If you're a dark skinned female music artist, you won't sell albums in America

HollowPoints2

Don Makaveli.
Daps
Reppin
East Coast
Why can't dark skinned women sell music in America?

Only person in the last 20 years to do any sort of numbers is Jennifer Hudson, and she barely does ok given her immense talent. (I've heard white women say her voice is "manly") :sas2:

Beyonce
Rihanna
Nicki Minaj (bleached)
Aaliyah
Alicia Keys

....those are really the only black women to sell albums in the last decade or two. And they are (were) all light.

Besides Whitney back in the day, there really aint nobody selling unless you got a capuccino skin tone.

It's fuucked up

(Thread topic only came to mind because I was listening to that SWV joint from my Above The Rim thread in the film room) :whoa:
What about Lauren Hill?

Edit:After reading a few replys on this thread, I would say the media decides which R&B artist will get the most exposure on tv as well as radio.The other factor here is how brainwashed many African Americans are which explains this obsession with skin color instead of talent. Basically, disconnected from the idea if supporting the people who resemble them.

Last edited:

Anti-Anime

fukk u weeaboo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Not Japan
These labels need to start promoting black female artists that have something new to bring. Black female rock singers, conscious rappers, jazz musicians, shyt anything but another generic R&B star whose content is stagnated on love and relationships. R&B is quite possibly the most boring and unimaginative genre there is

• Dap
Reactions: Yup

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Dark women haven't been selling and that is the truth. Go find 10 dark african american/black only singers who have been on the top of the billboard list since the late 2000's. I bet you can't.

Beyonce is light and always calls herself creole.

On her loreal commercial, she had afam, french, and native american as her race/ethnicity.
e2f3e7fd975d53fc036a45bfdf6a783e.jpg
beyonce-true-match-loreal-ad.jpg
pepsi-max-beyonce-mirrors-600-44097.jpg

1999.jpg
destinys-child-2.jpg

rihanna is light as well, and so is nicki. They used to give beyonce and rihanna spray tans sometimes. Google it. Nicki is light brown, she does not have dark skin.

SNF1622C---3806_1292905a.jpg
Rihanna-Teen.jpg
rihanna.jpg

I don't even know if there's been 10 different women that have topped the list period. And even if I tried you'd probably just claim they aren't dark enough.

Truth is, the majority of black people are medium complexion. So it makes sense that, medium skin is what we will see. And nice job finding pictures that make them look light as can be.:stopitslime:

I never denied that their is a problem with colorism in the industry. But at least be realistic in the claims you are making. You can't name 10 light skin women that have topped the charts since 2000 either. But over the years there have been very successful dark skin women.

Saying "dark skin women can't sell" is a very far stretch from "name 10 women that have topped the charts"

Last edited:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Dark women haven't been selling and that is the truth. Go find 10 dark african american/black only singers who have been on the top of the billboard list since the late 2000's. I bet you can't.

Beyonce is light and always calls herself creole.

On her loreal commercial, she had afam, french, and native american as her race/ethnicity.
e2f3e7fd975d53fc036a45bfdf6a783e.jpg
beyonce-true-match-loreal-ad.jpg
pepsi-max-beyonce-mirrors-600-44097.jpg

1999.jpg
destinys-child-2.jpg

rihanna is light as well, and so is nicki. They used to give beyonce and rihanna spray tans sometimes. Google it. Nicki is light brown, she does not have dark skin.

SNF1622C---3806_1292905a.jpg
Rihanna-Teen.jpg
rihanna.jpg
:sas2:

2k13

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Darkskin Newcomers and movers to the music game

Azealiabanks
azealia-banks-768.jpg

Justine skye
Justine-Skye.png

Janelle monae
fabulous-looks-of-the-day-janelle-monae-at-the-rio-2-press-conference-1.jpg

Seyvn streeter
Screen-shot-2013-12-04-at-4.58.23-PM.png

Dawn richard
042915-music-Dawn-Richard-Calypso-video.jpg

Last edited:

Will Ross

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Again, Beyonce is more talented than Kelly. The problem here is that Beyonce fits the "mold" of what people think is somebody who just gets by on her looks and that she's light skinned. NO. That chick is super talented and works her azz off. And she has a star quality about her. From day one you could see it over all the other Destiny Child chicks. I think people get too caught up in the light skinned vs. dark skinned thing. How about Diana Ross? Same complexion as Kelly, but back in the day she WAS Beyonce. There were other talented light skinned girls out there like Tammi Terrell, but Diana Ross was King. Lets give credit where credit is due.

Nobody is taking credit from Beyoncé.
I'm saying if dark skin women want to be the face they can't promote lightskin women above darkskin women.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Janet-Jackson-Is-Releasing-New-Album-This-Fall-640x480.jpg

k-michelle.jpg

Both did numbers recently :manny: A better thread would be why is @Raul lowkey racist? :mjpls:

hahaha only in usa would these two be considered as dark

See, the thing is that the avg black person in the USA isn't dark skinned by black people standards but more, milk chocolate/medium

I don't even know if there's been 10 different women that have topped the list period. And even if I tried you'd probably just claim they aren't dark enough.

Truth is, the majority of black people are medium complexion. So it makes sense that, medium skin is what we will see. And nice job finding pictures that make them

Celtics%20Pierce%20Garnett%20Allen.jpg

6_6_08_NELL001554.jpg

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
What's this supposed to prove?

There's more black people that look like nelly and Paul pierce then there are that look like Akon

Im proving your point

Truth is, the majority of black people are medium complexion. So it makes sense that, medium skin is what we will see

Even most of the neo soul singers aren't dark skinned