Is Ghanaian food the best food in Africa?

Payroll

Insomnia Addict
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
GMB
shisa-nyama2.jpg

sa-foods.jpg

6f259bb09d49497d8f759b9ff469921e.jpg
south-african-food-biltong-1510736608-1000X561.jpg
vetkoek.jpg

bunny-chow.jpg

Pap-4.jpg

mashonzha_dish_south_africa_traditional_food_583bbd9d21c61099565a97e0.jpeg

If you know, you know :wowjb:

LOL at OP thinking Ghanians have the GOAT Afircan food :pachaha:. I have a Ghanian collegue, whenever he warms up his Ghanian launch, everyone gotta keep the windows open for atleast an hour after :mjlol:

:salute:

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Now I can’t help you if you don’t like collard greens or our yams tho
Truth is what Americans call yams is not what the rest of the world calls yams. What Americans call yams is a sweet potato.
On top of that they often add even more sugar to it when they make candy yams:laff:
What the rest of the world call "yam" arent sweet at all. There's white yam and yellow yam and neither are sweet. If anything yellow yam has a slight, barely detectable bitter after taste.

What americans call yams AKA sweet potato to the rest of us

Yellow yam (world)

White yam (world)

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
That's because you're grew up here and/or got used to the foods here to the point that the threshold for sweets in your taste buds is much higher.

Even simple things here in the U.S. like peanut butter and regular bread have a certain amount of sugar in them. I love peanut butter and usually get mines when my aunt is coming from Haiti. Evey now i'll taste the ones here in comparison and they taste so sweet to me. That's because my tastebuds havent adapted to the sweetened ones here even tho it's supposed to be the plain ones.

The food industry here has ruined americans to the point where you;re used to it while others that arent get a sugar high from your plain bread.

That’s a fact my mom brought peanut butter from Haiti to the house one day and I hated it because it wasn’t sweet lmao.

It was also much more liquified than the peanut butter in America which for the most part is solid.

I’ve been to Guadeloupe to and I notice over there the only thing sweet people have for breakfast are the drinkable yogurts!

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
That’s a fact my mom brought peanut butter from Haiti to the house one day and I hated it because it wasn’t sweet lmao.

It was also much more liquified than the peanut butter in America which for the most part is solid.

I’ve been to Guadeloupe to and I notice over there the only thing sweet people have for breakfast are the drinkable yogurts!
Typical caribbean breakfast = plantains + fish (herring or cod)

THe american food industry is what mostly introduced all them sweet cereals to breakfast. Growing up i dont remember eating cereal often until i moved here

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
Truth is what Americans call yams is not what the rest of the world calls yams. What Americans call yams is a sweet potato.
On top of that they often add even more sugar to it when they make candy yams:laff:
What the rest of the world call "yam" arent sweet at all. There's white yam and yellow yam and neither are sweet. If anythingyellow yam has a slight, barely detectable bitter after taste.

What americans call yams AKA sweet potato to the rest of us
5553.png

Candied+Yams+01b.jpg

Yellow yam (world)
4136nNeo8cL._SX355_.jpg

6a017c3167883f970b01b7c878da78970b-pi

White yam (world)
white%20yam.JPG

blogger-image-1550903371.jpg
Oh I know, that’s why I said “our”.

Our ancestors basically got here, seen sweet potatoes and said fukk it, look like a yam, we gonna call it a yam.
:yeshrug::russ:

Far as I know they don’t grow here, same with plantains, we’re the only part of the diaspora in a sub-tropical climate so certain fruits/vegetables didn’t carry over.

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Yea my dad makes Yams all the time and would be confused as hell if I brought home “candied Yams”.

My dad eats sweet potatoes but I don’t think he’s trusting a sweet yam lol
I tried the american "candy yams" thing. It's okay. Not as bad as i thought it would be but still not a fan. I'll eat it if it's on my plate and it aint too sweet but you wont find me ordering it or anything

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Oh I know, that’s why I said “our”.

Our ancestors basically got here, seen sweet potatoes and said fukk it, look like a yam, we gonna call it a yam.
:yeshrug::russ:

Far as I know they don’t grow here, same with plantains, we’re the only part of the diaspora in a sub-tropical climate so certain fruits/vegetables didn’t carry over.
I mean... many cultures misname things :russ:

Haitians for example misnamed kalalou. You go to any other island and ask for kalaloo and you get this
Ask a Haitian for kalalou and you're gettng this which is Okra

Last edited:

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps

Haitians for example misnamed kalalou. You go to any other island and ask for kalaloo and you get this

1200px-Callaloo.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

That kalalou you Haitians got is definitely imported from West African slaves. We have a lot of soup dishes similar to it.

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps

I’ve only had callaloo once with some salt fish, from a Jamaican spot, it kind of reminded me of mustard and turnip greens.
:ehh:

Salt fish has me like:bryan::hubie: tho.

I’m on a mission to try some Haitian food. My wife had some at her cousins wedding a few years back in NYC(I couldn’t take off work) and said it was the truth.