Is #BlackLivesMatter Leading Nowhere?

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I'm not a fan of DeRay but his sexuality has nothing to do with anything. Seeing people attack him because he's gay is asinine. "Black gay neoliberalism" has nothing to do with this. Tired of lazy black homophobia. If you don't fukk with him cool; hell I don't fukk with him and find his run for mayor to be ludicrous. But let's keep it focused on issues.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Sure it does.

1. explain what "black gay neoliberalism" is
2. explain why it, and DeRay, are bad for Baltimore

As I said I don't support his mayor run. However one thing I like about him is that he has not shied away from being quite transparent about his policy views. As I've said before in this thread my problem with BLM has largely revolved around it being an emotional movement with little intellectual or policy focus. DeRay at least has some specific proposals. Whether they work or are good is another issue. As an example, his safety/community views:
Safety

If you want to call that neoliberalism fine. What any of it has to do with him being a gay man is beyond me.

Soon

Banned
Daps
They took advantage of the fact that we've been pacified as a people. Most of our revolutionaries are either dead, in prison, or in exile, save for a few who are c00ning for some change. They came up at a time where people are actually shocked at institutional racism and the fact that police are still killing us. So they took their hash tags, #blacklivesmatter, and ran with it. You gotta understand, the fact that people say they're thinking about their pockets didn't come out of the blue. They just created a 501c(3) and maybe a 501c(4) too, for the sole purpose of getting funding. That's how non-profits work. You gotta be able to get funding from the rich white billionaires. So while they're out there doing the "work", billionaires are paying them, and politicians want their endorsements or they want to become politicians. It's kind of crazy to me how they've been able to fill their pockets and be okay, while back in the day revolutionaries were literally going hungry - on purpose - because they didn't want the money at all. And with a non-profit, grassroots organization, you gotta have a mission, purpose, and goals, there's was "campaign zero" lol.

What are you folks talking about in here?

Last time I checked BLM > than you internet social just warriors who are all talk.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
1. explain what "black gay neoliberalism" is

he has not shied away from being quite transparent about his policy views.

1. The use of one's identity, Black and gay, to brand one's self as useful to the White supremacist structure. Doesn't have to be gay, either, but any identity. The point the tweet was making is there is a historical context for people like Deray whom had similar identities and politics, not some proclamation that being gay is wrong or that all gays are agents.

2. Has DeRay been transparent about TFA? Many people have confronted him and he either deflects, ignores or gives half-answers to obvious critiques of charter schools.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
1. The use of one's identity, Black and gay, to brand one's self as useful to the White supremacist structure. Doesn't have to be gay, either, but any identity. The point the tweet was making is there is a historical context for people like Deray whom had similar identities and politics, not some proclamation that being gay is wrong or that all gays are agents.

2. Has DeRay been transparent about TFA? Many people have confronted him and he either deflects, ignores or gives half-answers to obvious critiques of charter schools.

What evidence do you have that he is doing this, besides him being black and gay? Name some other people you'd label this way historically. I'm assuming James Baldwin and Amiri Baraka are not guilty of this in your mind correct.

I do not support charter schools and am on record. But at the same time I think it's fair to say the public school system has failed black America for decades and will continue to do so. Obviously funding has a lot to do with this; it's hard to blame teachers in Detroit instead of blaming politicians for starving the city district of tax money. Baltimore is another city with depleted tax income due to high crime, poverty, and unemployment. Which means its schools do not work.

Is TFA the answer? I don't believe so. But at the same time I think we're getting dangerously close to having to acknowledge there is no solution: black and Hispanic children will continue to be failed by the education system regardless, creating generations of criminals and unskilled labor that cannot find jobs. But I'm a glass-is-half-empty guy.

Interesting article on his TFA ties:http://inthesetimes.com/article/18904/deray-mckessons-teach-for-america-baltimore

If you want to call him a "plant" that's fine. He is, that's what TFA does. But he hasn't done anything to make me view him as an avatar for white supremacy. Nor does his sexuality have anything to do with this stuff. If anything it seems like he's using his TFA background to branch out and do his own thing in non-education areas.

DarkmanX

All Star
Daps
honestly Im at the point where I full heartily now agree with Umar Johnson

"don't trust no pro black person who is backed by a white person" - Im paraphrasing but I remember him saying that.

this goes to any group(BLM) , artist(conscious rappers), activist, etc

But aint all artists, for example, funded by white people being that they own 99% of these labels/distrubutions?

And people need to stop thinking its only white people. Care about BLACK PEOPLE (ALL BLACK (afro latino, afro americans, africans, black west indians etc) people), but fukk them other "people of (when its convenient) color" aint really down.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
What evidence do you have that he is doing this, besides him being black and gay? Name some other people you'd label this way historically. I'm assuming James Baldwin and Amiri Baraka are not guilty of this in your mind correct.

Beyond Marriage and the Military: Race, Gender, and Radical Sexual Politics in the Age of Neoliberalism

I do not support charter schools and am on record. But at the same time I think it's fair to say the public school system has failed black America for decades and will continue to do so. Obviously funding has a lot to do with this; it's hard to blame teachers in Detroit instead of blaming politicians for starving the city district of tax money. Baltimore is another city with depleted tax income due to high crime, poverty, and unemployment. Which means its schools do not work.

Is TFA the answer? I don't believe so. But at the same time I think we're getting dangerously close to having to acknowledge there is no solution: black and Hispanic children will continue to be failed by the education system regardless, creating generations of criminals and unskilled labor that cannot find jobs. But I'm a glass-is-half-empty guy.

I want to abolish EVERYTHING so anyone peddling public education reform OR TFA will not sit pretty with me.