Is it me or there aren’t any great games anymore ??

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Well first off, there was more than just those last year. 2ndly, why would you not count indies now? Ya'll count all those mid-tier companies from ya'lls nostalgias as a part of ya'lls golden years of gaming, whereas indies are exactly the ones that have taken their place and doing what they used to do. And with modern tech advancements, a lot of what those games were are done even better now. Certainly with better quality of life improvements of them so that they're not difficult for the sake of faulty shenanigans that plagued golden age games.

Exactly there are indies that are better than AAA games of yester year

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
look at it like books

just because a book isn't a new york times bestseller or on oprah's bookclub list, it doesn't mean its not worth your time

some of the best games i ever played year don't even get mentioned. crusader kings 3? fukkin godlike.

Banner Saga series is still one of my favorite game from the last 5 years, literally no one ever talks about it.

Daps
I agree.

I am big on fighting, fps, racing and rpg. Fighting games fell off a cliff entirely. Every fps is a multiplayer arena shooter that wants all of your time. Racing game are just boring now. RPGs aren't even RPGs. Why is it called role playing if you force me to play a certain person?

I fukk with survival horror but stupid devs never let you defend yourself, you always gotta hide. Why resident evil the only survival horror that let you defend yourself?

Your not old op you just know better. Alot of modern devs don't know how to make a fun game.

These production values are insane one flop and its over. Devs play it safe now, so no more imagination and longer dev times.

Indies still suck but it's up to them to fix this.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I had to step back and ask myself why I was feeling like this a few years ago.

There are a couple factors,

1) personal resources- all the greatest games of my past have been when I had to work to get a game, and only had that game. Didn't matter if it was rented, or bought.

There is something about buying a game and being completely dedicated to it because that's all you have access to, which brings me to

2) Access- I noticed I started feeling this way when I started getting more access to games, once I knew I could play or have 3-4 games just waiting it was much easier to stop a game I wasn't feeling at a certain point and just pick up something else and never look back, sometimes it would happen over and over. Prime example, persona 5... Good game but I'm at a point we're I'm just like ehhh do I want to play something that I'm not really enjoying at that point in a game when I have tons of new games and backlog? No telling how many great games I wouldn't have finished if I did that back in the day.

3) Hype- probably the most deadly killer of enjoyment, there are a ton of variants of this.

Pre game hype, multiplayer fun hype, system exclusive hype, social media hype.... Only for you to get a game and it not move you the same way it apparently moves social media.

4) previews and leaks- nowadays you can know almost everything about a game before it drops, most of the time there are constant previews which either lewd to more hype or disappointment usually. Kinda steals your excitement when you get constant videos previews and breakdowns.

5) Difficulty and structure of games- games are easy, and focus way less on gameplay and more on trying to give a experience. Which is cool, but most people here probably got into gaming because the game they played was fun or looked cool. Games hold your hand too much now. So much so it's now pretty much know as genre based on games being that much easier now.

Also dlc, and attempting to make everything 1st part the company franchise
People might not think these things have an effect on them but trust me they do

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I had to step back and ask myself why I was feeling like this a few years ago.

There are a couple factors,

1) personal resources- all the greatest games of my past have been when I had to work to get a game, and only had that game. Didn't matter if it was rented, or bought.

There is something about buying a game and being completely dedicated to it because that's all you have access to, which brings me to

2) Access- I noticed I started feeling this way when I started getting more access to games, once I knew I could play or have 3-4 games just waiting it was much easier to stop a game I wasn't feeling at a certain point and just pick up something else and never look back, sometimes it would happen over and over. Prime example, persona 5... Good game but I'm at a point we're I'm just like ehhh do I want to play something that I'm not really enjoying at that point in a game when I have tons of new games and backlog? No telling how many great games I wouldn't have finished if I did that back in the day.

3) Hype- probably the most deadly killer of enjoyment, there are a ton of variants of this.

Pre game hype, multiplayer fun hype, system exclusive hype, social media hype.... Only for you to get a game and it not move you the same way it apparently moves social media.

4) previews and leaks- nowadays you can know almost everything about a game before it drops, most of the time there are constant previews which either lewd to more hype or disappointment usually. Kinda steals your excitement when you get constant videos previews and breakdowns.

5) Difficulty and structure of games- games are easy, and focus way less on gameplay and more on trying to give a experience. Which is cool, but most people here probably got into gaming because the game they played was fun or looked cool. Games hold your hand too much now. So much so it's now pretty much know as genre based on games being that much easier now.

Also dlc, and attempting to make everything 1st part the company franchise
People might not think these things have an effect on them but trust me they do

So then are you saying that you no longer feel this way now then? I've honestly never felt this way about gaming, even during coming of age period when I slowed down considerably with gaming. That was mostly cuz of the pursuit of women and maintaining gfs.

1 & 2. Tho I think there's some truth to this, as I was thinking the same thing to a degree that having less resources/access to games in our youth made it easier to really cherish and get the full course of a game and upped its personal replayability due to possibly not getting other games for a while. I know growing up, I'd only get like 2-4 games a year, at most. I get nearly 2-3 times that a month sometimes and can do so even more, if I chose to. But having said that, now that I can get as many games as I want, that only opens the door to more games. While yes, it makes me replay games (and sometimes even finish games) less often, it makes me never bored of gaming on a whole since I have so many to jump and choose from, an experience that I'd only rarely have when visiting parents' friends that had older children that had a lot more games than I had. I'm no longer at limits of my mom's willingness to getting me games and will just buy what I want, when I want. My daughter is lucky to have a gamer dad, as she eats most of the time off mine without having to even ask.

3. Hype never really affected me much tbh. That goes into most things even outside of gaming. I've just never been one to follow a crowd or have much FOMO, as I know for certain my tastes, always have and even moreso the older I get. That said, I've also known how/when to go outside my box for new interests as well.

4. Previews, while I get your gist there, part of that lends back to me knowing what I like and the fact that there's precious little secrets to games before buying makes it that much easier on the buyer to not sell themselves short by not doing their due diligence on a gaming purchase. It's very, very rare due to access to extensive previews/reviews and resources of that matter at wide that I'm ever unpleasantly surprised by a game (or once again, most consumer products really). I rarely feel duped, cuz I knew from jump what I was getting into, so my expectations are finely tempered. You don't even have to just abide by "trusted" gaming sources, as you can find YT-ers that have similar tastes to yours that will give you a more thorough and better review of your game than some bigger "gaming journalist" outlets might do. Sure, that may take away some of the surprise factor, but will definitely have you well informed before you buy.

5. Difficulty and the lack there of, I think is mostly just for "AAA" gaming...for the most part. Even then, there's often levels to it, tho I do sometime feel annoyed that long games don't allow for choosing higher difficulties from the onset, cuz it's doubtful I'll replay thru a long game more than 1nce as it is. That said, there definitely are some hand-holding ass games out there for sure. And I do wish that higher difficulties would be more dynamic in nature rather than just making enemies damage tank sponges and your character a glass cannon. I rather the A.I. just be smarter in tactics, which sometimes exist, but is also a lot more rare.

And DLC, I feel, while having some bad practices, is actually still a good thing, when done accordingly. Just gives you more to enjoy of a game, if you choose, as ultimately, it's all optional.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Before gaming was a niche market, now its commercialized appealing to wide range of people, I mean when you look at the most popular and profitable games, they are all trash, this the fate of anything that becomes too popular, game has become to popular so it has been watered down to appeal to masses

there's more money involved, so you know you have business people at these companies who don't know anything about gaming making decisions and hindering the creative process when before they pretty much left it up to the director, which is why there aren't any new Hideo Kojima or Shigeru Miyamato type figures in gaming

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
AAA game costs and dev times are a problem. also, i hear japan is moving toward mobile games. the west is moving toward "games as a service". then you have covid slowing things down.

still, we had a hell of a run with the last gen. there are fewer great games, but there still are enough to make it worthwhile. the challenge is to see what happens with this new gen. hopefully technology helps indie game makers step up to a higher level of quality so they can take up the slack of the big devs.