Internet forums are disappearing because now it's all Reddit and Discord. And that is worrying

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I def agree that as everything gets homogenized and insular, the appeal of forums as long form discussion hubs will return. I use Discord and it's cool but...it's mainly just the homies talking shyt, having fun, etc. The discussions are abbreviated and free flowing Like when Mad Max Furiosa came out we discussed it a bit but before you know it ten new trailers or articles about upcoming films we're interested in get posted and bam...we move on. Whereas on the Coli we got a Furiosa thread I can read and interact with when I want to talk about that movie.

Another thing that is missing from Discord are the niche interest threads, official threads for specific activities, etc. Some of them would be popular like official gym threads, others would be more secluded like threads for specific fashion (suits, dress shoes etc). You can still stumble across some of those old threads by googling specific questions but for the most part google just sends you to reddit now.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
I been on the internet since the 90s. Saw this coming a long time ago, but convenience is great user bait. There are still great forums out there that predated the rise of the super forums. Hard to get something to pop off nowadays because Reddit links will show up first.

Local newspapers should go back to having their own forums where locals can chat. But they all ceded that control to the facebooks and google logins.

when I started getting on the megaforums one of the funny things is how they all recycle the same shyt. It’s more about point chasing than the communities.

ItsPeople

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
2002 to the first day Facebook was available for everybody was the golden age of the net. You had to have been there

:banderas:

-The niche forums
-Bagging women
-The anonymity yet authenticity
-The separation between online and offline

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Forums are as far as I've ever gone as far as social media online, and I don't use any other ones. Always SOHH and this. Remember when it was kind of like an embarrassing thing to be online? Around mid 2000's, up until 2010 or so. It was like nerd shyt.

but what forums gave me, was somewhere to have more in depth discussions about mainly rap music, but from that came movies, culture, TV, current events. As a form of self expression, the lack of USER ID is important, because there's no real brand I am trying to either protect or grow. I am essentially the same person. You'd get the same convos and the same opinions off line, but this isn't where I market myself to close associates and followers.

Reddit is cool. I don't use it really, but I have read some reddits about subjects that gave me info. But, even moreso than on here, there comes the idea of posting for laughs, posting for identity, who can have the wittiest and shortest comment. And that entire kind of dynamic has led to a flattening of communication across all of modern life. Things are expressed in emoji, memes, and quick sentences. but how and what do you learn like that?

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
Forums are as far as I've ever gone as far as social media online, and I don't use any other ones. Always SOHH and this. Remember when it was kind of like an embarrassing thing to be online? Around mid 2000's, up until 2010 or so. It was like nerd shyt.

but what forums gave me, was somewhere to have more in depth discussions about mainly rap music, but from that came movies, culture, TV, current events. As a form of self expression, the lack of USER ID is important, because there's no real brand I am trying to either protect or grow. I am essentially the same person. You'd get the same convos and the same opinions off line, but this isn't where I market myself to close associates and followers.

Reddit is cool. I don't use it really, but I have read some reddits about subjects that gave me info. But, even moreso than on here, there comes the idea of posting for laughs, posting for identity, who can have the wittiest and shortest comment. And that entire kind of dynamic has led to a flattening of communication across all of modern life. Things are expressed in emoji, memes, and quick sentences. but how and what do you learn like that?
I remember how taboo online dating was back then too

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
And I read an explanation in a book last year, but it was hard to understand, and would need to read again, but Google search results are not exactly easy anymore. They are maybe weighted too much towards sponsored content, or recent results. I don't know, but the ease of finding what I wanted isn't there as often. Takes me like 10X sometimes.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I remember how taboo online dating was back then too

Reading a book about the 90's, it must be part partially that the Clinton administration basically let Sillicon Valley write their own ticket from 1992-2000, and USA saw a huge period of economic expansion and innovation, and the Bush admin probably just ignored Sillicon Valley, and then it was embraced even more by the Obama Admin, who used Facebook and Myspace to win the campaigns, 2008 and 2012.

Not for better necessarily but a different administration approach, would have prevented Sillicon Valley influence from creeping into every aspect of our lives. maybe.

Internet (American innovation) + smartphone (American innovation but cheap Chinese manufacturing) + social media (Harvard innovation and VC funding)
+ Presidential campaign funded by large Democratic donors

there's no way with those influences it doesn't become what it did.

Last edited:

Black Hans

Follow Jesus. Be Beautiful
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
John 14:6
Reddit is too much of an echo chamber for actual discussion. If you post anything that is different from the prevailing opinion, it gets hidden.

I use it for for simple stuff like "how to fix my leaking fridge", etc.
The irony. :mjgrin: It'll get you penalized and bushed/temp-banned on TheColi. :mjpls: Especially in TLR and HL :sas2:

Black White Sox Hat

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
We’ll all line up and fight together.We must all stay together as a single unit.We advance as 1.Remember the only way to win is to stay together.Arm to Arm,Breh to Breh,Man to Man.

B86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Da Burgh
Oh well. Reddit is the most useful site on the internet like I been telling The Coli for at least 5 years (I would never go there to any subReddit to "chat", though, like we do on The Coli).