Is Chris Tucker the biggest underachiever in the history of acting?

Is Chris Tucker the biggest underachiever in Acting history?

• Yes

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • No but he's up there

Votes: 55 41.7%

• Total voters

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
How is Dave the biggest disappointment?!?!?!?:dahell:
Half Baked and only 3 seasons of The Chappelle Show:martin:

He had Comedy Central in the palm of his hands.. Could've done anything he wanted to do even after he walked away from The Chappelle Show:what:

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
Underachiever is the wrong word. Dude had potential to go on a run, but he seemed like he made his money and went low key. Taking a lot of bit roles here and there. I'm guessing he got paid well off of the Rush Hour movies and just wanted to lay back. Nothing wrong with that, but I wanted more from him.

Seeing him in Silver Linings Playbook, I think he could have made and Eddie Murphy-esque transition to drama if he wanted to.

But you go back and look at his catalog he put in A LOT of work. Man, I even loved him in The Fifth Element, that arrogant entitled kinda gay celebrity :mjlol:

When he walked past those little girls didn't even bother signing their autographs, just took a paint brush and smeared all of them in a row :dead:

taker597

Superstar
Daps
Tucker was in it to get paid. He got it after Rush Hour.

He had a plan, money goal, and achieved it. Chris wasn't built for those 3 months 12 hour shoots lifestyle of Hollywood.

Acting isn't some 9-5 gig and get to see your family everyday.

Last edited:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
i only say no because he's first and foremost a standup comedian. Some of them get popular enough to make a career in film and tv, but they always seem to treat that as a secondary lane. Like ball players who make more money off of shoe deals and gatorade endorsements then their actual ball contracts. That good, but they still cosider themselves ballers above all else.

ShaDynasty

Chaos Theory Part 1 - The Album
Daps
He probably got offered a lot of shytty roles where he would be typecast. He's a high pitched, over the top comic actor. Honestly people would be sick of him if he'd done a lot of the shytty comedy movies he was probably offered.

ShaDynasty

Chaos Theory Part 1 - The Album
Daps
If we ever get a Friday reunion or another Rush Hour it will be a rare treat as opposed to: this annoying fukker again, like my reaction to a Sandler or Hart movie.

Daps
Kevin Hart has a work ethic like no other becuase many others could be where is now but they don't have his ethic to get there or just simply didn't want to be there (chappelle).

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
forgot about this thread, re reading gets me heated

saying he is an underachiever implies he actually ever had dreams of being some worldwide famed shakespearean actor. the nikka was obviously just having fun out there. he got the bag and left.

now if the question is could his career have been bigger if he wanted, the answer is yes. but again thats if he wanted. could barry sanders have had more numbers? yes but he decided to retire. could chappelle have stuck with doing chappelles show? yes but he chose to leave. same with tucker. not everybody has the path we want for them, its their life.

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
Tucker probably is, but everybody's goals are different. Some want a legacy career, while others strike it rich and call it a day. Some don't like the fame aspect that comes with it and I can't blame them on that at all.

I don't completely disagree with Chappelle being mentioned. I know his love is really in standup, but he coulda had a HUGE movie career after Chappelle's Show. But it's also pretty obvious he didn't want that level of fame. Be Kind Rewind (which he inspired and the filmmaker wanted him in) woulda been ten times the hit if he had been in it.

I saw Colin Farrell mentioned too, he seems like a dude who is more interested in being a "serious actor" than a movie star. He's been really good in some recent stuff like The Lobster, The Killing of a Sacred Deer and The Gentlemen.