go too dark with it cause he’ll fukk up that Disney Money

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
I don’t think oversaturated but more like no range he stays in the that pocket

i would like to see him take on a drastically different role but then again he can’t go too dark with it cause he’ll fukk up that Disney Money

He already did that with Pain and Gain and Southland Tales

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
is it Rock's fault the movies are trash? it's not like Arnold wrote The Terminator or Predator himself

maybe he became famous during a trash era for mainstream hollywood blockbusters?
It means he or his agent aren't good at choosing roles. Also i know for fact the rock puts clauses in his contracts that affect the quality of the films.
Like his character isn't allowed to get beat up of take any sort of L's. Doesn't want any overtly sexual stuff in the films like female nudity out of respect for his wife and stuff like that. basically limits him in what he can do artistically. His best route is essentially what he's doing with black adam. Super hero movies. Otherwise he would need to do more rated R action film like Arnold did to become so successful, but he not willing to cut out the family audience.

Pseudo

All Star
Daps
Why is he getting paid this much. Are his movies making that much bank at the box office?