If all guns were banished and all we had for weapons was Swords/Blades what kind would u choose?

Which Sword would you choose?

• Total voters

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)
$1,500

I need this in my life:wow:

6391ace427ade714b70fb966024ae804_7bd43829-7732-4b85-a5c7-8c1c9b9496bf_1024x1024.jpg

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Japan banned rapiers from the county because of the amount of Samurai being killed by them. Rapier is a weapon made for dueling. Katana's wide swings left them open and fencers just demolished them.

lmao stop with this duck tales, samurais were put out of commission by guns, and the rapier is not anywhere as lethal as a katana, because you can survived being struck multiple times unless you're hit in the heart or somewhere like that, a katana is one a shot kill
also samurai's wore armor, a rapier is useless against armor and was designed for civilian combat stop talking duck tales

you can literally grab a rapier with your bare hand and stop a blow by damaging your hand, you can't do that against a katana
show me someone doing shyt like this with a rapier, plus samurai's

Lotsford

All Star
Daps
Reppin
DMV
lmao stop with this duck tales, samurais were put out of commission by guns, and the rapier is not anywhere as lethal as a katana, because you can survived being struck multiple times unless you're hit in the heart or somewhere like that, a katana is one a shot kill
also samurai's wore armor, a rapier is useless against armor and was designed for civilian combat stop talking duck tales

you can literally grab a rapier with your bare hand and stop a blow by damaging your hand, you can't do that against a katana
show me someone doing shyt like this with a rapier, plus samurai's

Puncture wounds kill more often than slash wounds. And I highly doubt every man who got hit with a katana ended up dying.

Either way, Japan banned rapiers because too many samurai were being killed. They had to change up the Katana, making it lighter weight and giving it a double edge (which isn't characteristic of a normal, traditional katana) in order to beat the rapier.

European vs Japanese swordsmen: Historical encounters in the 16th-19th centuries | Tameshigiri.ca

“Maybe no recorded personal duel per se but the story about the Portuguese being banned from bringing swords (rapiers) ashore during the extensive trading exchanges in Kyushu is documented. The reason for the ban was linked to the fact that the Portuguese originally cut down so many samurai. The local samurai responded by having new swords made which were much lighter than the battle blades they normally carried. Later, another encounter occurred and a virtual small scale war ensued with many Portuguese dying in the skirmish. I know about this because a distant relative of my teacher actually took part in this bit of historical trivia. My teacher (Takamura Yukiyoshi) still owned
his relatives sword which was made specifically in response to the Portuguese sword tactics the samurai encountered in Kyushu. Like the famous Kogarasu Maru, this sword was double edged from about 5 inches to the kissaki but much lighter and faster.
This design was adopted to allow a swift back-cut like the ones the Portuguese employed so effectively against the samurai with rapiers. Once armed with swords of this style, the samurai turned the tables even on the Portuguese in the second encounter. This is when the ban was finally instituted. The whole trading relationship was threatened….”

“In fact there are some records in our national historic archive of more than a dozen encounters of Portuguese soldiers and samurais. These encounters are very well described and detailed. All ended with the same result except one. The samurai was killed in some or wounded (but killing themselves afterwards in shame) the only register of a killed Portuguese soldier was because he had such an amount of sake in his blood that he couldn’t stand straight. The Samurai that killed him was killed in the next day in a sword duel with a Portuguese sailor in top condition…”

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)
Puncture wounds kill more often than slash wounds. And I highly doubt every man who got hit with a katana ended up dying.

Either way, Japan banned rapiers because too many samurai were being killed. They had to change up the Katana, making it lighter weight and giving it a double edge (which isn't characteristic of a normal, traditional katana) in order to beat the rapier.

European vs Japanese swordsmen: Historical encounters in the 16th-19th centuries | Tameshigiri.ca

“Maybe no recorded personal duel per se but the story about the Portuguese being banned from bringing swords (rapiers) ashore during the extensive trading exchanges in Kyushu is documented. The reason for the ban was linked to the fact that the Portuguese originally cut down so many samurai. The local samurai responded by having new swords made which were much lighter than the battle blades they normally carried. Later, another encounter occurred and a virtual small scale war ensued with many Portuguese dying in the skirmish. I know about this because a distant relative of my teacher actually took part in this bit of historical trivia. My teacher (Takamura Yukiyoshi) still owned
his relatives sword which was made specifically in response to the Portuguese sword tactics the samurai encountered in Kyushu. Like the famous Kogarasu Maru, this sword was double edged from about 5 inches to the kissaki but much lighter and faster.
This design was adopted to allow a swift back-cut like the ones the Portuguese employed so effectively against the samurai with rapiers. Once armed with swords of this style, the samurai turned the tables even on the Portuguese in the second encounter. This is when the ban was finally instituted. The whole trading relationship was threatened….”

“In fact there are some records in our national historic archive of more than a dozen encounters of Portuguese soldiers and samurais. These encounters are very well described and detailed. All ended with the same result except one. The samurai was killed in some or wounded (but killing themselves afterwards in shame) the only register of a killed Portuguese soldier was because he had such an amount of sake in his blood that he couldn’t stand straight. The Samurai that killed him was killed in the next day in a sword duel with a Portuguese sailor in top condition…”
Did u forget u already posted in this thread? I guess u just wanted to add on huh:mjlol:

Thanks for the 'FYI' tho lol

Daps
Reppin
NULL

This shows you to the stupidity of people who don't even read their own sources from their same page

“In Japan, it was necessary for every man to carry a pistol; but the Japanese [with their swords] invariably got the better of every man carrying one, even when he had it in his hand… …I maintain the great fault in our swords is that they will not cut. Use them as much as you like, unless you have them specially sharpened the night before, they are useless. In the cut, our swords are useless in nine cases out of ten. The Japanese use two-handed swords; if we could use them, I should say cut by all means; for they never want a second cut.”

once again also the sources of these quotes are from other forums dedicated to renaissance era, get the fukk outta here with these psuedo science all those quotes come from forums like e-budo and arma.org lmao, fukk outta here

The actually quotes from the european soldiers all said the japanese sword was superior but you want to take quotes from some white supremacist post on some random forums lmao

get your talking points from white supremacist, everybody knows the samurai sword is the best sword ever made,

The Portuguese pirates and samurias fought each other with guns lmao ,like I said get this alt right shyt outta here

Lotsford

All Star
Daps
Reppin
DMV
This shows you to the stupidity of people who don't even read their own sources from their same page

“In Japan, it was necessary for every man to carry a pistol; but the Japanese [with their swords] invariably got the better of every man carrying one, even when he had it in his hand… …I maintain the great fault in our swords is that they will not cut. Use them as much as you like, unless you have them specially sharpened the night before, they are useless. In the cut, our swords are useless in nine cases out of ten. The Japanese use two-handed swords; if we could use them, I should say cut by all means; for they never want a second cut.”

once again also the sources of these quotes are from other forums dedicated to renaissance era, get the fukk outta here with these psuedo science all those quotes come from forums like e-budo and arma.org lmao, fukk outta here

The actually quotes from the european soldiers all said the japanese sword was superior but you want to take quotes from some white supremacist post on some random forums lmao

get your talking points from white supremacist, everybody knows the samurai sword is the best sword ever made,

The Portuguese pirates and samurias fought each other with guns lmao ,like I said get this alt right shyt outta here

That quote talks about cutting. I'll agree that the katana is a batter cutting weapon than the rapier.

But Japan's own historical record shows that they banned the rapier because of the amount of samurai killed, and that samurai had to change their weapons in order to compete. It also shows in all the duels recorded, only one ended with a Portuguese death. You can even see this trope depicted in manga (Shigurui specifically)

Why would a site dedicated to kenjutsu lie about these things?

Daps
Reppin
NULL
That quote talks about cutting. I'll agree that the katana is a batter cutting weapon than the rapier.

But Japan's own historical record shows that they banned the rapier because of the amount of samurai killed, and that samurai had to change their weapons in order to compete. It also shows in all the duels recorded, only one ended with a Portuguese death. You can even see this trope depicted in manga (Shigurui specifically)

Why would a site dedicated to kenjutsu lie about these things?

Yea japan's own historical which fail to post because the don't exists , just random site that doesn't site anything as facts lmao, there no records, which is why you can't post any

The same link posted is fool of quotes saying the opposite of what you were trying to prove but you ignore that because you only look for things that support your argument that's why you can never be on the factual side because you don't look at all the evidence

I already had a debate with someone using those same quotes lmao

Samurai's wore full armor

0949.jpg

A rapier is not getting through that shyt

Samurai's fight on a battlefield lmao, a rapier is a civilian weapon, a katana can cut through armor, its like comparing a street guns to military arms its ridiculous to even suggest