If you're a dark skinned female music artist, you won't sell albums in America

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
Some people in this thread seem to think that if somebody is not lightskin, theyre darkskin. I don't consider Mary J, K. Michelle or Janet to be dark, they're brownskinned.

Lauryn and Missy debunk the thread but neither of them has been hot in over 10 years and expectations were different for them because they came in as rappers

Thanks - this is precisely why I said this earlier:

3. I don't know what "color" she is considered by the zitgiest...I don't really follow that type of thing.

UnoVon

Pro
Daps
Yep.

Sevyn is pretty talented. She would've been at least Mya status in the 90s.
Yup, I think what a lot of folk in here are failing to realize is that once they(cacs) find an alternative to you(black folk) they don't need you anymore and you get thrown in the trash, Elvis, Eminem, Adele, Justin Timberlake, etc are all examples of this....nikkas are now being fazed out of the last bastion of defense and they don't even realize it, we live behind enemy lines and don't own shyt so it all it takes to steal our shyt is to find an imitator of the originator, take the original off the radio and TV, replace him/her with the cac imitator then bang it's gone.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Yup, I think what a lot of folk in here are failing to realize is that once they(cacs) find an alternative to you(black folk) they don't need you anymore and you get thrown in the trash, Elvis, Eminem, Adele, Justin Timberlake, etc are all examples of this....nikkas are now being fazed out of the last bastion of defense and they don't even realize it, we live behind enemy lines and don't own shyt so it all it takes to steal our shyt is to find an imitator of the originator, take the original off the radio and TV, replace him/her with the cac imitator then bang it's gone.

Brehs too busy simping these light skinned and racially ambiguous women to see this.

Yaboysix

That nikka
Daps
Reppin
Tampa Florida
Singing Neo Soul or gospel. Just like where are the black dudes that look and sound (like men when singing) like the O'jays. They are singing gospel and neo soul.

You know, you're right! I forgot all about my beautiful sistas singing Gospel.Neo soul too. Beautiful voices also.

Any recommendations?

Luck

The one true gym gawd...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
The vast majority of western countries where popular music sells is white

The music and marketing of popular music will always be geared towards the biggest consumer base

Cacs take credit for anything positive in regards to lighter complected people and they feel more comfortable supporting lighter people. Post any beautiful black girl with a brown or lighter skin tone on any white dominated forum and witness how "Caucasian" that woman suddenly becomes. Then turn around and post a clearly mixed person with curly hair, slightly darker than white skin tone, and blue eyes in relation to a crime or some negative type of behavior and witness how "black" that person becomes

Thats how things are, and that's why the artists that get the most exposure by corporate music entities are usually lighter more cac friendly people and personalities.

FreddyCalhoun

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Houston, TX
iIKkmOT5.jpeg

:stopitslime:

This reference is damn near 15 years old??!

Box Cutta

Bumbling Sidekick
Daps
Reppin
Sanitation Department
Yep.

Blacks being phased out of pop culture for good.

Hispanics have surpassed us, and in a few decades, ASIANS will do the same.

Most of our history, we weren't even given the opportunity to own anything, and when we were finally given the ball, we ended up dropping it (Selling off our companies, using our platforms to promote white artist, depending on white awards and ceremonies, etc).

The most popular "black" male artist in the world had a fukking bar mitzvah...:snoop:

Will Ross

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
I blame cats for being on IG so much that they forget what a good looking dark skinned woman looks like. :mjlol:

That standards multi racial look for the black man's woman is :smh:

It's has a lot more to do with the women than us. Most company rarely market to us

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
Yep.

Blacks being phased out of pop culture for good.

Hispanics have surpassed us, and in a few decades, ASIANS will do the same.

Most of our history, we weren't even given the opportunity to own anything, and when we were finally given the ball, we ended up dropping it (Selling off our companies, using our platforms to promote white artist, depending on white awards and ceremonies, etc).

The most popular "black" male artist in the world had a fukking bar mitzvah...:snoop:

We gonna be Native American status in another decade in the media. Especially when Obama leaves office. If we aren't careful, this could be our last hurrah.

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
It's has a lot more to do with the women than us. Most company rarely market to us

True, what doesn't help is that we degrade ourselves to the lowest common denominator for quick money.

Yup

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Life
nikkas in complete denial. It's a fact. Black women (usually these artists core fanbase) refuse to support dark skinned black women anymore. This has been the constant trend ever since Beyonce went solo.

Mentioning artists who's prime was damn near 20 years ago only further strengthens OP's point. :russ:

Colorism this, colorism that yet anyone that isn't Rihanna or Beyonce doesn't get any shine from them. :dead:

Why must everything be blamed on BW? We are blaming for brownskinned women not being marketed now? Really?

Yup

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Life
Who's fault is this though? The Machine backing these type of women or Black women for mostly supporting the lighter and mixed female artist? Much like in the dating game Black men of all shades are eating pretty good, it's only the darker Black women who seem to be struggling. But if Black women really believe what they say, like how Kelly Rowland is just as good or even a better singer than Beyonce, than they should support her and darker women like her instead of Beyonce, Rihanna, or Nicki Minaj. Especially since these three women have done nothing but further damage the Black woman's image with their music.
So black women are single handedly making and breaking these female artists career?:martin: