In your opinion what is the best Metal Gear Solid game?

What is the best Metal Gear Solid game?

Votes: 18 30.0%

Votes: 5 8.3%

Votes: 34 56.7%

Votes: 2 3.3%

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Yeah, pretty much. 1 and 3 had the perfect balance of story/movie delivery with gameplay and until 5, 3 had the best overall gameplay and some of the best boss fights as well. It's why 3 is heralded because it just does just about everything right and the send off to the Boss was *chef's kiss*. Meanwhile, II, IV & V had shenanigans abound as to what slighted their greatness.
5 had the best gameplay. It gets a lot of hate, but i checked out on the story halfway in anyway When the butt naked sniper chick showed up i was done with the story:mjlol:

. It was a dream to play though, still have not played a stealth game or really any game where the movement, controls, mechanics, etc felt so good to play. And the open ended missions were a perfect sandbox to mess around in.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I mean, you know what you are getting into with a metal gear game but MGS4 was wild with the cutscenes :mjlol:

And then with like you mentioned the forced walking sections and the game didn’t seem to have much gameplay. There were no extended gameplay sections ala MGS1 where you just had to figure stuff out.

I liked it cause i liked being back to solid snake and the gameplay was good when they let you play it.

Yeah, pretty much. 1 and 3 had the perfect balance of story/movie delivery with gameplay and until 5, 3 had the best overall gameplay and some of the best boss fights as well. It's why 3 is heralded because it just does just about everything right and the send off to the Boss was *chef's kiss*. Meanwhile, II, IV & V had shenanigans abound as to what slighted their greatness.
Man but MGS4 had some of the greatest moments in the entire series.
Going back to Shadow Moses!?! Come on!
The girls all themed after the OG MGS1 bosses.
You can't downplay the impact MGS4 is full of.
I get it, the cutscenes can be obnoxiously long but man.
I don't remember MGS3 giving me chills like MGS4 did with so many call backs to MGS1.
Metal Gear Rex vs Metal Gear Ray almost puts a tear in my eye. :to:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
5 had the best gameplay. It gets a lot of hate, but i checked out on the story halfway in anyway When the butt naked sniper chick showed up i was done with the story:mjlol:

. It was a dream to play though, still have not played a stealth game or really any game where the movement, controls, mechanics, etc felt so good to play. And the open ended missions were a perfect sandbox to mess around in.
But you had no problem with the butt naked white boy cart wheeling through the big shell. :russ:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Shouts to @KingsOfKings for putting that rep

200w.gif

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Man but MGS4 had some of the greatest moments in the entire series.
Going back to Shadow Moses!?! Come on!
The girls all themed after the OG MGS1 bosses.
You can't downplay the impact MGS4 is full of.
I get it, the cutscenes can be obnoxiously long but man.
I don't remember MGS3 giving me chills like MGS4 did with so many call backs to MGS1.
Metal Gear Rex vs Metal Gear Ray almost puts a tear in my eye. :to:

Yeah. MGS4 was the MGS2 we never got.

I just didn’t like the flow of the game. It’s the only metal gear that doesn’t feel like a sandbox.

It was the “sony cinematic:mjpls:” MGS game.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I only really played 1, 2, and 4. The others I didn't get into. Played the intro to both 3 & 5 and dropped both.

I think of what I've played 1 is best.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I actually liked him better in 2. In 4 they just made him a soulless edgelord
Raiden was handled poorly in part 2 AND 4.

MGS1 did an amazing job with Solid Snake.

The anticipation around MGS2 was incredible.
They teased us with the tanker mission in MGS 2 and then pulled the carpet out from under us. In place of this rugged, "man's man" type of solo super solider they gave us a baby faced skinny blonde haired kid (that if I remember correctly Snake even mistakes him for a woman the first time seeing him). The first time we even see Raiden they refer to him as Snake. Everything surrounding his introduction was poorly executed and left me constantly asking "so when are we going to go back to playing as Solid Snake?". Even the cartwheel mechanic in place of Snake's roll was cheesy. Throughout the story of MGS2 they mention this "Jack The Ripper" persona that we don't really get to see. Instead we get butt naked Raiden flipping around while Solid Snake is back to his iconic sneaking suit but we can't play as him. The narrative around Raiden throughout the whole game frames him as inexperienced and immature. His character was unlikable and a beta male especially when compared directly to Snake, and the enemies they were up agains.

MGS4 brings Raiden back to us in the most absurd overcorrection I've seen in any medium of entertainment.
Raiden goes from an almost pathetic loser aura to now breakdancing on the ground with a metal gear on each foot, slicing buildings in half, and has the strength of 7 supermans and 3 brock lesners. I'm not blind to what they were TRYING to do with Raiden overall, but it all was just terribly executed in my opinion and I've seen it be a common opinion online as well.

All of this actually sheds light on one of my main gripes with the series.
A huge part of what made Metal Gear Solid incredibly special to me was Solid Snake.
I always felt like the success of part 3 hurt Solid's opportunity to be back at center stage.
When I first played as Big Boss I was fine with it because "heck, he looks, acts, and moves, like Solid Snake".
But as the series progressed I feel like Solid never got the correct amount of time in the spot light and the series shifted heavily to "The tragic story of Big Boss".