Is Dr. Dre at the root of all the destructive trends in rap? EDIT: Just the music, not the ills of the Black community

FeverPitch2

Superstar
Daps
who were they banging with?
NWA was mostly a gimmick but it did mirror real life.
Eazy was really about that life and had no interest in being a rapper. He and Ren were Kelly Park Crips.
Dre and Yella were DJs and musicians
Cube was a high school kid with a hot pen.
They're basically the gangsta rap version of The Monkees. (Two were actors, two were musicians)

This is Ice Cube with Dr. Dre on the boards before NWA

Back then, it wasn't acceptable to promote gangbanging
Cube went on to say "I don't bang. I rock a good rhyme" on Amerikkka's Most Wanted.
Most West Coast artists at the time had at least one anti-gangbanging song on their albums, even though they were in gangs.
By the time Snoop and the original Death Row crew came around, that had changed.

They even went as far to make this
They really only made this to cash in on the huge success of the East Coast joint Self Destruction

Last edited:

FeverPitch2

Superstar
Daps
I would say record execs but before even them it's consumers.

If consumers wanted Church friendly, PG rap, that's what execs would be chasing and what record labels would be putting out

You're trying to single out the one guy who left gangsta rap he helped create to make more positive music only to come back because that's what the consumer market dictated.
Dre was doing his thing before the major labels bought into gangsta rap.

Finesse

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Gotham
I put it more on Tupac. Breh went from fun party, semi-conscious rapper to glorifying the thug life. He had a higher profile than Dre and had to try and fit in with the LA Crips and Bloods gang culture. Then I think he started the east-west coast beef which was perplexing since he was born and raised in the east. And he had a Black Panther background so he should have been pushing unity.
Just my thoughts that can be corrected.

This

Death Row and Suge Knight is what brought the gang banging element to rap. shyt got so hot even Dr.Dre had to back up out the kitchen :huhldup:

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
What is She Thangs?

tumblr_ma7rsyFEgN1qeyteto1_500.jpg

jaden.jpg

double_1_xly3fz.jpg