Is it time for Black America to shun all depictions of black-on-black violence in Media?

RamsayBolton

Superstar
Daps
- No more drill music
- No more gangster shows unless tackling corrupt systems
- No more photos at opps' funerals

- More ignoring or calling our posts on social media that propagate images of us at our worst
- More contacting execs to question why they're so comfortable depicting black people vs black people constantly
- More pointing out the disparity in the portrayal of white violence (The Red State Murder Problem – Third Way)

Black on black violence is beamed into TVs, Radios, and Social media not just around America, but around the globe. We talk about things like crime bills being band-aids fixes, and at the heart of this the violence is an after-effect of white supremacy, but clearly our community wants ACTION, NOW.

So instead of talking about what the white people in power should do, why don't we shift to what the average black person can do?

Daps
goodluck-morgan-freeman.gif

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
Mob movies don't seem to have a detrimental effect on Italian or white populations.

Horror movies don't seem to make people lose it and start swinging axes.

But for some reason our folks take Rap seriously enough to try to emulate the images and ideals of drug and gang culture.. kinda strange, but I'd say it's true.

The fix is within. The white man isn't going to give us anything we haven't already got so just forget about them "helping" us.

How many non gang members are there vs the number of gang members in a given city? I'd say like 10 to 1. So theoretically the 10 people don't have to allow the 1 to destroy everything around them.

CW_1991

Banned
Daps
Black America doesn't care about that. And oftentimes a lot of the things in the media that you see that are negative is usually art imitating life. That's the real problem.

It's just a manifestation of our current state of being

AllHolosEve

Her Name Is Mistress Death
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SouthSide, MPLS
Mob movies don't seem to have a detrimental effect on Italian or white populations.
Horror movies don't seem to make people lose it and start swinging axes.

But for some reason our folks take Rap seriously enough to try to emulate the images and ideals of drug and gang culture.. kinda strange, but I'd say it's true.
-The Italian mob isn't right outside the door recruiting & horror movies are accepted as fantasy. Gangs & drugs are in every neighborhood actively recruiting & the women, money, etc that comes with it is clearly visible. You don't need to listen to rap to see it & emulate it, that just helps the transition.
....oftentimes a lot of the things in the media that you see that are negative is usually art imitating life. That's the real problem.

It's just a manifestation of our current state of being
-This. It went from seeing the pimps/players to seeing the dope boy to seeing the goons to.....

Daps
The fix is within. The white man isn't going to give us anything we haven't already got so just forget about them "helping" us.

Peculiarly, this defeatist attitude of yours is conspicuously absent in threads pertaining to black support for the Democratic party.

:jbhmm:

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
We should have been done that and people are deluding themselves if they think music doesn't have a huge effect on how these kids act. I thought that Drake era was terrible musically, but when Drake/Kanye type of dudes were the prevalent form of music, violence plummeted.

Correlation doesn't mean causation. Violent crime had already been decreasing long before Kanye and Drake peaked. I don't disagree with you that the music affects these kids, cuz it definitely does. The question to me is how much of an effect does it have which might be overstated. Early crack era violence preceded so called gangster rap. Dudes were killing each other with No Parking on the Dance Floor in the tape deck. Nobody blamed Midnight Star. I don't think that red thing the lead singer of Cameo used to wear had anything to do with sexual assault in the 80s either.

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
Peculiarly, this defeatist attitude of yours is conspicuously absent in threads pertaining to black support for the Democratic party.

:jbhmm:

So we are defeated because white people won't give us anything that will save us?

I think you misunderstand me.

The FIX is WITHIN

FIX : solution to our problems

WITHIN: we will have to do it for ourselves by ourselves.

I don't consider that defeat at all.

Having to fix yourself is the case for every individual. It seems only natural for our group to have to fix ourselves