in the early 90's if you weren't street/thug/calling women bytches, you weren't popping -Kid N Play

tuckgod

The high exalted
Bushed
Daps
Where did u pull these stats from?

No need for stats if you were there.

Whodini and Run DMC had MONSTER, undeniable record after record when they came out.

They were the exception, not the rule.

:wow:

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
that's the best you can come up with? those aren't huge numbers breh.

I didn't say they weren't successful. I was responding to you claiming that they were 2 of the most successful acts of the '90s.

going 1 or 2x plat isn't chit compared to the big dogs of the '90s. that's all I was saying.....along with the fact that both groups conformed in the mid-90s, which I guess you agree with since you didn't argue.

nah breh

you miss understood, my post was a replied to the dude that's arguing for kid n play
and YES these were some of the most successful acts during the 90's

again, i know your not a outkast fan but they sold roughly 10 million albums from their 90's catalog, so i only assume your not talking bout them & more about ATCQ
although, tribe never pushed major units isn't the issues the fact that they dropped 5 albums in the 90's 2 of them gold & the other 3 platinum IMO is more incredible then a nikka selling 3 or 4 million one time & his/her next album flopping
note: their 1st album going gold in 1990 when east coast acts couldn't sell shyt

as far as your other comment about them - i refuse to address - because you sounded ridiculous
you called their original clothing/style fakkit

:snoop: they started out with the times if that late 80's early 90's afrocentric look
:what: WTF is homo about this

tribe.jpg

Ron Fox

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Thats top secret information
No need for stats if you were there.

Whodini and Run DMC had MONSTER, undeniable record after record when they came out.

They were the exception, not the rule.

I was there thats why i'm wondering where you pulled these stats from.

If you have no credible source best believe i'm not gonna just take your word for it.

Rappers Delight went platinum as well.

I find it odd that you actually think that the hood can push a person platinum when most platinum records sell because they are very popular, meaning they surpass the hood.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
we're the same age but cmon fam...we've all heard this before, but you know this what i bolded is bullshyt.

dr dre use to ride around in his music videos with uzi's n shyt...the same dude who 10 years later was in goofy ass videos with Eminem and a lab coat.

at some point a long the way, the gangsta shyt became a selling point and it went over the top

THIS is when the protests started coming in heavy.

But gangsta rap is just the tip of the iceberg. nikkas still get killed everyday coast to coast. Rap gave you the backstory for those who never lived in the hood or never was involved in the dope game and gang banging. That's why street rap is still relevant to this day. :mjpls:

And why does Dre have to be the face of gangsta rap? Really NWA was heavily influenced by BDP Criminal Minded and just took that style a step further. Dre wasn't even as revolutionary as cac Hip Hop fans want him to be. All Dre did was bring Cali music and style to the mainstream. Dre and Snoop heavily jacked Bay shyt. Snoop admittedly got his whole style from 415 from Oakland. X Raided was arrested for murder after he dropped Psycho Active because he always really living that life. He didn't record that album for cacs or commit that murder for street cred with cacs. That's the problem with casual fans of Hip Hop who are from somewhere where Hip Hop is not an organic culture untampered by the mainstream. I'm from the Bay and our independent Bay legends are like our griots. Independent Bay artists spit gangsta shyt and weren't trying to gain mainstream respect. They just talked about what they knew. You can also flip it, cacs like that non-threatening Native Tongues rap. Living around violence is a reality of the hood, rap is the icing on the cake and aging white Hip Hop purists don't like that shyt. :ufdup:

tuckgod

The high exalted
Bushed
Daps
This thread got me sick to my stomach reading some of these comments.

Please stop trying to put y'all backwards, common era thinking on Hip Hop culture from the golden era of the late 70s though the mid 90s.

We didn't think or act like y'all....at all.

tuckgod

The high exalted
Bushed
Daps
If you have no credible source

That kinda talk lets me know you in fact wasn't there.

There are no "credible sources" to pull that type of info from, only word of mouth from the memories of the people that actually lived it.

I remember when the artists I named were hot, how their songs touched the whole community, and how when they first came out the only people that were fukking with them were their people.

Their people pushed them to gold or platinum status, then once the rest of the world caught on, the double, triple platinum plaques started coming.

I don't have anything to prove to you breh, the folks in the know, already know I'm speaking pure facts.

Ron Fox

Banned
Daps
Reppin
That kinda talk lets me know you in fact wasn't there.

There are no "credible sources" to pull that type of info from, only word of mouth from the memories of the people that actually lived it.

I remember when the artists I named were hot, how their songs touched the whole community, and how when they first came out the only people that were fukking with them were their people.

Their people pushed them to gold or platinum status, then once the rest of the world caught on, the double, triple platinum plaques started coming.

I don't have anything to prove to you breh, the folks in the know, already know I'm speaking pure facts.

Hold on...You say there are no "credible sources" to pull that type of info from, only word of mouth from the memories of the people that actually lived it.

But no one gave a damn about album sales in the 80's. No one was talking like that back then.
:heh:

And you assume I'm lying because I asked for stats that I never heard of in my life when I dont remember convos in the 80's about hip hop album sales....How sway?

tuckgod

The high exalted
Bushed
Daps
Nice and smooth were still culturally down and never got hit bad past just nice and smooth having rnb based hooks as their main selling point consistently.
Till sometimes I rhyme slow showed they had joints with out the rnb power vocal hooks.
Which still gave them a teeter tottering pass.
Whereas kid n play were completely on the outs as actual rappers culturally.
as soon as they went to far past their cartoon and came back out with basically a yo yo gabbo gabbo style song and commercial look and feel for the new house party as well.

Nice and smooth still held cultural ties,...
Kid n play not so much to not at all, in the same cultural ideals at at group legacy wise.

Nice and smooth was still floating around premier and culturally connected to pretty much the flow used in all of commercial rap today ass standard.

Art Barr

One of the most popular groups of the late 80s/early 90s.

My introduction to Nice N Smooth

All of these are hood classics.

There was nothing like being at a pep rally/basketball game/party and see the reaction to any of these records dropping from like '90 - '92.

:wow:

tuckgod

The high exalted
Bushed
Daps
Hold on...You say there are no "credible sources" to pull that type of info from, only word of mouth from the memories of the people that actually lived it.

But no one gave a damn about album sales in the 80's. No one was talking like that back then.
:heh:

And you assume I'm lying because I asked for stats that I never heard of in my life when I dont remember convos in the 80's about hip hop album sales....How sway?

What you have to realize is, rappers didn't get popular unless the hood made them popular in the first place.

And I don't mean the hood in the late 90s to today term.

I mean the neighborhood/black community, black people from all types of economic backgrounds that resided in prodominately black neighborhoods. (I know that idea may seem foreign to a lot of cats, but those types of neighborhoods did exist not too long ago)

By the time those numbers came out, that reflected the popularity an artist had among the black community, and the rapper then became a nationwide phenomenon, we were already on to the next, new hot shyt.

Too many white folks was fukkin' with it for it to still be considered cool.

It wasn't something that influenced whether or not we fukked with an artist in the first place.

But at the same time, there were hip hop nerds back then, such as myself, that did at least pay attention to industry talk because we always had our noses in The Source, Murder Dog, Vibe, etc.

Ron Fox

Banned
Daps
Reppin
But at the same time, there were hip hop nerds back then, such as myself, that did at least pay attention to industry talk because we always had our noses in The Source, Murder Dog, Vibe, etc.

Dude....you name dropping 90's mags and we talking about the 80's.

In the 80's it was Fresh, Black Beat, Word Up and Right On.....Jet and Ebony still counted as well...or am i going to far back for you.

Like I said, we didnt care about album sales in the 80's. Every rappers story is you get hood approval first then u blow up, thats common knowledge, unless u The Rapping Duke or Rapping Rodney(am I going to far back for you again?). But again, no one was talking album sales in the 80's.