Iron Man 3

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
Don't you remember the party scene when him and Rhodey fought ?? Hewas drunk and acting reckless

:shaq2:

Dude was dying that is how he was dealing with it. Some people curl up in a ball and die others want to go out in a blaze of glory.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Ben Kingsley is half-Indian (Gujarati to be exact which would make him a Caucasoid when categorizing racial makeup)) so just because he has racial ties to a people that are from the continent of Asia doesn't equal out (even technically) to him being the acceptable chocie for playing a character of Mongoloid racial makeup which is what the Mandarin is supposed to be since he is Chinese/English.
My Theron example was supposed to be just as ridiculous as the assertion that Kingsley being half Indian was pretty much the same as being Chinese just because of the continent the ethnicities originated from.

Ben Kingsley is still half Asian. The Mandarin is half Asian. Whether or not this fictional character is up to your standards of what Asian really is has nothing to do with anything. I could understand if this was some kinda historically accurate movie. It's a comic book character.

And for the last time, Charlize Theron is only African because she was born there. Kingsley is actually half Asian. His real name is Krishna Pandit Bhanji for fukk's sake.

And your comparison still makes no sense. You said this would be like Charlize Theron, a white woman, playing Storm, which is ironic because Halle Berry, who played Storm, is half white. Yet I didn't hear you or anyone else complain.

Why? Because she "looks black". And let's be real here, that's what you're complaining about. Kingsley doesn't "look Asian". Which is retarded because the Mandarin was originally a walking Asian stereotype. Now he's "not Asian enough". Whatever. People just like to complain.

Fred.

• Dap
Reactions: EQ.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Something else I need to point out about this whole faux racial outrage....this is the "Ultimate" version of the Marvel Universe. You know, the one with a black Nick Fury and a black Heimdall. They change the race of characters as they see fit.

But The Mandarin....that's where we draw the line. :childplease:

Fred.

EQ.

Mansur Brown - "Heiwa"
Daps
Reppin
Sunhymns
Ben Kingsley is still half Asian. The Mandarin is half Asian. Whether or not this fictional character is up to your standards of what Asian really is has nothing to do with anything. I could understand if this was some kinda historically accurate movie. It's a comic book character.

And for the last time, Charlize Theron is only African because she was born there. Kingsley is actually half Asian. His real name is Krishna Pandit Bhanji for ****'s sake.

And your comparison still makes no sense. You said this would be like Charlize Theron, a white woman, playing Storm, which is ironic because Halle Berry, who played Storm, is half white. Yet I didn't hear you or anyone else complain.

Why? Because she "looks black". And let's be real here, that's what you're complaining about. Kingsley doesn't "look Asian". Which is retarded because the Mandarin was originally a walking Asian stereotype. Now he's "not Asian enough". Whatever. People just like to complain.

Fred.

Something else I need to point out about this whole faux racial outrage....this is the "Ultimate" version of the Marvel Universe. You know, the one with a black Nick Fury and a black Heimdall. They change the race of characters as they see fit.

Fred.

:what: stop making sense bruh

:troll:

• Dap
Reactions: hex

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps

Fred.

I just wanted to a china man get some work. He didn't have to play him as a stereotype.

The Real

Anti-Ignorance
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I just wanted to a china man get some work. He didn't have to play him as a stereotype.

I feel you, but that's hard to do, because since the original Mandarin drew heavily on racist stereotypes of Asians, most of his attributes as a character are connected to it.

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
I feel you, but that's hard to do, because since the original Mandarin drew heavily on racist stereotypes of Asians, most of his attributes as a character are connected to it.

What? Just give him 10 rings and make him an evil business man. Unless mandarin is as racial charged as calling him yellow claw or something. :manny:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You

And for the last time, Charlize Theron is only African because she was born there. Kingsley is actually half Asian. His real name is Krishna Pandit Bhanji for fukk's sake.

Fred.

Calling the Mandarin "half Asian" and saying that is all the criteria necessary when casting the role is ridiculous. Asia is a big fukking continent full of all sorts of ethnicities. So a blond dude from Russia could have gotten the part based on that criteria.
And it is perfectly reasonable for there to be discussion about the fact that a Chinese character is being played by an Indian.
I also don't get this bizarre rationalization that because a character from East Asia was full of offensive stereotypes during the 1960s it is inconceivable to have an East Asian actor play the role.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
LOL @ people still excusing White Washing in hollywood. They could of gotten Cho Yun Fat, Jet Li, Ken Watanbe and plenty of other actors to play the role. The Excuse that "Oh he was a racist character" is weak cause you aren't going to write the character the same. The fact is they wanted a Big name to play the villian so they went with Kingley but until people call out the problem instead of finding every excuse in the book. The same thing happen with "Dragon Ball" (Goku is not asian he's an alien). Same thing happen with "Prince of Persia", same thing happen with "The Last Airbender" Asian actor can't get roles to save their life. Now look at "The Wolverine", The Silver Samurai is being played by a Japanese Actor period. Why did Marvel get that right? Ben Kingsley IS NOT Chinese and the character is Chinese. Saying he's still from Asia doesn't excuse it. This is typical hollywood for you. I will not give them a pass.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
LOL @ people still excusing White Washing in hollywood. They could of gotten Cho Yun Fat, Jet Li, Ken Watanbe and plenty of other actors to play the role. The Excuse that "Oh he was a racist character" is weak cause you aren't going to write the character the same. The fact is they wanted a Big name to play the villian so they went with Kingley but until people call out the problem instead of finding every excuse in the book. The same thing happen with "Dragon Ball" (Goku is not asian he's an alien). Same thing happen with "Prince of Persia", same thing happen with "The Last Airbender" Asian actor can't get roles to save their life. Now look at "The Wolverine", The Silver Samurai is being played by a Japanese Actor period. Why did Marvel get that right? Ben Kingsley IS NOT Chinese and the character is Chinese. Saying he's still from Asia doesn't excuse it. This is typical hollywood for you. I will not give them a pass.

you are absolutely right bruh... :salute:

but :umad:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

You sound just as silly as the white people complaining about a black Nick Fury and Heimdall. :yeshrug:

Fred.

Daps
Reppin
thetown to global
I'm still :what: that Mandarin is not played by a Chinese/Asian dude. They could've at least tried to make him look more Chinese. :laugh:

edit: just read thru the thread ... i get what @hexagram23 is saying, but @Jello Biafra does have a point ... personally I just prefer comic book movies to stay as close to source material as possible. when i read the comics The MANDARIN is a Chinese guy ... so it'd take me a minute to readjust.

Hollywood does have a track record with this shyt tho ... DragonBall and Airbender being the first ones to come to mind. :manny:

Last edited by a moderator: