Is the idea of Kobe as a chucker, a myth?

Trojan 24

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Just Win Baby
This thread reads like an episode of The Twilight Zone.

Kobe stans are probably the most anti-analytics group there is (or what they perceive to be analytics), yet they're using a piece that's based on analytics to prop up Kobe, whilst folks are running in here talking about that's why they hate analytics and nerds. Bizzare I tell ya.

It's called trolling bud

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
He’s also the second leading Laker in assists as well...

Kobe was a SHOOTING guard... it was his job to shoot the basketball and he did it without a single fukk given about his stats.

He was trying to win... he was trying to get more than 6 rings and be better than MJ. If his team was trash, he took even more wild shots. If his team could score, he fed them the ball to get them going, ran plays, focused on defense, etc.

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love

If you took statistics in college, the very first day of class before you ever opened the book most professors tell you you can manipulate statistics to support pretty much any case/point YOU wanna make :unimpressed:

So sorry, in my eyes when i think of chuckers i still see Kobe as the poster child

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
People forget when Kobe finally went to the Olympic team, Kobe was a team player all the way. Didn’t take many crazy shots, focused on getting other guys going, playing defense, and when it was time to score he did it efficiently. Single handedly kept them from losing Gold AGAIN with a couple of his games.

Kobe shot if he felt like they needed it. People forget how garbage the last few laker teams were that he was on. His best team was when he was with Pau and Odom, with Bynum, Brown, Vuvajic, etc. Kobe made those players better.

Cyber

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Tennessee
I can't call someone that's shooting above league average efficiency a chucker, guys like Westbrook and AI would be actual chuckers.

But Kobe did take some (and sometimes made) ridiculous shots. He technically was one but due to the negative connotation it should be reserved for those who merit the negative connotation.

cobra

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
True shooting percentage accounts for free throws and big men are always poor foul shooters. Duncan shot his at 69.6% while Kobe shot his at 83.7%. From the field, you’re looking for effective field goal. Duncan was at .507 while Kobe was at .482. Yes Kobe was a chucker.
/thread

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
That was some shytty manipulation of numbers. Can they calculate Kobe’s VORP and compare it to Duncan’s? :sas2:

How about his EFG?:sas1:

Kobe has the most shots missed in nba history for a reason
Most missed shots because he's a shooting guard that played 20 years. :rudy:

Duncan TS% - 55.1%
Kobe TS% - 55.0%

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
And yes, the thought of him as a chucker is a myth.

From '99-'13 he averaged less than 20FGA. In that time span, the Lakers were almost always a top 10 offense in the league and Kobe was the top playmaker on all of those teams outside of maybe '04. Even the shytty '05-'07 teams finished no lower than 8th.