Is Spider-Man the most unique idea for a superhero?

LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD / Charlotte, NC
it was really answering the title but what I was trying to say was that spider-man is not entirely unique himself.
but I got another one that copied him
Black Spider

250px-Detective_Comics_463-1stCalc-BlkSpdr.jpg

Yeah the only connection is in the name for Black Spider for the majority of his existence. I can't think of one real parallel with Parker, even his personal struggles don't match up seeing as they're 90% self inflicted and he tends to either kill or go right up to the edge of it in all the character's incarnations. Even in the animated side of things when he was with Suicide Squad and went up against Batman his skills were just terrible.

There just aren't many characters off top that share the intellect, abilities, character qualities, and struggles even in the most broad strokes that you can say "This guy reminds me of Peter Parker." and that's Marvel, DC, Image, etc. I'd actually say Static, young version, was the closest I can think of.

Had a freak accident, genius intellect, built tech out the mud, hectic personal life, consummate good guy who's always underestimated and undervalued in his universe but held in high esteem by the locals.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Yeah the only connection is in the name for Black Spider for the majority of his existence. I can't think of one real parallel with Parker, even his personal struggles don't match up seeing as they're 90% self inflicted and he tends to either kill or go right up to the edge of it in all the character's incarnations. Even in the animated side of things when he was with Suicide Squad and went up against Batman his skills were just terrible.

There just aren't many characters off top that share the intellect, abilities, character qualities, and struggles even in the most broad strokes that you can say "This guy reminds me of Peter Parker." and that's Marvel, DC, Image, etc. I'd actually say Static, young version, was the closest I can think of.

Had a freak accident, genius intellect, built tech out the mud, hectic personal life, consummate good guy who's always underestimated and undervalued in his universe but held in high esteem by the locals.

Yep, even just the overall aesthetic, if you stray to close to making your own spider-man people will notice immediately, no point in even trying. He’s the most iconic non-caped hero in design

detail.jpg

TaxCollector13459

2018 Coli Rookie of the Year
Daps
I know at the end of the day it’s more of a Sentai thing but the structure and tone of the two movies are eerily similar/funny :russ:

True them 90s shows got a certain flair to em.

Guyver was a lil darker and they used more martial arts techniques

humminbird

Veteran
Daps

no one is ever going to 100% copy another character like that down to the qualities. there are many characters that have like 80% of these qualities though
Danny phantom is the closest character I can think of that has most of those listed

Last edited:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Id say Green Lantern mythos or Billy Batson's Captain Marvel.

TaxCollector13459

2018 Coli Rookie of the Year
Daps
no one is ever going to 100% copy another character like that down to the qualities. there are many characters that have like 80% of these qualities though
Danny phantom is the closest character I can think of that has most of those listed

Easiest way of getting sued most def

Daredevil pretty close now I think about it

Freak accident, prolly considered tier below genius, far as we know builds his own equipment.

His highentened senses can essentially give notice like spidersense albeit in a different way

voltronblack

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Kamen riders vary from rider to rider. Some are organic, some technical, some magic.

shin is closer to this than black

7KqmKnd.jpg

The guyver definitely feels like a precursor to star kid
:patrice: nah I think shin is way too out there to be compare to Jaime Reyes/Blue Beetle I think maybe more Kamen Rider Amazon

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
I don’t get that reasoning, superman is like the oldest comic book character and there’s been like 100 clones of him, marvel alone got like 5 superman characters, and dc got like 4 other ones. Theres theres like the other one-off interpretations of him, like Omni-man, homelander, brightburn, etc.

No one has really even bothered to try to recreate spider-man, outside of the peter parker archetype
there are a bunch of marvel spiderman clones (literally). Not all of them have the same bug powers because bugs are a hard sell. A flying brick like Superman is an easy copy and paste. Plus Superman got 40 years on Spidey. Mainstream comic writers practically stopped copying each other when Spider-Man came out.

There's a trope page full of Spider-Man wannabes

The most faithful yet unique spiderman clone is from a internet serial novel called Worm. MC is a loner high school crime fighter who can control bugs and fights way above her weight class, the police hate her, and needed to invent her own gadgets/ way of fighting to make up for shortcomings.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Deku w/ Blackwhip closer to Spider-Man than Hanta, bruh. TBH before he got Float, Deku was running around that whole arc as basically Spider-Man w/ Consequences :mjlol: Mans even literally has a Spidey Sense now

This.

The creator is a Spider-Stan himself.

As to @Gizmo_Duck 's point.

The answer is yes.

Spider-Man is lightning in a bottle as far as Super Heroes go.

He broke almost every convention of the day.

He was a kid when he got his powers. He had to learn on the fly.

He experienced tragedy after tragedy but he wasn't broken by it. It strengthened his resolve.

He had real people problems. Trouble maintaining friendships, relationships, even jobs.

He operates in a relatively small but dense radius and his villian's range from geniuses to psychos, wealthy to working class jobbers just trying to put food on their table.

Its really a unique combination.

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
This.

The creator is a Spider-Stan himself.

As to @Gizmo_Duck 's point.

The answer is yes.

Spider-Man is lightning in a bottle as far as Super Heroes go.

He broke almost every convention of the day.

He was a kid when he got his powers. He had to learn on the fly.

He experienced tragedy after tragedy but he wasn't broken by it. It strengthened his resolve.

He had real people problems. Trouble maintaining friendships, relationships, even jobs.

He operates in a relatively small but dense radius and his villian's range from geniuses to psychos, wealthy to working class jobbers just trying to food on their table.

Its really a unique combination.

Yeah, the thing about peter parker (and now miles) is that everyone can kind of relate to them. You think about, “what if i got bit by spider”? That great power and great responsibility line is so universal.

Where as a lot of DC heroes you look at them like gods, like they shouldn’t exist. Same with even people like iron-man, he’s a billionaire, people don’t relate to them. Captain America is from another time period, etc.

peter parker is just a kid