Is the idea of Kobe as a chucker, a myth?

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
And yes, the thought of him as a chucker is a myth.

From '99-'13 he averaged less than 20FGA. In that time span, the Lakers were almost always a top 10 offense in the league and Kobe was the top playmaker on all of those teams outside of maybe '04. Even the shytty '05-'07 teams finished no lower than 8th.
Where are you getting these numbers from :gucci:? 1999-2000 and 2003-04 are the only seasons in that span he was under 20 shots per game. I would certainly hope he was their top playmaker through those years considering they never really paired him with an all star caliber point guard or small forward during those years. The only other players during those years that really even had the opportunities to pick up a bunch of assists were Shaq, Pau, and Odom aside from one year of Gary Payton, who never really fit in the triangle anyway, and Steve Nash who was always hurt.

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Where are you getting these numbers from :gucci:? 1999-2000 and 2003-04 are the only seasons in that span he was under 20 shots per game. I would certainly hope he was their top playmaker through those years considering they never really paired him with an all star caliber point guard or small forward during those years. The only other players during those years that really even had the opportunities to pick up a bunch of assists were Shaq, Pau, and Odom aside from one year of Gary Payton, who never really fit in the triangle anyway, and Steve Nash who was always hurt.
My bad, that was '97-'13. From '99-'13 he was at 21.1FGA which still isn't that much for his talent level and position IMO.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
My bad, that was '97-'13. From '99-'13 he was at 21.1FGA which still isn't that much for his talent level and position IMO.
A better measurement to use is shots per 100 possessions if you want to gauge how much he shot compared to his peers since some of these teams could’ve been vastly apart in terms of pace they played at. On a per 100 possessions basis, he shot more than LeBron, Shaq, Wade, KD, and Curry. For Shaq I’m just looking at his career in Los Angeles.

ALonelyDad

Veteran
Daps
People will swear by TS% but now it’s different :mjlol:

I agree though context always matters, too bad it doesn’t when arguing about Kobe

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
A better measurement to use is shots per 100 possessions if you want to gauge how much he shot compared to his peers since some of these teams could’ve been vastly apart in terms of pace they played at. On a per 100 possessions basis, he shot more than LeBron, Shaq, Wade, KD, and Curry. For Shaq I’m just looking at his career in Los Angeles.
Again, I don't think that's unreasonable given his talent and position. That still doesn't make him a "chucker" especially given that he was above league TS% for most of his career and that his offenses he was a part of were consistently good.

Wade would be his closest comp given era and position. From '06 to '10, Wade averaged 27.7FGA(Bron at 28.1FGA during that period) with Kobe coming in at 29.7FGA during the same time period. Per 100, that's not very significant to me and not unreasonable given Kobe's style of play and what he was expected to do.

For comparison's sake, MJ from '96-'98 was at 32FGA per 100.

Dwight Howard

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
True shooting percentage accounts for free throws and big men are always poor foul shooters. Duncan shot his at 69.6% while Kobe shot his at 83.7%. From the field, you’re looking for effective field goal. Duncan was at .507 while Kobe was at .482. Yes Kobe was a chucker.
That's not a huge gap at all considering the types of shots each player take. No other player in the history of the game, outside of Jordan, could maintain love's fg% given the types of shots he took.

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
That's not a huge gap at all considering the types of shots each player take. No other player in the history of the game, outside of Jordan, could maintain love's fg% given the types of shots he took.
It's an extremely small gap considering that Kobe was asked to shoulder much, much more offensively than Duncan was during a time that was very iso heavy and post play was still function of most offenses. Kobe would see much larger boost from today's offenses than Tim IMO.

Last edited:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The jordan and Kobe comparisons never end with you guys

:mjlol: