Is Chrono Trigger the greatest JRPG ever?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Fun fact for me is the only reason I wanted Chrono trigger initially was because Chrono looked like goku.

I finally was able to rent it from blockbuster one day and I must have played that game the entire 3 days plus late fee days none stop.

I actually think it was the opposite for me. I think I saw original dragonball earlier but dbz after and I didn’t make the connection until then so I thought super sayain goku/gonna/trunks looked like chrono

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
FF6 is it for me.

Crono Trigger is maybe 1A, but as I remember it, FF6 was just a touch better. I remember being amazed by them having the balls to pull the midgame twist off. shyt like that wasn't happening in games back then, and it all really solidified Kefka as a top tier video game villain for me.

Plus, you can suplex a fukking ghost train.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
FF6 is it for me.

Crono Trigger is maybe 1A, but as I remember it, FF6 was just a touch better. I remember being amazed by them having the balls to pull the midgame twist off. shyt like that wasn't happening in games back then, and it all really solidified Kefka as a top tier video game villain for me.

chrono might be th3 first game I played where the main character dies though

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
chrono might be th3 first game I played where the main character dies though

True, but FF6 came out earlier, and the villain just straight up wins in the middle of the game. The main character could suffer setbacks back then, but you'd never see a case where the villain just straight up achieved their goal.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
True, but FF6 came out earlier, and the villain just straight up wins in the middle of the game. The main character could suffer setbacks back then, but you'd never see a case where the villain just straight up achieved their goal.
I mean don’t get me wrong Kena the goat ff villain, especially after he slumped general Leo :wow:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
FF6 is it for me.

Chrono had that same mid game kinda plot twist I remember thinking I'm saving the world trying to stop this guy fr summoning lavos.... But

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
If its not the GOAT, its the closest one.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
The 90s SNES/PS1 era has to be the golden age of JRPG’s.

Chrono Trigger
Earthbound
Mario RPG
Secret of Mana
Lufia 2
Illusion of Gaia
Final Fantasy 6, 7, 9, and Tactics
Legend of Legaia (underrated)

even the Japan only games we never got were classic piff. Dragon Quest 3 and 5, Final Fantasy 5, etc. (shout out to the REAL Final Fantasy 4, since the localized version we got in America was watered down)

I’m still sleeping on Terranigma, Seiken Densetsu 3, and the Breath of Fire games.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
The GOAT JRPG is definitely debateable because there are alot of good ones, but Chrono Trigger definitely deserves it's spot on the list to debate about it for sure, definitely a GOAT-tier game.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
It’s one of the few games that actually pulls off time travel without making it super convulted.

also one of the first rpgs I can remember where your weapons changed on equip

mini games were fun also

giphy.gif