Internet forums are disappearing because now it's all Reddit and Discord. And that is worrying

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
Those algorithm ran sites are breeding grounds for echo chamber zombies and flamewars.flame wars. I have my reservations about forum because mods can hold grudges but at least thr bias is obvious. Some Facebook groups act like the world doesn't exist outside of their group. Or a reddit subforum is full criticism against opps who will never see it.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
I use reddit as a search option. Most of the time you'll find the question you're looking for.
In terms of actually participating in conversation there? It's unusable.
You can't find where the conversation started, it's an absolute mess, and by the time you do find where it started, joining the conversation is pointless.
And if you make a post and they don't like it your comment gets hidden. It could be something as simple as, "I like stock ABC for future growth" and your comment will get down voted to oblivion.

All my favorite sports forums I was on from 2002-2012 all disappeared one by one. After the coli I'm hanging up my boots.
:manny:

actually in a way I think it's better for conversation, a single page with threaded comments discussing the same story but with multiple view points, as apposed to multiple page multiple threads discussing the same topic. reddit does support multiple threads but the fact remains you can get a lot of different view points and easily follow a conversation with the tree structure. I like thecoli because it's easier to bump an old discussion from 10 years ago and have a nice chronological view of what's been said and the quote feature makes it easy to address people in the same thread or a different thread.

I've been saving reddit threads for years now. theres just so much valuable information on that site.

edit:
when i wrote this I was referring to https://old.reddit.com

I absolutely hate the new reddit design at https://new.reddit.com

Last edited:

Windows 91

Unreleased Operating System
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
C:\
Reddit is too much of an echo chamber for actual discussion. If you post anything that is different from the prevailing opinion, it gets hidden.

I use it for for simple stuff like "how to fix my leaking fridge", etc.

Arizax2

All Star
Daps
The coli is the only forum im in and regularly use outside of RealGM.

As someone that ran a discord server, it isn't better in my eyes as a normal forum. Also mute myself from getting notifications on highly active discords. It is beyond annoying.

Reddit is damn good but forums have a place in this world for me along as the coli and realgm is around.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
Most the internet will be AI bots anyways in a couple of years. Theres already some on the coli.
No.
This is my theory as well. Gated online communities will be the only way. Problem is with AGI it will find way around it. But for now the Coli is a haven. It's the only place "online" that isn't filled with so many terminally online people. I hope we keep it going for another decade and many more.
:usure:

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Do we really need a reputation system?

I remember forums before we had "upvotes"/"downvotes"/"reps".

I think it was better tbh.

need a rep system for decentralized users responding on domain that they didn't originate from and whose members aren't familiar with. i mean you can have a high rep on a forum but that forum could be a racist forum that rewards racism then a user shouldn't be able to use that rep on any other forum like one that isn't about racism or is a target of said racism.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
I said this numerous times, if The Coli were to collapsed as the servers got bad knees and in need of sexual healing, I'm done.

I'm tired of having to get sucked into a void of talking heads and etc. I just want the old feeling of immersion. How can I have that on a platform that has a bunch of semen looking avatars, and another that's hard to deal with because every time I open the shyt, I get greeted with a pointless upgrade and a new way of fukking me financially.

Maybe I just want to log in, talk my shyt, and chuck the peace. It's getting to the point where it's obvious that the internet is being reorganized to suit individuality.

You can't manipulate a crowd, but you damn for sure can manipulate one by one.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Google killed forums years ago when the removed/nerfed the "forum" option from the search page

Along with swallowing the blog sites whole :francis: . Like everything that company touch turns into chitlin shyt.

*uses Google spell check*