Is Spider-Man the most unique idea for a superhero?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
To me, Spider-man feels like the only superhero of his kind. Theres no DC or Image equivilent, which is rare. I can think of a counter-part to almost every other marvel hero in some other form of media but not Spider-Man. It seems like its such a unique idea it would almost be copyright infringement to borrow too much from it.

I think the closest thing is the idea of batman grappling and swinging around but he doesn’t really do it like spider-man. Spider-Man is pretty much an acrobat that exists mostly in mid-town manhattan and can’t exist anywhere else really. No one else swings around like that, can crawl on surfaces, has an actual defined personality and characters outside of his costume, and has a rogue gallery on the same level outside of Batman.

His costume is also pretty unique too. No one else would ever think to wear some shyt like that if they were gonna become a superhero. shyt looks mad uncomfortable.

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
no
before spider-man there was a superhero called the tarantula
he would travel through the city with webs but wouldn't swing.
main-qimg-3c986d707893e33540ab751047d478b1-pjlq

they did an excellent remix though and no idea is truly original

Last edited:

LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD / Charlotte, NC
no
before spider-man there was a superhero called the tarantula
he would travel through the city with webs but wouldn't swing.
main-qimg-3c986d707893e33540ab751047d478b1-pjlq

they did an excellent remix though and no idea is truly original
You're being willfully obtuse or you didn't read brehs post in it's entirety. Tarantula has nothing in common with Spider Man outside the name and shooting what amounts to stringy cement out of pistols. They chose a name and gave him something that matched and that was it, there's no depth or symmetry in his origin or abilities.

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
To me, Spider-man feels like the only superhero of his kind. Theres no DC or Image equivilent
The current version of blue beetle is basically "what if Peter Parker was Iron man instead of Tony stark"

Swinging around the city is something batman was already doing, and if I remember correctly daredevil has his own grappling hook and is acrobatic. They've teamed up together before so they were basically just swinging around the city doing flips and shyt while strategizing.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
The current version of blue beetle is basically "what if Peter Parker was Iron man instead of Tony stark"

Swinging around the city is something batman was already doing, and if I remember correctly daredevil has his own grappling hook and is acrobatic. They've teamed up together before so they were basically just swinging around the city doing flips and shyt while strategizing.

I still think DC got the idea for BB from Star Kid :russ:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Spiderman has had several decades and multiple generations of talented writers to build his character. He's unique in that respect but he's a Frankensteined type of a character.

I don’t get that reasoning, superman is like the oldest comic book character and there’s been like 100 clones of him, marvel alone got like 5 superman characters, and dc got like 4 other ones. Theres theres like the other one-off interpretations of him, like Omni-man, homelander, brightburn, etc.

No one has really even bothered to try to recreate spider-man, outside of the peter parker archetype

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Definitely my goat as a kid,and its going to stay that way regardless of the movies always being mid:francis:

voltronblack

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don’t get that reasoning, superman is like the oldest comic book character and there’s been like 100 clones of him, marvel alone got like 5 superman characters, and dc got like 4 other ones. Theres theres like the other one-off interpretations of him, like Omni-man, homelander, brightburn, etc.

No one has really even bothered to try to recreate spider-man, outside of the peter parker archetype
As animal-man once said only having the powers of a spider sucks :mjpls: