I'm Experiencing Covert Racism at Work. These mfs are Sneaky.

Amerikan Melanin

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
For those telling me to just quit, I can't just do that. I live in a small town. There's not a lot of opportunities here. The highest paying job around here that doesnt require a degree is a car factory. I worked there but had to leave because of scheduling conflicts with child care and my wife's job.

Even though I feel like these white people are being sneaky, I'm making good money here. 45-46 hours a week, 5 days a week with weekends off to be with my family is tough to find around here. I was unemployed for 3 months during covid back in 2020 trying to find a job that would accomodate our tough schedules. This was the only one where the pay was decent enough. So leaving would be a setback.

I wanted to get a 2nd job on 3rd shift but my wife sometimes has to work nights and we don't have anyone to keep our kids. So we have to do the slow grind. Not much room for maneuvering in our current situation.

School is my only option. With my schedule, I'm only able to take 2 or 3 online classes a semester so this shyt feels like it's taking forever but we grinding it out.

I don't want nikkas in here thinking I'm lazy not trying to better my situation. As you can see, my mf plate is full. I'm not the type to dump my kids off on my parents so I can work absurd 80+ hours jobs. I want to be present in their lives because I didn't have that. Being a present father comes with sacrifices and unfortunately, this is one of them.
Can your wife look for a better paying or different job? Or switch hours? Can she go to school also?

Do you have time to start an online business?

Can you drive to a bigger town?

What about relocation?

Can you go straight to corporate and ask for different opportunities?

africngiant

All Star
Daps
Dude should have been like Ritchie from Static Shock...

Homeboy, should have kept it moving and minded his own business.

Some of those folks get a little too comfortable.
i set him straight and he had no response lol hard not to when you came up discriminated & disenfranchised against.

Ahadi

Veteran
Daps
Its not an infatuation rather they know how to handle gay men. And they are seen as less threatening or masculine especially gay black men.

one of the first comments I used to hear when I turned up for interviews was "wow you’re a pretty big guy". As if that matters for the job.

In the past I know I’ve been passed over for certain jobs because whoever was going to be my manager felt slightly intimidated.

partly one of the reasons I was happy to move to Canada. Which is not perfect by any means but compared to the UK miles better for progress for me.

But I learned how to play the game. Become outside friends with the people who make the decisions above your manager.

1000%, they see you as threatening. (More creative, smarter, better looking, take all the corporate bytches, etc)

Time for Breh to hop on LinkedIn / Indeed and start applying elsewhere.

“Let your job be your stepping stone, not your tombstone, you never know when you have to turn a window to a door”

Lord_nikon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
hmmm, OP you said like sous chef/chef trying to move up to executive chef :lupe:my Ex is a chef at a corporate fortune 500, I know all about this shyt and catering.. most black are in the rear of the business ,,,, i know everything from her lol

at any job, most stakeholders, board of directors and c suite position are for good ol boys members :mjpls:also most black women will catch heat trying to transition to executive chef

fukk them people OP, get your knowledge, experience, skills and education, and when the time is right get the fukk outa there or start your own catering service

Mac Ten

Class of 97 !!!
Daps
Reppin
B-More
i set him straight and he had no response lol hard not to when you came up discriminated & disenfranchised against.

Right...

Most of those "folks" need to understand the black experience in America. Maybe put themselves in that person's shoes and learn some empathy.

I remember Ice Cube making a TV show about that years ago too.

Homeboy revealed his true colors too. He was probably calling you the N word and talking crap about you to his own race of friends. It's good u cut him off.

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Exactly. I remember my father used to be pissed off because of this exact reason. He had newer dudes and less skilled people getting senior positions over him for decades.

But as a caveat, i will note that i havent experienced this personally. i noticed Its not the same between their sexes. Rather, white dudes are hesitant to give promotions, but ive found white women dramatically more ambivalent toward the idea. White female supervisors didnt seem to care who got the position as long as it was filled. Most of the promotions i got were due to older white women.

@Hathaway ,Are you trying to curry favor with a male or female management team? Women judge you on the duty of the job itself. If you are dealing with white men, then you must offer a value proposition greater than the job you are trying to get. You know that cliche of "black people doing twice the work to get half the pay"? You will have to embody that mantra to get a promotion with white men. Its not about doing your job, its about adding value to the overall business. For example, How many of your bussiness' clients know YOU personally? If you left tomorrow morning, would the company lose clients?
Nah. Terrible advice. That man should find a way to remove his destiny out of the hands of strangers. U basically telling him to work like a dog in hopes these lunatics would have mercy on him.

If you wanna help dude tell him to go get snipped asap so no more accidental babies. Problem 1 solved.

Next, if his baby moms is home with the kids, that’s good. Brainstorm on ways she can start a work from home business.

Live a hermit lifestyle for as long as is necessary. And pray.

skokiaan

African original
Daps
Reppin
One Africa
In my previous jobs i've trained people who were later promoted..only benefit was noone bothered me on how I do my shyt and they knew I knew what's up.

Middle and upper management was ex military.

Traveler

All Star
Daps
Get another job on deck. Then go to your current bosses and let them know that you have been trying to progress, but you feel that there is not promotion potential where you currently are. If they truly value you they will promote you, if not you got the fall back. But they have to believe you are serious, if they feel you are just taking they will pull your card. Sometimes you have to take the risk.

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
I hate to say it, but I know you're right. White people have a strange infatuation with gay people. Especially white men.
because the gays got clout, they made Mario Lopez apologize for saying something that wasn't even homophobic