Internet forums are disappearing because now it's all Reddit and Discord. And that is worrying

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I use reddit as a search option. Most of the time you'll find the question you're looking for.
In terms of actually participating in conversation there? It's unusable.
You can't find where the conversation started, it's an absolute mess, and by the time you do find where it started, joining the conversation is pointless.
And if you make a post and they don't like it your comment gets hidden. It could be something as simple as, "I like stock ABC for future growth" and your comment will get down voted to oblivion.

All true.

I only like Reddit for small niches so comments top out around 20-100. You get the info and dip.

When I browse the popular tab and see 2,000 comments the top one is usually a dad joke or pun followed by more people trying to get their corny jokes off. When you do reach something relevant to the topic all the replies are an echo chamber. I'll notice a hidden reply and click on it and the person didn't even say anything crazy or a mod got them for going against consensus.

Reddit mods are ridiculous. They basically train everyone to fall in line. I remember a thread about an alleged sexual assault and the mod pinned a warning saying that anyone who questioned whether the assault took place or questioned the "victim" would be banned :dahell:

Braman

Superstar
Daps
Most the internet will be AI bots anyways in a couple of years. Theres already some on the coli.

I wish I could find it but Reddit had a whole ‘demo’ thread made and replied to by bots. And it looked normal. Could only tell it was bots bc they said so…And this was like 2019. So imagine what they can do now.

Especially when

1) there’s incentive for sites/apps to inflate viewership and engagement

2) A perfect storm of social media being more politically correct, an emphasis on brevity, and thirst for attention that makes everyone write in a tryhard catchy zinger format. All of that = it’d be hella easy to mimic the average person’s post

2CT

Prolific Poster
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
My Own 🌍
2002 to the first day Facebook was available for everybody was the golden age of the net. You had to have been there

:banderas:

-The niche forums
-Bagging women
-The anonymity yet authenticity
-The separation between online and offline

agreed but i’d say around 99/2000 was the start instead of 02

pretty much the debut of Napster is when the internet officially become :banderas:

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
I wish I could find it but Reddit had a whole ‘demo’ thread made and replied to by bots. And it looked normal. Could only tell it was bots bc they said so…And this was like 2019. So imagine what they can do now.

Especially when

1) there’s incentive for sites/apps to inflate viewership and engagement

2) A perfect storm of social media being more politically correct, an emphasis on brevity, and thirst for attention that makes everyone write in a tryhard catchy zinger format. All of that = it’d be hella easy to mimic the average person’s post

The best way to figure it out is that they post at you. Like they just talk drop facts or correct you about some shyt. It’s not how normal people talk.