in the early 90's if you weren't street/thug/calling women bytches, you weren't popping -Kid N Play

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
I took your earlier posts to suggest that hip hop music was being changed by white people so that it would be more palatable to white kids. As if The Chronic was initially on a PE vibe but then the execs made Dre go back and rewrite/rerecord the album because the content wasn't appealing enough to white kids.

So I asked some questions to flesh out whether that's what you were actually saying. I see now that its not.

I'm with you on the idea that the labels started pushing gangsta rap.
But I get skittish when people start to suggest that classic Death Row albums weren't the albums that Dre/Snoop/Pac wanted to make.

I also take issue if you're suggesting that Death Row was only popular with white kids.

Quite the opposite. Dre/Snoop/Pac/Daz/Kurrupt/Nate Dogg/Luke Skyywalker definitely made the music that they wanted to make.

However, we cannot ignore their ongoing, OUTSIZED impact (NWA, Ice Cube included) in comparison to what
came before them, due to their comfort with representing levels of sex, crime, murder, mayhem that LL, Chuck,
Rakim, Kane, Jalil, Ecstacy, Milk Dee, Posdnuos, Daddy O , Run, D, Erick Sermon, Heavy D, Shan, Markie Dee, Doug Fresh, Biz, Pebblee Poo, Sweet Tee, Charlie Brown, Dinco Dee perhaps didn't want to do.

Not everybody was capable of doing what Lyte did, going from "Lyte As A Rock" and "10 Percent Dis" in the 80s, to suddenly "I Need A Ruffneck":hhh: in '93.

There were plenty of black kids who were good with Death Row, no doubt. But there were also plenty who weren't, for sure. It was the white kids who sent their sales numbers through the rafters.

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
This is true of every high selling rapper ever. Maybe platinum? Certainly double platinum.

It was true of pretty much every black act who did major numbers beyond the black audience.

Luther Vandross, PE and Whodini would plateau at 1 million/platinum sales (and PE had a considerable white following,
but nowhere near the NWA/Death Row/Cash Money realm.

Luther would complain about why he wasn't able to do Lionel Richie numbers.

You needed the white-focused record distribution chains of that time (Tower, Coconuts, Strawberries, Record World) and
the big box stores to hit the multi-platinum/mega-platinum numbers.

LL on "Bigger And Deffer" was probably an exception because that album sold so well with black girls
and young women, due to "I Need Love." It was one of the few rap albums that galvanized the genders in
the community.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
It was true of pretty much every black act who did major numbers beyond the black audience.

Luther Vandross, PE and Whodini would plateau at 1 million/platinum sales (and PE had a considerable white following,
but nowhere near the NWA/Death Row/Cash Money realm.

Luther would complain about why he wasn't able to do Lionel Richie numbers.

You needed the white-focused record distribution chains of that time (Tower, Coconuts, Strawberries, Record World) and
the big box stores to hit the multi-platinum/mega-platinum numbers.

LL on "Bigger And Deffer" was probably an exception because that album sold so well with black girls
and young women, due to "I Need Love." It was one of the few rap albums that galvanized the genders in
the community.
I agree with you on all this...but at the end of the day...it's all just demographic based supposition. I'd love to see the actual sales figures. I know the record labels must have that data. Where the sales come from.

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Yup. The Chronic dropping was pretty much the timestamp that ended that era. :yeshrug:

It was like waking up one day in '92, turning on the local Top 40 station and saying to yourself: "Wait,
are they playing Dre and Snoop in heavy rotation in-between Whitney Houston and The Spin Doctors?"

The world hasn't been the same since.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
DOG

the will smith stuff was cornier. will smith made the fresh prince look like brotha lynch.
the will smith stuff came out in a different climate, and he did it on the back of his Hollywood success - hence, him using his real name. and lets not act like the will smith records were accepted by hip-hop fans.

as for the bolded, I was talking about the early '90s era specifically. that was the era that was the topic of the comment I was responding to.

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with my argument.

Its like that in every era.

you can see the shift in the '92 video.
Will Smith been corny his whole career. And Will did have records played on urban stations in the late 90s. Especially Men In Black. He was never looked at as a serious lyricist so that didn't really matter. either way I think we're saying the same thing. If he was able to garner success as corny as he was. That "gangsta rap" excuse that alotta these groups and artists was using as an excuse for their fall off is null and void. Im not here to argue that Will smith wasnt corny. lol

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Lots of truth here.

KnP ate well from the late 80s to the same EARLY 90s so they are lying. 92 was roughly the end though for them though.

that was a Kwame quote. not kid-n-play.
and by early '90s, he was moreso referring to the latter part & the mid-90s.

but the thread and the previous thread that this is spinned from, didn't address any of this.

so everybody is kinda arguing all over the place in here.

Will Smith been corny his whole career. And Will did have records played on urban stations in the late 90s. Especially Men In Black. He was never looked at as a serious lyricist so that didn't really matter. either way I think we're saying the same thing. If he was able to garner success as corny as he was. That "gangsta rap" excuse that alotta these groups and artists was using as an excuse for their fall off is null and void. Im not here to argue that Will smith wasnt corny. lol

I was talking about the last fresh prince records. the last I remember was summertime.
the will smith rap catalog came out in a whole different timeframe years later.

jazzy jeff & fresh prince did indeed fall victim to the gangsta rap excuse. you even admitted the last album didn't do well.

Not every group was ruined by gangsta rap and using an unsung gateway show aired on a Viacom network.
Is always never going to tell the full story.

nah

tv-one is owned by urban one.

but yea, unsung isn't a hip-hop based show.

I'll find that video. It's a female rapping rolling in a 64 or a 63.

champ mc?

Blade Brown was based on reality??? Never knew that but it makes sense.

yea, and kid was the nerd.

Last edited:

Ron Fox

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Thats top secret information
I didn't say it always does. I said it could. It's very possible. I believe the hood made Jay plat wit The Blueprint.

I totally disagree

Blueprint was all over MTV. Jay did an MTV unplugged around the same time to prmote the album. Girls, Girls Girls video had Carmen Electra in it. You cant get a more commercial promoted album then what was done with Blueprint.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
I totally disagree

Blueprint was all over MTV. Jay did an MTV unplugged around the same time to prmote the album. Girls, Girls Girls video had Carmen Electra in it. You cant get a more commercial promoted album then what was done with Blueprint.
But it went plat in NYC alone. And that was the week of 9/11. I guess there's no real way of seeing who specifically bought it tho. So u may be right. I know for sure u can go gold in the hood.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
As an 11 year old I liked this song, but today it sounds like so Yo Gabba Gabba sh*t you show your 3 year old kids.

Party at the Funhouse, WTF? Where was the J.D. Roth cameo?

Whereas Nice & Smooth was dropping verses about real life sh*t

Smooth B verse on this:banderas:

KENNY DA COOKER

HARD ON HOES is not a word it's a LIFESTYLE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
nikka let me tell you, if concsicous rap isn't seen as soft how come when mothafukkas like Common made a diss to Ice Cube and Westside Connection he was hit with scrutiny?
How come so many new coming rappers posed as thugs and gangstas instead of professors or enlightened ones?
How come so many mixtapes don't have that much conscious rappers but up and coming hustlers or what have you? And I'm sure you going to name some anomalies but for the most part they didn't exist on a vast scale.

Its cool to see more positive rap now coming out like Kendrick or J Cole but they still few and far in between when it comes to new rappers.

Public Enemy and BDP are from the 80s,Im talking about 90s era bro. Moreover even KRS had to do little gangsta shyt with his content like 9 milimeter or Criminal Minded.Be real about this.

We talking about 90s era when conscious shyt just faded.
If you look Jeru The Damaja's song Playing Yaself(mid 90s).his whole thesis was its difficult to be positive raps because people were not trying to hear conscious rap at the time,WHY ELSE DID GANGSTA RAP get so POPULAR?Most fans black and white took to it ,PERIOD.

you is a gottdamn idiot....

COMMON's diss song to cube and Westide connect was entitled the B1TCH IN YOU

And is without doubt one of the hardest diss songs of all time up thier with the BRIDGE IS OVER and ETHER

i first heard it on a DJ CLUE tape matter of fact it was a banger on a lot of cats mixtapes.....S&S...GRANDMASTER VIC...and MISTER CEE and DOO WOP tapes.....

you don't know wtf you talking about...and again WHERE DA FUKK ARE U FROM??....cause i doubt you even lived in a urban area ..

much less the USA with your pathetic hip hop knowledge.....

matter of fact im thru having dialogue with buffoons like you...TAKE THIS NEG HOE :camby: