Is A Philosophy Degree worthless?

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
not going to law school:king:

I actually have one friend who takes Philosophy and he actually enjoys it. I seen all A's and one B. He's not even intellectually gifted (actually a moron lol) but he enjoys it

I asked him what you can do with it it, his reply - "Write a book and go for a Phd and become a prof"

resurrection

By Way of Deception, Thou Shalt Do War
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Got my degree in math and minored in philosophy cuz I liked it. I would suggest a similar path or a double major like others have said.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
money and i thought it wudnt be that difficult...

turns out i dont like it at all:obama::obama:

Damn my nikka, sounds like you cursed with that broke nikka syndrome. You want all the success, but don't want to work for it. I hope you can turn that around before it's too late.

Grand Cru Boo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Yawk New Yawk
philosophy majors are usually exceptional in rhetoric, reasoning. I think if you do major it in, you have to think outside the box- job wise (underwriter, proofreader).

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
If you're interested in philosophy, read it on your own time and watch online courses or buy a course from here:

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/

There's no reason to pay what school costs in order to get a degree that has no real, tangible value. You don't want to sit down and look at your student loans and realize $2,000 to $5,000 came from philosophy classes that have no bearing on your future employment. If you're going to use it as an undergraduate degree before you go to law school, that's one thing, but to get a philosophy degree 'just cuz', you will regret it especially when you find out you can't easily go bankrupt on student loans. You can accomplish the same thing for an iota of the price using the free sources on the internet. Treat school like the certification center it is. Get the degree that will help you find employment in some field as cheaply and as efficiently as you reasonably can do it for.

IronFist

⛩️ 18 Arhat ⛩️
Supporter
Daps
As a degree? The person should ask what role degrees and the education on that subject serves.

Lets look at this from 3 viewpoints my friend. 1st take the notion that the most worthwhile formal degrees are in subjects difficult to study on your own. im not saying that the course cant be challenging, however learning requires important resources at times OR it regulate by law or government. (example: medical field). the study of philosophy isnt a study that requires resources like the aforementioned. you can sit back and do this on your own. the only hangup (if im allowed to use that term) is that if you really want to teach it, you going to need that degree.

However it isnt the only viewpoint. Majority view degrees as value because of the pursuit of knowledge, wisdom and understanding they went through. in this case a degree can be beneficial. if you have a passion for it go for it folk.

lastly the capitalist who foresees the worth by a dollar. here the worth depends on various entities. The study of philosophy can be backed with other career fields to boost your credentials at times. the worth of a degree has its points that are hard to get: skill sets such as logic and critical thinking can help...hell they can help in RL situations. it may overcast technical foresight. in all, i would say the degree is limited to the person.

-IronFist

Sharp

Let That Hoe Go
Daps
I have a dual bachelors in philosophy and psychology.

A philosophy degree is a tactical move for those who want to go into fields that require a masters degree, but don't wanna bust their ass in undergrad.

IMO, Philosophy undergrad degree is easier to obtain than all of the other liberal arts degrees. Then you can go to grad school and major in something that is more lucrative, which is what I did.

Philosophy degrees are good if you plan to teach. But there's no real career for it.

matthew2777

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
ok what about if i get a certificate in computer programming [28 units] ...will i be able to get a programming job with that?

Ohnoits

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The real problem with humanities degrees is that schools don't educate you on how to translate your degree into a profession. People graduate and have no idea what ahistory or English major prepares you for in the corporate world, when the truth is you can use the tools you've learned in logical reasoning, comprehension, writing, theorization and analysis and research to do almost anything. The problem is showing people that you know how to apply it. A strong researcher can teach themselves anything, a person skilled at analysis, can explain complex concepts to others, a person skilled at logical reasoning, should be able to pick up programming as a skill.

All of these things are extremely useful in business if youl can demonstrate aptitude in a particular field with an internship, and argue for that utility in an interview. An interviewer WILL ask you why you majored in (__) to work here. It's your job to give them a good reason why and demonstrate that you are a hard worker who acquired useful skills and didn't piss away 4 years of education partying and boozing.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I remember this fine ass broad that was a philosophy major. She was likr 5'3", wore glasses, and had a nice pair a titties on her for being so thin.

I could've fukked her, but I had to work and shyt. :shaq2: