Is returnal game of the year so far?

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Keep changing the goalposts faggit. What was the 2021 video game that "transcended beyond their demographic"? I'm waiting.
Read the thread title you emotional little fakkit.

a bold claim when everyone and their grandmother makes a GOTY list
Pull up or shut up. Stand on your standom.

Pick an award group that you think it will win and stand on it.

homiedontplaydat

Omniversal Guardian
Supporter
Daps
Its a top 10 game of all time for me :yeshrug:

The only thing holding it back from being perfect is the story is so damn confusing. Thats where Hades does it better imo..

Come to think of it

Hades is slowly creeping up my all time games list too:jbhmm:

If I count it as a 2021 release(PS5 version) I might put Hades right next to Returnal this year. I put 150 hours into Returnal and im currently at 100 with Hades.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Its a top 10 game of all time for me :yeshrug:

The only thing holding it back from being perfect is the story is so damn confusing. Thats where Hades does it better imo..

Come to think of it

Hades is slowly creeping up my all time games list too:jbhmm:

If I count it as a 2021 release(PS5 version) I might put Hades right next to Returnal this year. I put 150 hours into Returnal and im currently at 100 with Hades.

Yeah i think these two games, along with maybe dead cells really brought rogue lites to the mainstream. They are still relatively niche but damn i never thought I’d see the day when they are nominated for GOTY

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
Yeah i think these two games, along with maybe dead cells really brought rogue lites to the mainstream. They are still relatively niche but damn i never thought I’d see the day when they are nominated for GOTY

I personally liked Returnal better than R & C, and I like Rift Apart. :yeshrug:

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
A lot of people do

Returnal was something completely new and unique to AAA gaming. It put Housemarque on the map def
Same. Both were extremely fun, but Returnal edges it out.

Returnal is a niche title and the game is challenging. Most people aint gonna put a game like that as GoTY without a lot of hype prior too release which Returnal didn't have.

I'll say this if TLOU2 can win GoTY, Returnal should too since being a niche title shouldn't disqualify you from contention.

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange
Returnal and Deathloop are my games of the year. If Returnal wasn't a rogue like I can see how it would be more palatable for some. I still haven't beaten it but that's my fault. I got R&C, then I got Deathloop. If I don't beat something in a certain amount of time I'll go on to something else. Right now I'm enjoying just fukking around in Deathloop too much to go back.

breakfuss

#SHAMBLES
Supporter
Daps
It isn't supposed to have a save system it is a Rogue-Lite. I just think to be a Rogue-Lite the game is a little too long for one sitting. You can run through Hades in about 45 minutes, Returnal on average takes like 4-6 hours which for the genre is a LOOOONG game.
I'm confused because it seems like you're both agreeing and disagreeing. I know what a rogue-lite is and many, including Hades, have save instances. It obviously doesn't mean you can pick back up from where you last died. If I'm in the middle of a run and need to back out I should be allowed. As for the "just use suspend" argument...it means I can't play anything else and if a game needs to be updated (which is constant) the game suspension gets murked. It's a gross oversight IMO. I'll still pick it up but I would've already bought it had they included this.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Returnal is a niche title and the game is challenging. Most people aint gonna put a game like that as GoTY without a lot of hype prior too release which Returnal didn't have.

I'll say this if TLOU2 can win GoTY, Returnal should too since being a niche title shouldn't disqualify you from contention.

Illmatic wasn't the biggest/hottest hip-hop album in its year of release (consensus-wise) and is heralded as one of the greatest hip-hop albums of all time, let alone was still touted as album of the year at the end of the day everywhere that it mattered.

Not sure why folks always figure that something needs to meet arbitrary milestones with no real standardization just in order to label something as great or the opposite and think that meeting arbitrary numbers automatically establishes greatness.

Last edited: