Inside Russell Wilson's "close knit" and "exclusive" inner circle

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
There are perfectly fine public institutions as well. During elementary school my parents tried that with me and I absolutely hated it.

Even in the best public schools you can look around and see 1 or 2 nikkas in a classroom if you live in an affluent area.

Turk

Young, Gifted, and Black
Daps
Reppin
Southside
Even in the best public schools you can look around and see 1 or 2 nikkas in a classroom if you live in an affluent area.

That's true. If I'm affluent I want my kids to be around black people.....I know what it's like to be the only black kid in a class. I don't want my kids to have that same experience.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
You telling me you wouldnt send your child to the best school you could? Really. Come on man that goes against the thought process of damn near every parent out there. Its the reason shytty homes in good school districts cost more than nice homes around shytty schools.
the best school takes into account a lot of things. i had the chance to go to one of those uppity high schools and turned it down, i had a few friends who went though the program and ended up at those schools; not only did they have a worse time socially in high school, they also didn't fare as well when it came time to apply to college. it's a lot harder to stand out in a school that offers everything academically and where everyone has a 3.5+ unweighted GPA, whereas my school was decent, but i excelled through the hardest course of study offered there thus i stood out. if you're not from that socio-economic background (i.e. politicians, generational wealth, financiers, business leaders, etc.) there's a lot of options that lie between sending your kid to some struggling public school and some uppity east coast academy where they will struggle to fit in.

edit: it also could be becuase i'm from the bay (pre-gentrification) where you really would see blacks, latinos, underrepresented asians, and cool ass white people all kick it, no way i was down to be at a school where i'm working to fulfill their diversity quota. i wouldn't need my kid to be surrounded by mostly black students, but i'd definitely prefer they be in a place where you see a variety of faces, not just the 5-6 they let in to reach the 10% "other" threshold.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
the best school takes into account a lot of things. i had the chance to go to one of those uppity high schools and turned it down, i had a few friends who went though the program and ended up at those schools; not only did they have a worse time socially in high school, they also didn't fare as well when it came time to apply to college. it's a lot harder to stand out in a school that offers everything academically and where everyone has a 3.5+ unweighted GPA, whereas my school was decent, but i excelled through the hardest course of study offered there thus i stood out. if you're not from that socio-economic background (i.e. politicians, generational wealth, financiers, business leaders) there's a lot that lies between sending your kid to some struggling public school and some uppity east coast academy where they will struggle to fit in

But there is another side to that. I started out at a private school then my parents sent me to a public high school because money got kinda tight. The academic standards were definitely lower (even though i was in AP and honors classes) so my GPA was high as fukk but man when i got to college i was not prepared at all. I would have been a lot better off taking a hit in my GPA at that private school and actually being pushed academically than coasting with straight As at the public joint where my study habits went to hell.

Socially i was fine because the private school was local so i had a mix of friends at both the private and public school from playing sports and just being out in the neighborhoods. Its a completely different story if you take a kid from a black elementary and middle school then try and stick them in a white high school and vice versa. A black kid who always went to a white school and grew up in a predominantly white area is not going to be adversely affected by remaining in that environment. They will be going to school with the friends they been cool with since kindergarten. Im assuming thats the case here with Russell Wilson. Thats the environment he grew up in so its natural his day one friends gonna be white.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
But there is another side to that. I started out at a private school then my parents sent me to a public high school because money got kinda tight. The academic standards were definitely lower (even though i was in AP and honors classes) so my GPA was high as fukk but man when i got to college i was not prepared at all. I would have been a lot better off taking a hit in my GPA at that private school and actually being pushed academically than coasting with straight As at the public joint where my study habits went to hell.

Socially i was fine because the private school was local so i had a mix of friends at both the private and public school from playing sports and just being out in the neighborhoods. Its a completely different story if you take a kid from a black elementary and middle school then try and stick them in a white high school and vice versa. A black kid who always went to a white school and grew up in a predominantly white area is not going to be adversely affected by remaining in that environment. They will be going to school with the friends they been cool with since kindergarten. Im assuming thats the case here with Russell Wilson. Thats the environment he grew up in so its natural his day one friends gonna be white.
yep, that's why i said if you're from the same socio economic background, then it's nothing to be at those schools, you grew up with those people, that IS your life. but for the parents that are always on "the best school possible" without giving regard to the other factors that go into a school, you could easily be setting up your kid to fail or at the least be mostly miserable (altho all teens are miserable lol) during HS.

as for low academic standards and not being prepared for college, again, that goes into choosing the right school. my high school (a catholic school) did a good job of being able to cater to a variety of students, for the super average, Chico State is my peak student, there were classes for them, for those of us in the AP classes or ahead academically, those AP classes challenged us. but also by the nature them having ~10 AP classes as opposed to 40, there was also less pressure to kill yourself trying to keep up with the jonses in that regard. you didn't need to take a 6 AP classes per semester to be the top student, you could stand out by taking the 2-3 that were available to you that year and still have time to be involved in EC's and have a social life.

i don't know, i went through public school through 8th grade and then an ok HS and ended up at pretty good schools for college (didn't feel unprepared and did fine academically) and b-school, looking through my education, i've seen that gunning for the best school (prior to college) isn't necessary for success at each level. home/family values + that student's personal work ethic >>>>>> being at the best elementary/HS (within reason)

Carolina Slim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh by way of Crooklyn
My high school is my avatar; to this day my four years there was one of the best experiences of my life; some of my friends to this day are Asian, Jewish, Italian, Indian, you name it. We all kicked it during those four years, and I think it helped shape how I get down; I'm very inclusive and prone to kicking it with everyone, provided that you cool. I wouldn't have fared as well, I don't think, had I gone to either one of those elitist private schools where I would have been one of a handful of blacks, or one of the neighborhood "zoned" schools, where I would be limited in who I was dealing with.

Axum Ezana

Driving in the fast lane
Daps
I grew up in all white schools and all black.....but other than family I have no group.

now while I was at my all white school...I had a group of blacks friends that I hung around.....its like everyone :mjpls:migrates toward each other in "those situations":sas2:

but now ima a lone........
Howling-Wolf-T-Shirt-Tee-The-Mountain-225x225.jpg

Houston911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
yep, that's why i said if you're from the same socio economic background, then it's nothing to be at those schools, you grew up with those people, that IS your life. but for the parents that are always on "the best school possible" without giving regard to the other factors that go into a school, you could easily be setting up your kid to fail or at the least be mostly miserable (altho all teens are miserable lol) during HS.

as for low academic standards and not being prepared for college, again, that goes into choosing the right school. my high school (a catholic school) did a good job of being able to cater to a variety of students, for the super average, Chico State is my peak student, there were classes for them, for those of us in the AP classes or ahead academically, those AP classes challenged us. but also by the nature them having ~10 AP classes as opposed to 40, there was also less pressure to kill yourself trying to keep up with the jonses in that regard. you didn't need to take a 6 AP classes per semester to be the top student, you could stand out by taking the 2-3 that were available to you that year and still have time to be involved in EC's and have a social life.

i don't know, i went through public school through 8th grade and then an ok HS and ended up at pretty good schools for college (didn't feel unprepared and did fine academically) and b-school, looking through my education, i've seen that gunning for the best school (prior to college) isn't necessary for success at each level. home/family values + that student's personal work ethic >>>>>> being at the best elementary/HS (within reason)

Did you just refer to Stanford as a "pretty good college" :huh:

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Dude has pretty rich parents, the only thing that's only sad is that we don't have enough rich black people :manny:

What you gonna do? Cats fukk with the people they come up with and if you are rich and black there's a big chance that most of your friends will be white.

He has to sign to Roc Nation :yes:
Dumped his high school becky, watching games with Jay, it's looking good brehs :shaq:

Goat poster

KANG LIFE
Daps
What's being overlooked in this thread is that even most of the top public schools are all white.

If you don't come from a diverse city/area ( NYC, the Bay, LA) it hard not to have to send your kids to a majority white school if you want the best.

If you live in the segregated south or Midwest (like Gary, Indiana or flint Michigan) the diversity you guys speak of barley exist if at all.

It's either shytty city public schools, affluent private school, or you move to a suburb with a better school district but it's mostly White.

RG3 went to public school...it's just in the burbs.

Edit: I didn't count Catholic/Christian school cause technically that still private school, plus I would never send my kids to a religious school.