I'll name this offseason thread later: The NBA 2019 Offseason/Free Agency Thread

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
team usa declining Melo on the team is absolute bullshyt. hes sacrificed like 4-5 parts of his summers to play for them when he was in his prime, and they cant get him on the team this summer when they are struggling to get players?

Then you run the risk of alienating players because you chose an inferior one due to politics

I.e when they picked Rose over Lillard in 2014

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Then you run the risk of alienating players because you chose an inferior one due to politics

I.e when they picked Rose over Lillard in 2014

I dont think thats applicable this summer with how many people declined, look at some of the players they invited to the camp this year. They should have taken care of Melo, hes the all time leading Olympic scorer, so I dont even think that example is equal to this one

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I dont think thats applicable this summer with how many people declined, look at some of the players they invited to the camp this year. They should have taken care of Melo, hes the all time leading Olympic scorer, so I dont even think that example is equal to this one

Taken care of in what way? If for example, Kyle Kuzma or Jayson Tatum got cut so they could give a spot to Melo, you don’t think they’d be justified to feel some type of way?

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Taken care of in what way? If for example, Kyle Kuzma or Jayson Tatum got cut so they could give a spot to Melo, you don’t think they’d be justified to feel some type of way?
Taken care of in the sense that he’s been a dedicated member of the Team USA family and has played for them in 5-6 iterations, helped restore their prestige, and is their all time leading Olympic scorer. They just promoted Derrick White from the select team to the main team, so they wouldn’t have to cut someone at the level of Tatum/Kuzma to make it happen. My whole point was that they struggled to get names to commit, so it was the perfect situation to add Melo without having to leave off worthy players.

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Taken care of in the sense that he’s been a dedicated member of the Team USA family and has played for them in 5-6 iterations, helped restore their prestige, and is their all time leading Olympic scorer. They just promoted Derrick White from the select team to the main team, so they wouldn’t have to cut someone at the level of Tatum/Kuzma to make it happen. My whole point was that they struggled to get names to commit, so it was the perfect situation to add Melo without having to leave off worthy players.

I’m not talking about the tryouts, I’m talking about the final roster. Like 6-7 of these guys in camp are gonna get cut. Joe Harris

The US is also in a different position from other countries in a sense that sympathy roster spots aren’t as practical due to how deep the talent pool is.

I don’t think Melo being on the team would be the end of the world, but I also don’t think him being left off is egregious or disrespectful.

• Dap
Reactions: OsO

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I’m not talking about the tryouts, I’m talking about the final roster. Like 6-7 of these guys in camp are gonna get cut. Joe Harris

The US is also in a different position from other countries in a sense that sympathy roster spots aren’t as practical due to how deep the talent pool is.

I don’t think Melo being on the team would be the end of the world, but I also don’t think him being left off is egregious or disrespectful.

Joe Harris, Mason Plumlee, Bam Adebayo, Jarrett Allen, PJ Tucker, Thad Young, Derrick White

2 of those names will be on the national team, I tend to think they could have included Melo over a group like this. I dont think you quite understand the talent pool involved here, you frame it like he would be taking a spot from an all star level player.

Its whatever though, doesnt need to be a back & forth

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Joe Harris, Mason Plumlee, Bam Adebayo, Jarrett Allen, PJ Tucker, Thad Young, Derrick White

2 of those names will be on the national team, I tend to think they could have included Melo over a group like this. I dont think you quite understand the talent pool involved here, you frame it like he would be taking a spot from an all star level player.

Its whatever though, doesnt need to be a back & forth
Melo isn't even a rotational NBA player now so I'm not sure why you're adamant about him being on the team. :dwillhuh:

It's a new day. Let somebody else get a chance.

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Melo isn't even a rotational NBA player now so I'm not sure why you're adamant about him being on the team. :dwillhuh:

It's a new day. Let somebody else get a chance.

Its called paying it forward, he gave them plenty of runs in his prime and now hes looking for them to help prop his standing back up

Again, if he was taking the spot of guys like Fox, Mitchell, etc, etc., I wouldnt say anything - but we're talking about players like Joe Harris, Thad Young, Plumlee, PJ Tucker, Jarrett Allen

It was the perfect opportunity to get him on the team and build some equity amongst players

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Its called paying it forward, he gave them plenty of runs in his prime and now hes looking for them to help prop his standing back up

Again, if he was taking the spot of guys like Fox, Mitchell, etc, etc., I wouldnt say anything - but we're talking about players like Joe Harris, Thad Young, Plumlee, PJ Tucker, Jarrett Allen

It was the perfect opportunity to get him on the team and build some equity amongst players
He's had 16 years to do that. If he cared about his standing, he woulda done better in the actual NBA instead of getting banished from his last three stops.

Be honest, what is he providing to a team that's more valuable than any of those guys you just listed?

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
He's had 16 years to do that. If he cared about his standing, he woulda done better in the actual NBA instead of getting banished from his last three stops.

Be honest, what is he providing to a team that's more valuable than any of those guys you just listed?

Melo is a HOF, fukk are you talking about :skip:

and are you seriously putting blame on him for how his NY tenure ended? No blame on Phil? OK then

also, his time in OKC didnt end poorly - they saved tens of million of dollars by moving him, it was a deal to cut costs, not because Melo was some malcontent

you're just glossing over my whole point here anyways, they should pay it back to him for his dedication to Team USA over the years. Colangelo has always preached it being a family, so they should help one of their most esteemed family members out when hes down, ESPECIALLY since they had such low turnout from established stars

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Melo is a HOF, fukk are you talking about :skip:

and are you seriously putting blame on him for how his NY tenure ended? No blame on Phil? OK then

also, his time in OKC didnt end poorly - they saved tens of million of dollars by moving him, it was a deal to cut costs, not because Melo was some malcontent

you're just glossing over my whole point here anyways, they should pay it back to him for his dedication to Team USA over the years. Colangelo has always preached it being a family, so they should help one of their most esteemed family members out when hes down, ESPECIALLY since they had such low turnout from established stars
He chose to go back to that dumpster fire in NY because he wanted that little bit more money instead of competing/winning. I don't feel bad for him about the NY situation. He got exactly what he signed up for. :yeshrug:

Everyone gets washed up. Team USA doesn't have to keep guys around just because they're having a tough time. I don't want Tayshaun Prince or Tyson Chandler on this squad. :skip:

It's a competition, not a charity. Melo's made hundreds of millions. No one's gonna feel bad for his "down" period.

Houston jettisoning him combined with no one, not even the Lakers, signing Melo says it all. LeBron won't even throw him a lifeline but Team USA is supposed to?

All those guys you listed bring more to the table than Melo at this point.