If you're a dark skinned female music artist, you won't sell albums in America

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Why can't dark skinned women sell music in America?

Only person in the last 20 years to do any sort of numbers is Jennifer Hudson, and she barely does ok given her immense talent. (I've heard white women say her voice is "manly") :sas2:

Beyonce
Rihanna
Nicki Minaj (bleached)
Aaliyah
Alicia Keys

....those are really the only black women to sell albums in the last decade or two. And they are (were) all light.
Besides Whitney back in the day, there really aint nobody selling unless you got a capuccino skin tone.
It's fuucked up
(Thread topic only came to mind because I was listening to that SWV joint from my Above The Rim thread in the film room)

I know this may not be the most popular reply to this... because some of you think Christianity is the white devil's religion... but there are a number of black female gospel singers who aren't light-skinned. There's less expectation to "look" good and be of a certain complexion because you aren't trying to sell to the general public. You are basically selling to a niche market. And if you are as dark as Sade or as light as Rihanna, it doesn't matter. It's the message, the lyrics, the voice and the music that are important. If you look at metal, these musicians and singers aren't as good looking as singers of a boy band. Metal fans are more interested in the music and not good looks.
Peace out.

Timeis$

Banned
Daps
I know this may not be the most popular reply to this... because some of you think Christianity is the white devil's religion... but there are a number of black female gospel singers who aren't light-skinned. There's less expectation to "look" good and be of a certain complexion because you aren't trying to sell to the general public. You are basically selling to a niche market. And if you are as dark as Sade or as light as Rihanna, it doesn't matter. It's the message, the lyrics, the voice and the music that are important. If you look at metal, these musicians and singers aren't as good looking as singers of a boy band. Metal fans are more interested in the music and not good looks.
Peace out.
:patrice:

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Sade ain't light skinned.
sade.jpg