If you're a dark skinned female music artist, you won't sell albums in America

Rack4K

Banned
Daps
Reppin
BK
Some people in this thread seem to think that if somebody is not lightskin, theyre darkskin. I don't consider Mary J, K. Michelle or Janet to be dark, they're brownskinned.

Lauryn and Missy debunk the thread but neither of them has been hot in over 10 years and expectations were different for them because they came in as rappers

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Also folks fail to realize that even black dudes in this new R & B have to put up with this type of shyt. Look at the black male singers in the 60s, 70s and 80s who were stars.

Them dudes would be neo soul singers or gospel singer. Could James Brown or Barry White both very dark and ethnic looking be the cross over stars today that they were in their hay day......nope nope nope.

But this is what happens when the dominant culture high jacks your shyt.

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sade ain't light skinned.
sade.jpg
sade isn't even black, wtf is wrong with you. and she is no where near dark

Superstar
Daps
i agree that being darker makes it harder for u to sell records in modern decades. i'm unsure why some of u would think that non-famous ds people can be discriminated against economically, but hollywood & fans would be so above discriminating against them.

for those throwing out the names of unsuccessful LS people...to explain u should just see life as a race on a track field with hurdles, but some people will have more hurdles & higher hurdles to jump than others (being a minority race, gender, sexuality, skin tone, financial background etc) that doesn't mean the person with barely any hurdles will win the race or that his run isn't hard for him as an individual.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Uh,

Mary J. Blige
Missy Elliott
Fantasia
Ledisi eating good selling hers independently
I don't know what "class" people are putting Janell Monae in

This wasn't a good idea for a thread.

You naming a few artists over the last 25 years isn't a good idea for a retort. The OP is talking about something that is systematic and happens in masse. A few artists, or even a dozen doesn't negate the facts. Light skinned is ideal for a black R&B/Pop star

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You naming a few artists over the last 25 years isn't a good idea for a retort. The OP is talking about something that is systematic and happens in masse. A few artists, or even a dozen doesn't negate the facts. Light skinned is ideal for a black R&B/Pop star

Yep of course. Hell even for men. No surprise that MJ and prince are the highest selling black pop stars of all time.

Motown was built on this with their male and female artist.