Is Logan the best superhero movie ever?

Black Nate Grey

The God Emperor of Mankind
Daps
Nah for me:
Man of Steel (Personally my favorite that's why it's #1, TDK is objectively better in some areas).
TDK
Dr. Strange (movie felt rushed though, pacing could have been better).

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Not much, since I liked it just fine. My "beef" is only that people are acting like this does some never seen before storytelling or character work when it really is just a straight forward story full of genre tropes that gets overrated because its approach is a bit more serious than people are used to from the genre.

To me the overblown praise for Logan boils down to people who (whether they want to admit it or not) are so desperate to have superhero movies recognized as "respectable" movies (eg. not mindless summer blockbusters) that every movie that peeks a little bit outside that box gets overrated just for trying even if the actual movie is only decent at best.

I'm not even going to bother quoting @FlyRy whining about my Age Of Ultron review again like I'm supposed to give a damn. But I will love to see you guys defend Logan's incredibly shytty bad guy(s) while complaining for three plus about Marvel producing weak unmemorable villains.
Arrays talked about the villain in the Logan thread and the guardians thread. I know you won't go read it lol but it's been defended.

But I figured if anyone would love Logan it'd be you

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I say it's up there because it doesn't feel like a Superhero movie. If you notice anyone that has Dark Knight and Winter Soldier as their 1 and 2 or vice versa, those movies don't feel like Superhero movies. Bringing in realism made them more enjoyable and even though they all have super skills and strength, they still feel more human than hero.

But that's me though :hubie: I only saw Logan once.

Monoblock

Smoooth
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I've got the blu which has the directors cut and the whole 9. I like it but I don't think it's THAT dope. That opening is awesome but I think Snyder missed the point of the comic by being so slavish to it, if that makes any sense. It's definitely a gorgeous flick though and of course its an interesting story but I just think he was way too literal and on the nose with shyt. Like the "what happened to the american dream?" "It came true" exchange. Funny enough, I think batman v superman and man of steel are better deconstructions than watchmen, which is all about deconstruction.
I understand your point but I guess since I've had the graphic novel for so long and read it so many times it held a special place in my heart and seeing it on screen turned me into a kid again. I think he did the book justice and him being on the nose the way he was was intentional. I mean back when it dropped the shyt was a little too close to home and seemed like it could really happen with the nukes. Rorschach was spot on. The Comedian was dope and true to character, and Dr. Manhattan looked better than I ever thought he could (glad they fixed his wardrobe issue). I had issues with his voice but other than that he was cool. Little things they included just made it special (The Pagliacci story, the little girl/dog story, the flashback to Vietnam). Definitely in my top 5 comic book movies.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I understand your point but I guess since I've had the graphic novel for so long and read it so many times it held a special place in my heart and seeing it on screen turned me into a kid again. I think he did the book justice and him being on the nose the way he was was intentional. I mean back when it dropped the shyt was a little too close to home and seemed like it could really happen with the nukes. Rorschach was spot on. The Comedian was dope and true to character, and Dr. Manhattan looked better than I ever thought he could (glad they fixed his wardrobe issue). I had issues with his voice but other than that he was cool. Little things they included just made it special (The Pagliacci story, the little girl/dog story, the flashback to Vietnam). Definitely in my top 5 comic book movies.
Word I feel that. My on the nose comment comes from the dialogue though. There's nuance in the novel with themes and dialogue and as I've said before Snyder isn't nuance guy lol. Which works for some things but doesn't for others.

It yeah the characters were all on point and you can tell he loves the book which is a plus for cats who love the book as well.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
It's hard to judge because for me TDK and WS both had a shock factor of me not expecting either to be great, and then both were excellent...and CW and Logan where movies that I expected to be very good and both were even better than I thought...and I think it is much harder for a film to live up to a high expectation than to surpass a "blah" expectation...

The more I've watched TDK so much of the shine has come off it to the point that to me Heath carried that whole movie...if you just replace him with any other actor on earth the whole tone of the movie changes...

WS and CW are still great to me but those are more ensemble movies where each individual part is so good that nothing drags the movie down...

Logan is a completely different movie and tone...a guy taking care of an old man trying to get a little girl to a certain place while being pursued...so it doesn't have the scope of TDK or WS or CW...it doesn't have the same amount of characters...it doesn't have some overarching political tone like those movies do...it doesn't have any plot twist like those movies do...it doesn't have the "there is something deeper" aspect these movies do...it doesn't try to say something about society like these movies do...

Hard to say it's the best...I think I will go CW over it...specifically because I think it did the hardest thing to do in a superhero movie...which is have a ton of characters in it and still feel like a great movie instead of just 2 hours of screen sharing and face time...but to me Logan does the second hardest thing to do in a superhero movie...have minimum characters...lay all its cards on the table early and have minimum story...and still be great...still pull you in even though you probably know how it turns out way before it turns out...