I'm about to join #Catset in a few day's: I need some helpful tips

VertigoKnight

Veteran
Daps
As for tips don't keep a water spray bottle for your cat if it misbehaves. I like to clap loudly, that more than focuses the cat.

Spraying water on your animal is a good way to create a nervous, angsty animal. If you have to son your cat a clap or if it's been extra out of pocket a light tap on the nose is enough.

Get the cat used to you playing with it's paws especially it's nails, as it grows this will also mean it will retract it's claws when it gets on you.

Get a scratching post and spray it with catnip

As other have said cats are very clean animals and so you have to check on the litter each day and take out any shyt or piss clumps. The best thing is unlike dogs. Cats don't make your house smell like dog.

Fresh

SOHH Vet since 2002
Daps
You can get a bed but it's 50/50 on if they use it. Keep an unused delivery box around and I guarantee it'll see comparable use.

this

my cats sleep in cat beds but they also love boxes to play and sleep in.

If you're getting a kitten I would suggest two so they have a companion while you're at work

don't declaw them, that's cruel

Mac Brown

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-town
I thought about getting a cat one time while I was at the pet store getting some dog food.
This black cat got my attention and had hella personality.

then I remembered I don’t have a vagina and snapped out of it

Kenyan West

lazy fba philly nikka,
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
greatest pet by far, breh good choice

invest in an automatic feeder and keep the cat on a schedule with healthy dry food so he doesn't get fat. Also pair this feeder with the small Yi camera on Amazon ($20) so you can make sure he eats when you not there with your phone app. Plus you can see what he does when you're not there, which is amusing.

get an automatic water fountain, cats like drinking from water in motion. that water in a bowl shyt gets old when you out the crib for a couple days and your cat dehydrated because the water evaporated.

get a scratching post with cat nip and pay attention to if he uses it or not. some cats prefer horizontal scratching posts NOT vertical ones.. my hard wood floors learned this the hard way.

do not declaw, that's animal abuse. just get a claw clipper and use it regularly if your cat is chill. you can grab a cats paw gently while it's in your lap and clip all the claws in under 30 seconds.

if you adopted an older cat, accept your cat for who he is. I adopted a cat that struggled with being in a cage in a shelter and was abused by his previous owners, so my cat is skittish, fearful and doesn't like to be touched, but is cool.

It's been two years now and he's slowly but surely coming around. Your cat may be friendly at first, or he may not, work with him either way.

cat tree is a must too, preferably one with a hole they can sleep in. a little exercise is always good climbing it, plus they can get some height off the floor without climbing on your chit.

invest in a high quality litter. that cheap dusty shyt is the worst shyt ever when you're sifting or pouring it in or out the box. I got some shyt (silica) that's $20 a month from kittypooclub that kills all odors and absorbs all liquids on contact with zero dust. :blessed:

Last edited:

ALonelyDad

Veteran
Daps
I'm getting a small kitten. Hopefully he doesn't piss and shyt every where
a small kitten might the first few days, mine never did because mine was already 6 months old but my sister's cat did, was much younger though.

- Get some toys, amazon has a lot of cheap toys
- Get a scratching post, or a cat tree with scratching post. This will save your furniture
- Watch youtube videos on how to trim your cats nails, sadly for me it was too late. I gotta pay $20 every month to let the vet trim my cats nails because my cat never lets me do it but acts like a damn saint in front of others:stopitslime:
- Play with your cat for 10-15 mins before you sleep so she can get tired and sleep too. This will be the worst thing early on. The cat will be up at night and make you wish you never got it. Once they learn about your sleeping schedule they dont care but there will be a lot of meows at night for the first month.
- Get a table or something near your window where the cat can climb up and look outside, make sure the windows are not open though or you are paying full attention because the cat might break the screen