Is it widely known that Hip Hop/Rap was born in Jamaica?

Daps
none of them said they were influenced by the guys yall keep pushing.

Because they were not. Those guys took the culture directly from NY, never heard or enjoyed the Jamaican stuff. Jamaican culture influenced only a few HH founding fathers, not all of them.

What yall are doing is trying to make connections from the similarities, but that isn't how things happened. We know this because the people who were around are still alive to tell you, so why do yall keep ignoring them, only to tell the story with what feels good to you?

1) Kool Herc, one of the fathers of Hip Hop, says there's Jamaican influence in HH. Born and raised in Kingston, he states so in the video I showed you (and on the Combat Jack show you mentioned). I'm not saying K.Herc is the only creator. Not saying Jamaica is the origin or main influence of HH. Just saying it's a very important influence in HH, often ignored.

As far as I know... to take two badass speakers and party on the streets come from Sounds Systems and yard culture (what K.Herc started to do on the States). As for records, they were the first to massively produce hundreds of thousands of them with a base music (riddim) and a guy talking/rapping/toasting over it. As for concerts, Jamaicans were the first ones creating events consisting in no band, but vinyl music and some guys with a mic. No need for musicians... just music, a couple mics and some nikkas flowing over it. That's the influence of Jamaican culture over HH, not the music (Jamaican music never went big in the states until Bob Marley), not the toasting style.

2) I couldn't care less about the matter. I don't give a damn if we all discover HH created by some guy in Japan. I'm from London, I happen to love both HH & Jamaican music. When listening to JA "oldies", I realised there's a connection. I thought... why did no one talk about this? why is there an evident connection not shown in documentaries etc...? and googled the shyt out of the issue... and landed here.

The second video was from 1964, which was when JAMES BROWN was the man, and it was a ska record, which means i'm sure his style was influenced by a mixture of that 50's style. Somewhere i will probably find someone "toasting" in some american 1950's record. It's like yall keep forgetting how big, and influential James Brown, and other black american musicians were to black music all over the world.

Man... we're talking different things here. American music has been huge in Jamaica. I don't think anyone can deny it. Black American musicians were the foundation of Jamaican music (namely R&B). Everybody knows it.

But that doesn't mean Jamaicans disn't develop their own culture and brought back some of that own Jamaican style to America. Some of you Americans try to ignore it but it is a fact.

As far as Kool herc, that sounds nice, but he was just on Combat Jack in 2014, and he still never made that statement you made. And again, he didn't do any toasting. Did you read this thread? This was explained already!

Check your facts: min 5:45 Combat Jack show. Mr Herc talks about Bill Crosby, Motown, James Brown... and then Don Drummon, Skatalites, Byron Lee, Prince Buster, U-Roy, Big Youth... so he's basically saying his music comes from American AND Jamaican influences.

Last edited:
Daps
his should help you better understand the origins of what jamaicans call "toasting" and the USA didn't outside influences to develop "rapping". Afram's ARE THE ROOTS of American Rap and Jamaican Toasting!

I've got nothing to understand. I already know afram music is the origin of Jamaican music. From R&B to Soul (almost every Jamaican star has a great cover of Soul/R&B). That's openly admitted by any living person in Jamaica:

What you seem to be missing is a piece of the puzzle where... suddenly in the 50's a concert is made of nothing but two speakers, base music and some nikkas flowing over it with a mic. Does that ring a bell? yes, that's the way HH gigs are played TODAY. And for f#ck's sake don't look up in Youtube for a concert from 1764 where fukking Mozard rapped over music. Don't bring american DJ's from the 20's "toasting" over music. I'm taking about a nikka flowing over music being:
1) the only event of a concert, every weekend, attracting thousands of people
2) Records, hundreds of thousands of them, being massively produced and bought by the masses with nikkas flowing (not singing) over music
That particular way of playing and enjoying music was brought back to the States and assimilated into HH culture.

As for beatboxing, very cute videos from the 30's but a shytty ancestror... beatboxing is better represented here:

FYI "making songs with your voice" existed since the Middle ages in Europe. It's not even afram souce

From my perspective, what Jamaicans did to influence HH in the 80's was to make vocal percusion big, not imitating or replacing drums, but adding character to the song. They recorded it in a million records and played it in a million gigs. Essentially, it made beatboxing popular and "cool". It's not singing to an instrument, it focuses in percussion.

Almost every ska instrumental has drums "beatboxed" over music.

Respect

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
What you seem to be missing is a piece of the puzzle where... suddenly in the 50's a concert is made of nothing but two speakers, base music and some nikkas flowing over it with a mic. Does that ring a bell? yes, that's the way HH gigs are played TODAY. And for f#ck's sake don't look up in Youtube for a concert from 1764 where fukking Mozard rapped over music. Don't bring american DJ's from the 20's "toasting" over music. I'm taking about a nikka flowing over music being:
1) the only event of a concert, every weekend, attracting thousands of people
2) Records, hundreds of thousands of them, being massively produced and bought by the masses with nikkas flowing (not singing) over music
That particular way of playing and enjoying music was brought back to the States and assimilated into HH culture.

What Im trying to tell you is that it wasn't brought to the states, the evolution was already happening in the states. There is no missing link, the link is R&B radio w/ DJ's and musicians doing typical Afram slick talk/rhyming

Behind The Mic and On The Set: The Legends Of New York Radio

My name is Ken ‘Spider Webb” and I have been on the radio waking New Yorkers for over 50 years. I have worked at WBLS 107.5 FM, 98.7 KISS FM, and WWRL 1600 AM and now I can be heard weekdays on Sirius XM Soul Town from 6am -12:00pm. I am reaching out to you to support my documentary “Behind the Mic and On the Set: The Legends of New York Radio.”

My campaign is designed to shed light on the journey of a group of people in the greatest city in the world whose unsung story has never been acknowledged or documented in the annals of radio history. Nowhere can you find substantial information on the journey of African American radio pioneers and their historical contributions to radio broadcasting industry that spans over 70 years. The documentary will help you to understand their journey; the value and significance they had and continue to have on many of the stars of radio today, whose recognition and notoriety rests on the heels of the legends of yesteryear.

This funding campaign is important to me because I want to impress upon millions of people the true significance of the story of the voices behind the mic, and how we can no longer take them at ‘face value’; they are the trusted voices that emanated from the radio; they were like family –they woke us up, spurred us into action or contemplation, told us what to wear, and how to get where we needed to be in a timely and enjoyable manner. We relied upon them to provide us with the news and information that we needed to begin - and end, our day, through good times and bad. It is important to understand and know who they are and what sacrifices, prejudices, and triumphs they encountered while attempting and succeeding to nurture and hone their craft for the benefit of themselves, those who followed in their footsteps, and the listening audience. You will be intrigued, inspired, and educated by the value and importance of telling their journey. This is a heartfelt and provocative documentary, destined to enlighten you in ways that you may have never known. This is a story that needs to be told.

Video teaser from the forthcoming documentary Behind The Mic and On The Set "The Legends of New York Radio. Legendary Rappers Kurtis Blow and Melly Mel discuss the impact that New York Radio legend Hank Spann of WWRL 1600 AM had on the evolution of the New York MC'S and early rap music in the late seventies

and then Disco music/culture

0PL4JDn.jpg

bS8W0Gy.jpg

xNMeO03.jpg

interview with Caz confirming everything I said....

1. There were no rappers in the modern sense in the Kool Herc scene inn the early days HipHop

2. Coke La Rock was the one talking on the mic not Herc and neither of them rapped in the modern sense. He did shout outs/freelance talking

3. Dj Hollywood was the only one rapping in the modern sense back then

@ 3:19

@ 4:43

"Dj Hollywood was thee blueprint for the syncopated style"

:sas2:

More on the Disco DJs vs Herc, break beats dynamic

as I pointed out so many times before, playing music outside alone with people talking on the mic doesn't equal HipHop. The key is the typeof music along with the vocal syncopation

Founding Fathers: Before The Bronx

Hasan: No. Honestly when me
and Ron talked about doing this, we were just really doing the Queens

theme. But after we talked to these guys, they told us about people that were

in the circle of DJs, and that’s how we ended up going to Brooklyn. And then we

ended up going to the Bronx because you know we got Pete DJ Jones, he’s from

the Bronx.

The

story is not just we’re saying that Hip-Hop didn’t start in the Bronx, we’re

just saying it pre-dates the 1974 ‘cause Pete DJ Jones, this guys in his 60s

and he was playing music in the Bronx in the late ’60s.

Amen-Ra: This is where it gets

separated because you got cats like [DJ] Hollywood who we got as well. But the

problem with that is it’s kind of separated because they kind of start with Kool Herc and they leave out the

cats before them because they try to say,

“These cats were Disco DJs, so we’re gonna start

with Kool Herc,” you

know what I mean? So what that does is kind of exed

those guys out. It kind of ex’s out Hollywood’s legacy as well.

If

you look back, the Disco didn’t even exist, it was just all about playing what

was hot. A lot of these cats were digging in the crates,

they were finding the jewels. That became a major

problem because none of that stuff existed. I mean the word “Hip-Hop”

didn’t even exist at that time. It was just that whatever they thought was hot,

when they heard the break part of a record, that’s just what was going on.

Everybody had two turntables and a mixer, they was doing they thing.

AllHipHop.com: No pun intended, but

would you say that is when the break happens? Because from what I’ve read and

speaking to people names like DJ Jones and Hollywood get mentioned as “precursors”

but that it was Herc, Bambaataa

and Flash that were heavy into the breakbeats.

Amen-Ra: Well they got it from them!

Hasan: Let me answer this one. Like Ron said

we’re talking before the Disco era. There was no word for Disco, that word

wasn’t even invented yet. And these guys started playing music even before the

mixer was invented. So they had to learn to go record to record, and you’re

talking about playing with 45s. So they had to extend the records. So they were

playing the intros, the 4-bars or whatever, the little break part—they

was doing that.

All

the records that Herc, Flash and all these guys were

using, those records weren’t “Hip-Hop” records. You’re talking about from Jazz,

to Rock, or to whatever. And then people put a title on it. “Mardi Gras” [Bob

James “Take Me to the Mardi Gras”] is probably one of the biggest break beats, that’s a Jazz record. So who determined that was a Hip-Hop

record? That title came later, that title came in the ’80s.

Amen-Ra: And even after the Disco era

came in, I mean I don’t know why these guys are ashamed of the Disco era, but

Hip-Hop had such an impact before it was even Hip-Hop. Disco had such an impact

on that scene that 90 percent of those break beats, were Disco records. You

know what I’m saying. I mean I can go down a list. I mean there’s “Frisco

Disco”, there’s “I Can’t Stop,” the “Freedom” record

which Flash and em’ put out, then you had “Good

Times” [Chic] which was “Rapper’s Delight”, you had “8th

Wonder.” I mean all those records, that was the

time.

Flash’s

right hand man was Disco (Beat), they partied at the

Disco Fever you know. Kurtis Blow says “Rapping

to the Disco beat!” on “Super Rappin’,” which was part of the “Good Times” Disco

record.

Hasan: You had the Crash Crew in Harlem,

Disco Dave…

Amen-Ra: Disco Dave and Disco Mike.

Everything was Disco this, Disco that. They tried to separate it like it didn’t

exist. And you can’t do that because that was a sign of that

times.

Hasan: Just like back in the day, before it

was named Hip-Hop, it started from something, it morphed into something else,

but it had its seed somewhere. You know someone didn’t come out of no where and

just start saying “Oh I’m gonna start cuttin’ and scratchin’.”

AllHipHop.com: No doubt, everything is

in different stages.

Amen-Ra: The thing is, like Herc, Flowers…they may have not been cuttin’

and stratchin’ but the whole idea of playing in the

parks with the systems, and if you prefer to say mixin’

back-in-forth- or switchin’ back-in-forth—it

existed. Cats would say, “Well it wasn’t Hip-Hop because they weren’t cuttin’ and scratchin’ and they

weren’t spinning on their backs. So therefore it wasn’t Hip-Hop.” But you can’t

say that.

Hasan: Yeah because it wasn’t even called

Hip-Hop back then. You know we’re just jammin’,

listening in the parks. That’s all it was. Kool Herc, I was told his history is that he was the first one,

he didn’t cut, he didn’t scratch, he didn’t do none of

that; he just played records. So is that Hip-Hop just because you’re playing

records in the park? If people want to take that stance- even if they want to

include that and say, “Ok that was Disco”, you can’t include it. The

whole idea if taking your equipment to the park and playing music, that’s where

the whole thing came from—playing music in the parks. When you grew up,

everybody wanted to have two turntables and a mixer. That was the culture back

in the ’70s.
Founding Fathers: Before The Bronx

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@IllmaticDelta Don't waste your time because he flat out lied about kool herc on the combat jack show. He is trying to intertwine kool herc LISTENING to west indian music, to that is what influenced his dj style. Yet, he has said multiple times he couldn't play reggae. Notice how he also left out when kool herc stated Jamaican sound systems wasn't his influence, it was American sound systems. I wonder why :comeon:

He then equated people bringing speakers outside, to jamaicans bringing that to the states, and created hip hop!:ohhh: Like there were no outdoor parties before Jamaicans came to the states. These nikkas are really crazy out here. He doesn't even know why they was outside, but he will tell you all this other shyt about where hip hop came from? Please, mr. bossman!

This guy is reaching, and he knows it. I'm not wasting my time replying to someone who can't be honest. He is going to have you replying, and he's going to keep playing dumb.

AND HE STILL HASN'T PROVIDED PROOF OF WEST INDIAN MUSIC INFLUENCING THE FOUNDING FATHERS OF HIP HOP. NOT ONE PERSON!

LISTENING DOESN'T EQUATE TO INFLUENCE. ESPECIALLY WHEN IT COMES TO A DJ STYLE. I KNOW BECAUSE I WAS A DJ!

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
@IllmaticDelta Don't waste your time because he flat out lied about kool herc on the combat jack show. He is trying to intertwine kool herc LISTENING to west indian music, to that is what influenced his dj style. Yet, he has said multiple times he couldn't play reggae.

yeah, I remember the combat interview

Notice how he also left out when kool herc stated Jamaican sound systems wasn't his influence, it

was American sound systems. I wonder why :comeon:

:lolbron:

He then equated people brining speakers outside, to jamaicans bringing that to the states, and created hip hop!:ohhh: Like there were no outdoor parties before Jamaicans came to the states. These nikkas are really crazy out here. He doesn't even know why they was outside, but he will tell you all this other shyt about where hip hop came from? Please, mr. bossman!

:russ:

AND HE STILL HASN'T PROVIDED PROOF OF WEST INDIAN MUSIC INFLUENCING THE FOUNDING FATHERS OF HIP HOP. NOT ONE PERSON!

:lolbron:

A Salute To James Brown – The Godfather of Hip-Hop

So let us take a minute to recognize and realize just why James Brown is the alpha and omega of this hip-hop shyt….

Various hack music historians have drawn connections of their own to the origins of hip-hop music, but this is clearly a case where academia can get stuck to far up it’s own ass. Steven Hagar got the answer straight from the horse’s mouth in his ground-breaking 1984 book, Hip Hop: The Illustrated History of Break Dancing, Rap Music, and Graffiti:

Many critics have drawn parallels between the development of rap and reggae, a connection that is denied by Kool Herc.Jamaican toasting?” said Herc. “Naw, naw. No connection there. I couldn’t play reggae in the Bronx. People wouldn’t accept it. The inspiration for rap is James Brown and the album Hustler’s Convention.”

Not only was JB the inspiration for the music, but his legendary moves also played a large part in the development of breakdancing:

“There was no such thing as b-boys when we arrived, but Herc gave us that tag. Just like he named his sound system the Herculords and he called me and my brother the ****** Twins. He called his dancers the b-boys.” Despite their age, Keith and Kevin soon established themselves as the premier performers at Herc’s parties. “When we danced, we always had a crowd around us,” said Keith. “We wore Pro-Keds, double-knit pants, windbreakers, and hats we called ‘crushers.’ One of us would always have the hat on backwards and we both had straws in our mouth.” During the week, the twins spent hours working on new routines, inventing steps that would amaze the crowd. “James Brown had a lot to do with it,” explained Kevin, “because he used to do splits and slide across the floor.”

But just what exactly is it about Mr. Brown’s music that is so essential to rap? Lifelong fan Pete Rock, who’s nickname and short-lived Soul Brother record imprint were both modeled after JB, also agrees that without James Brown, hip-hop music as we know it would not exist:

“He’s been an influence to everyone. He’s the reason for hip-hop music – period! That’s it! He was it! He created ‘Boom! Bap!’ He created that! He made that. James Brown is definitely the creator of hip-hop because he’s the creator of “the one” and the snare hit, and the one and the two. “On the one” – that was important to him, and he wanted people to know how that’s done and what he was listening to in his head. I have the DVD where he breaks it down how he figured out how to make the drum beat! He figured it out. It’s ill, man. I love watching that DVD. It’s called Soul Survivor.

Pete even goes as far as to imply that the Godfather of Soul may have passed on some of his genius to him in person:

“I met James Brown when I was seven years old. My mom took me to a concert in Mt. Vernon, New York. He came and performed and me and my younger brother met him. My younger brother was six and I was seven and we met James Brown. It was crazy! When we met him I think he passed something on to me. I wasn’t the same after I met him. I went to his funeral – just standing there, lookin’ at him for a good hour. I was standing right next to his casket.”

Not only did James Brown inspire Kool Herc to create hip-hop, invent the “Boom! Bap!” drum rhythm and inspire break dancing, he’s also provided a wealth of breaks and samples that continue to drive great rap to this day. And yet where is due? No James Brown? No Prince or Michael Jackson (and definitely no Justin Timberlake or Pharrell). And, even more importantly, no “Rebel Without A Pause.”

unkut.com – A Tribute To Ignorance (Remix)

Kanika

Rookie
Daps
You should know that hip hop break beats has its roots in Jazz music. Break beats were used in the 1920s by Jazz and Swing bands

Kanika

Rookie
Daps
Bobby Robinson and his wife Sylvia Robinson are the founders of Sugarhill label that first put hip hop music on records.

Kanika

Rookie
Daps
Grandmaster Flash, Kool DJ Herc, Afrika Bambaataa are Caribbean but the music that they constantly played at parties and parks was Black American music.

Kanika

Rookie
Daps
Sampling is the foundation of hip hop music. Hip Hop artists sampling Jazz, Soul, Disco, and Funk in their music.

Kanika

Rookie
Daps
Just forget it, because I am going to repeat myself for the 500th time. After this no more, please.
The first video was the from the 70's. If they were rapping in the 70's, where are the people who say they were influenced by them in early hip hop, not the mid 1980's hip hop? Never heard Dj Hollywood say this. Never heard Lovebug starksi say this. Even if I got to the rappers who came after them like cold crush bros., or grandmaster flash & furious five, none of them said they were influenced by the guys yall keep pushing. What yall are doing is trying to make connections from the similarities, but that isn't how things happened. We know this because the people who were around are still alive to tell you, so why do yall keep ignoring them, only to tell the story with what feels good to you? I would be mad as hell if people try to tell my story differently from me, because they don't like the way my narrative sounds:stopitslime:

The second video was from 1964, which was when JAMES BROWN was the man, and it was a ska record, which means i'm sure his style was influenced by a mixture of that 50's style. Somewhere i will probably find someone "toasting" in some american 1950's record. It's like yall keep forgetting how big, and influential James Brown, and other black american musicians were to black music all over the world.

As far as beatboxing, that is another reach. I have yet to hear beatboxers from back in the day say a record from 1965 influenced them to beatbox. Again, just because you found something that was done in the past, it doesn't mean it was the cause of future renditions of it. I don't see why yall cant get this important fact.

As far as Kool herc, that sounds nice, but he was just on Combat Jack in 2014, and he still never made that statement you made. And again, he didn't do any toasting. Did you read this thread? This was explained already!

Now, please just forget it. Unless some actual proof of influence can be shown from the people who were actually there
@IllmaticDelta Don't waste your time because he flat out lied about kool herc on the combat jack show. He is trying to intertwine kool herc LISTENING to west indian music, to that is what influenced his dj style. Yet, he has said multiple times he couldn't play reggae. Notice how he also left out when kool herc stated Jamaican sound systems wasn't his influence, it was American sound systems. I wonder why :comeon:

He then equated people bringing speakers outside, to jamaicans bringing that to the states, and created hip hop!:ohhh: Like there were no outdoor parties before Jamaicans came to the states. These nikkas are really crazy out here. He doesn't even know why they was outside, but he will tell you all this other shyt about where hip hop came from? Please, mr. bossman!

This guy is reaching, and he knows it. I'm not wasting my time replying to someone who can't be honest. He is going to have you replying, and he's going to keep playing dumb.

LISTENING DOESN'T EQUATE TO INFLUENCE. ESPECIALLY WHEN IT COMES TO A DJ STYLE. I KNOW BECAUSE I WAS A DJ!
Jamaicans on Twitter always say "Jamaican Toasting and Jamaican Soundsystems" are the roots of hip hop.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Jamaicans on Twitter always say "Jamaican Toasting and Jamaican Soundsystems" are the roots of hip hop.

They do because they don't any better. Misinformation has been getting passed around in these HipHop books since the 80's but the funny thing is when you read/hear interviews from the OG's they actually tell the truth. You know how long it's been going that the first acknowledged MC of HipHop as far as the Herc/his crowd was concerned (Coka La Rock) was Jamaican by outsiders?

lVNxPUL.jpg

Im positive Herc knew that dude was a Southern rooted USA American but the books kept saying he was Jamaican and that he brought Jamaican Toasting to the states and created rap:stopitslime::martin:

from 2006

Coke La Rock's real name is G.S., I just spent over an hour interviewing him. I am Steve Hager, and I was the first journalist to write about hip hop, and, apparently, I just became the first person to do an in-depth interview with Coke La Rock. First, the info about being from Jamaica is total garbage, his parents are from North Carolina. I tried to clean this up because I am inducting Coke into the Counterculture Hall of Fame this November in Amsterdam, an event I created. I will post a youtube video tomorrow on my site, www.youtube.com/templedragon420, and you can hear Coke in his own voice dispell all the rumour and disinfo that has been spread about him. He never recorded a song, but he did lay down the foundation for hip hop lyrics, just like Kool Herc laid down the foundation for hip hop music. Please don't mess with my changes again. I am a professional journalist and have only posted these corrections because I care about the true history of hip hop. I know the real pioneers, and I reject all the lyineers who are spreading false stories about the early days of the culture. I tried three times to post the link to the page that verifies the changes I have made, but a bot keeps eliminating it:

Talk:Coke La Rock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

this basically should have ended all talk about rapping coming from Jamaica:beli:

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
"I tried three times to post the link to the page that verifies the changes I have made, but a bot keeps eliminating it:"

Reading this from the article @IllmaticDelta posted, worries me. It sounds like we have to worry about other blacks trying to rewrite our history, along with what some racists whites are doing now with these new history books, and making slavery seem like it was nice. They are just totally ignoring Jim Crow era.

Damn, if we conquer this shyt, Black Americans will forever be the shyt:blessed:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
"I tried three times to post the link to the page that verifies the changes I have made, but a bot keeps eliminating it:"

Reading this from the article @IllmaticDelta posted, worries me. It sounds like we have to worry about other blacks trying to rewrite our history, along with what some racists whites are doing now with these new history books, and making slavery seem like it was nice. They are just totally ignoring Jim Crow era.

Damn, if we conquer this shyt, Black Americans will forever be the shyt:blessed:

:lolbron::myman:

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
Here we go again huh? LOL. He didn't, I showed you on the other thread he didn't but you wanted to run off, make a new thread to play these games. I don't know how you can write out decades of artists and claim one person invented a music form with roots going back to jazz, blues, scat, r&b/soul, written word, that coalesced into what it is today? But I guess all those people were Jamaicans to right? :russ: We going to have to do this again? :comeon:

Here comes the judge 1968 (funny...sounds just like early 80s hiphop)
Who got the number? 1969

Markham was born in Durham, NC April 18, 1904; died December 13, 1981 Bronx, NY (coincidence?)

However, Kool Herc himself denies this link (in the 1984 book Hip Hop), saying, "Jamaican toasting? Naw, naw. No connection there. I couldn't play reggae in the Bronx. People wouldn't accept it. The inspiration for rap is
James Brown and the album Hustler's Convention.".
  1. "Hip Hop: The Illustrated History of Break Dancing, Rap Music, and Graffiti", by Steven Hager, 1984, St Martin's Press, p.45

Hustler's Convention 1973

James Brown 1959

Louis Armstrong from movie "New Orleans" 1947- Since you wanted to take it back to see "rapping" (rhyming).

So let's see. Herc came to the Bronx in 1967. A year before Markhams's "Here comes the Judge" in 1968 is on wax. Then the "creator" of rap claims it's James Brown was his inspiration for RAP. Who was doing that easily in 1959. Hustler's Convention came out in 1973. Louis Armstrong was doing it back in 1947! Other groups as well.

Herc also suggests he was too young while in Jamaica to get into sound system parties: "I couldn’t get in. Couldn’t get in. I was ten, eleven years old,"[42] and that while in Jamaica, he was listening to James Brown: "I was listening to American music in Jamaica and my favorite artist was James Brown. That's who inspired me. A lot of the records I played were by James Brown."[40]

Creator-a person or thing that creates.
Creates-to evolve from one's own thought or imagination ,as a work of art or an invention.
Catalyst-a person or thing that precipitates an event or change.

So he DIDN'T CREATE RAP which I've shown you twice now! Nor did it come from his imagination. People were RAPPING before he was even born 1955. How did he create something before he was even created? So people claim he invented something, then he states was inspired by JAMES BROWN and Hustler's Convention? He didn't create rap. Period.

Thank you for saying what needed to be said :mjcry:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
So let's see. Herc came to the Bronx in 1967. A year before Markhams's "Here comes the Judge" in 1968 is on wax. Then the "creator" of rap claims it's James Brown was his inspiration for RAP. Who was doing that easily in 1959. Hustler's Convention came out in 1973. Louis Armstrong was doing it back in 1947! Other groups as well.

1920's:takedat: