Is Spider-Man the most unique idea for a superhero?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
As animal-man once said only having the powers of a spider sucks :mjpls:

That sounds more like Vixen than Spider-Man

voltronblack

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That sounds more like Vixen than Spider-Man
No it is animal-man that came first Film stunt man Buddy Baker, to whom aliens gave animal-themed powers, debuted in Strange Adventures #180 (cover-dated September 1965) and vixen Vixen was intended to be the first African female DC superhero to star in her own series, but the first issue of her series was cancelled in the DC Implosion in 1978, never to be released. The story was subsequently printed in Cancelled Comic Cavalcade.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
No it is animal-man that came first Film stunt man Buddy Baker, to whom aliens gave animal-themed powers, debuted in Strange Adventures #180 (cover-dated September 1965) and vixen Vixen was intended to be the first African female DC superhero to star in her own series, but the first issue of her series was cancelled in the DC Implosion in 1978, never to be released. The story was subsequently printed in Cancelled Comic Cavalcade.

Im saying the power set feels more related to her or Beast Boy than Spider-Man. I don’t really see how it relates to the latter

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
You're being willfully obtuse or you didn't read brehs post in it's entirety. Tarantula has nothing in common with Spider Man outside the name and shooting what amounts to stringy cement out of pistols. They chose a name and gave him something that matched and that was it, there's no depth or symmetry in his origin or abilities.
it was really answering the title but what I was trying to say was that spider-man is not entirely unique himself.
but I got another one that copied him
Black Spider

250px-Detective_Comics_463-1stCalc-BlkSpdr.jpg

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
To me, Spider-man feels like the only superhero of his kind. Theres no DC or Image equivilent, which is rare. I can think of a counter-part to almost every other marvel hero in some other form of media but not Spider-Man. It seems like its such a unique idea it would almost be copyright infringement to borrow too much from it.

I think the closest thing is the idea of batman grappling and swinging around but he doesn’t really do it like spider-man. Spider-Man is pretty much an acrobat that exists mostly in mid-town manhattan and can’t exist anywhere else really. No one else swings around like that, can crawl on surfaces, has an actual defined personality and characters outside of his costume, and has a rogue gallery on the same level outside of Batman.

His costume is also pretty unique too. No one else would ever think to wear some shyt like that if they were gonna become a superhero. shyt looks mad uncomfortable.
Naw not really alot of heors have a tragic origin. I think what made him unique was that his personal life was a mess.

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
He may be the unique in his initial creation. Hero Academia has made their equivalent of him in Hanta Sero.
Deku w/ Blackwhip closer to Spider-Man than Hanta, bruh. TBH before he got Float, Deku was running around that whole arc as basically Spider-Man w/ Consequences :mjlol: Mans even literally has a Spidey Sense now

voltronblack

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Thats what I mean when i referred to his true identity. Spider-Man was really one of the first “average guys” trying to keep their personal lives together, pay rent, relationships, go to school, etc.
:russ: I always find that to be funny peter parker on paper is a super scientist he just has shyt luck .

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
The circumstances, power set, costume design, and personality is very unique to spider-man
Meh. Lots of superhero's have super strength. Lots of super heroes have super stamina. Lots of superhero's have some sort of "sense" or "power" that alerts them to danger.

There is NOTHING original about Peter Parker personality. The super smart white guy who acts all meager in his everyday life but in his crime fighting life has the power to crush any normal person but he is so noble that he decides not to. Thats a top 5 cac fictional character trope.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Meh. Lots of superhero's have super strength. Lots of super heroes have super stamina. Lots of superhero's have some sort of "sense" or "power" that alerts them to danger.

There is NOTHING original about Peter Parker personality. The super smart white guy who acts all meager in his everyday life but in his crime fighting life has the power to crush any normal person but he is so noble that he decides not to. Thats a top 5 cac fictional character trope.

Spider-Man was created in the 60’s him being a struggling student and freelance photographer was all apart of his story, it was very unique to him at the time. He was the only superhero who had a focus on his personal life impeding upon his crime fighting, no comics ever cared about the day to day life of Bruce wayne and Clark Kent’s struggles of his day to day life never really mattered until modern stories. Superman and batman put on alternate persona’s n their day to day life, peter parker was really just an average dude and spiderman was his alter ego.

And yeah a lot of super heroes have those powers but the way spider-man is represented isn’t just about being strong, or super nimble. He’s depicted 90% of the time swinging, hanging upside down, on the side of a building, etc.

No other super hero shares that lane with spider-man. A lot caped heroes but none like spidey