Is Gamepass hurting multiplatform game sales? *RE8 bombs on Xbox*

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
UK weekly physical sales: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...ts-second-week-than-its-first-uk-boxed-charts
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart sales up 2% compared to the previous week, making it the best selling game of the week by a comfortable margin
  • Resident Evil: Village re-enters the top 5 after a 59% sales increase thanks an increase in sales of the PS5 version
  • 77% of sales of Metro Exodus Complete Edition were on PS5
  • The PS5 version of Final Fantasy VII Remake and Guilty Gear Strive drop out of the top 40
  • Spider-Man: Miles Morales retains in top 10 spot, dropping from 5th to 7th

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
UK weekly physical sales: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...ts-second-week-than-its-first-uk-boxed-charts
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart sales up 2% compared to the previous week, making it the best selling game of the week by a comfortable margin
  • Resident Evil: Village re-enters the top 5 after a 59% sales increase thanks an increase in sales of the PS5 version
  • 77% of sales of Metro Exodus Complete Edition were on PS5
  • The PS5 version of Final Fantasy VII Remake and Guilty Gear Strive drop out of the top 40
  • Spider-Man: Miles Morales retains in top 10 spot, dropping from 5th to 7th
Again you're trying to look at a subscription service model through the lenses of someone that's thinking about selling games. Ultimately selling games will become a diminishing part of Microsoft's business as they look for how to acquire more customers and monetize them.

Do you think Netflix cares about home media sales or about acquiring more subscribers to their monthly service?
Yup. And it’s gonna equal to more people not actually owning shyt. shyt sucks man. I been streaming music since before it was popular to do. Back when I had a damn Zune. And I still understand the value of owning media. These streaming services pull songs, albums, change versions of the music n shyt all the time and u have ZERO say in it. That’s why I make it a point to purchase any music I really love. Streaming is just for the convenience factor.
You really don't own shyt now. They sell you partially complete games that rely on downloads they provide access to for them to be fully functional. This isn't music where you buy the CD and you own a complete work as it was made. If they flip a switch and the servers go dark you own some portion of a semi-functional but likely broken product that will never be complete. If you buy digital it's even worse because they just close down the servers and put the onus on you to maintain access to a digital copy.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Again you're trying to look at a subscription service model through the lenses of someone that's thinking about selling games. Ultimately selling games will become a diminishing part of Microsoft's business as they look for how to acquire more customers and monetize them.

Do you think Netflix cares about home media sales or about acquiring more subscribers to their monthly service?

You really don't own shyt now. They sell you partially complete games that rely on downloads they provide access to for them to be fully functional. This isn't music where you buy the CD and you own a complete work as it was made. If they flip a switch and the servers go dark you own some portion of a semi-functional but likely broken product that will never be complete. If you buy digital it's even worse because they just close down the servers and put the onus on you to maintain access to a digital copy.
This has been largely exaggerated for the most part. I can't think of many games where it's "broken" and/or relies on a day 1 patch to be playable. There are outliers but they're not the norm. I'd wager the majority of games except GAAS/MP games work fine from start to finish without downloads but like you said the patches can patch up things afterwards.

The "past games were complete" point though was an issue of the time. I can bet had those games released today we'd have patches, DLC and major fixes patched to games.

Either way worst case scenario I'd prefer something tangible rather than nothing at all.

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
This means nothing until they start giving us numbers

The president of Square is literally saying that sales and player count have exceeded their expectations, that putting it on Gamepass worked in their favor, and that the new IP is on track to become their next major franchise...

but it means nothing tho :skip:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
This has been largely exaggerated for the most part. I can't think of many games where it's "broken" and/or relies on a day 1 patch to be playable. There are outliers but they're not the norm. I'd wager the majority of games except GAAS/MP games work fine from start to finish without downloads but like you said the patches can patch up things afterwards.

The "past games were complete" point though was an issue of the time. I can bet had those games released today we'd have patches, DLC and major fixes patched to games.

Either way worst case scenario I'd prefer something tangible rather than nothing at all.
There's games missing whole game modes on the disc with several gig sized day one patches to place all the features you should have. This doesn't mention the ones with game breaking bugs. The reality is games are actively worked on for a while after release. This isn't Super Mario RPG where you buy the game and that's that. Even when that isn't the case there's games with unacceptable performance off the disc or whole performance modes missing from the disc.

When you buy a game all you really get is a license to play the software. They aren't required to distribute the whole completed software on the disc and most don't. When really was the last time you bought a game and didn't have to download a massive day one patch?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
The president of Square is literally saying that sales and player count have exceeded their expectations, that putting it on Gamepass worked in their favor, and that the new IP is on track to become their next major franchise...

but it means nothing tho :skip:

Yeah, I’m sure being thrown a bag of money helped

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:mjlol: Sony
iu