Is Chrono Trigger the greatest JRPG ever?

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
when someone says chrono trigger is the goat you gotta treat it as a valid opinion :manny: game is essentially flawless

still replayable today

its not even 'hard' to adjust either. still amazing
Basically this, it's why imo it is the GOAT. I don't feel like you can say that about any other game.

The only other game I would put close is MGS, but that kinda ended on a "cliff hanger" not completely but enough to were you knew more games were coming.

Also I'd put mass effect up there but it took 2 games for what Chrono trigger nailed in 1.

Chrono trigger is a complete experience, with crazy replayability.

I still haven't really experienced anything in a game like the trial of Chrono early on. It was one of the most mind blowing experiences for me. I played that scene over and over to see the different results.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Basically this, it's why imo it is the GOAT. I don't feel like you can say that about any other game.

The only other game I would put close is MGS, but that kinda ended on a "cliff hanger" not completely but enough to were you knew more games were coming.

Also I'd put mass effect up there but it took 2 games for what Chrono trigger nailed in 1.

I still haven't really experienced anything in a game like the trial of Chrono early on. It was one of the most mind blowing experiences for me. I played that scene over and over to see the different results.
basically

i got plenty of favorites (xenogears, front mission 3, etc) - but chrono trigger nails everything :manny: synergies in combat is something that games can't do as well decades later. content for days. dope cast. quality storytelling. locations and themes on point. classic soundtrack

Draje

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I know what you mean. There are games that are more complex, have deeper stories, or something but they just don’t have that master touch of CT that makes it infinitely repeatable and never feel like a drag.

Even some of my favorite RPG experiences have lulls or weird mechanics to get through.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
The 90s SNES/PS1 era has to be the golden age of JRPG’s.

Chrono Trigger
Earthbound
Mario RPG
Secret of Mana
Lufia 2
Illusion of Gaia
Final Fantasy 6, 7, 9, and Tactics
Legend of Legaia (underrated)

even the Japan only games we never got were classic piff. Dragon Quest 3 and 5, Final Fantasy 5, etc. (shout out to the REAL Final Fantasy 4, since the localized version we got in America was watered down)

I’m still sleeping on Terranigma, Seiken Densetsu 3, and the Breath of Fire games.

forgot the often overlooked Wild Arms

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I wonder why haven't Square just decided to make a remake of this game. It would work fine.

Now this is the type of game id want arc system to work on.

Give me that Dragon ball fighters/ guilty Gear art work in a 2d/3d Chrono trigger looking game with ff7RE combat and whatever team did ff7RE music and I'm on board. (With the option for simple old school ATB)

The only problem is Chrono trigger is as close to perfect as a game gets. A remake of it would have be just straight up graphical improvements, combat and music and making it available to a current gen.

Ff7 a remake made since because the game ages really bad... But 2d graphics are basically timeless

I guess they could go the same route as FF7RE and have it different but similar. Probably would make even more since to do it that way story wise with Chrono triggers theme.

Idk, I almost say it's one game that you just tuck away and never touch.

Remake Chrono cross and clean that up, do another sequel but CT might be that game you put in the trophy case and leave on display