I want to get into Jazz and understand it

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
I didn't read the whole thread, but what I learned is that if you gain an appreciation for Blues then you will get Jazz, because Jazz is an offshoot of the Blues. It is basically the rhythm in rhythm and blues; and over the years it changed just like the Blues did. Once you learn early Blues then you will see the transition to stuff like Ragtime then to Jazz. You almost have to have an idea of what old Blues music sounded like to understand the transition to Jazz.
Ok recommend me some blues and ragtime albums

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Like others have said peep the Ken Burns Jazz documentary if you can. Its on Amazon Prime if any of you have it. Its long as shyt tho and I believe the best episodes are episode 7-10 which is more about the bebop era which is hands down the best jazz ever imo. I have a nice record collection with a ton of old school jazz records. Blue Note Records is/was the premier jazz label hands down. Love fusion as well but I'm always going to promote the best in bebop jazz.. Coltrane, Miles, Eric Dolphy, Herbie Hancock, Art Blakley, McCoy Tyner, Monk, Freddie Hubbard, Wayne Shorter, etc.

Also check out a Coltrane doc on Netflix, The 'Straight No Chaser' doc about Thelonious Monk, and peep the Blue Note IG account and peep some of their much heralded old school artwork and album covers:

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps
To really appreciate Jazz you need to be a musician, I thought it was a snobby idea at first...

But after nearly 20 years of piano and a second degree in music....

Yeah, to understand the complexity and depth at which these cats operate and play at...a strong knowledge of music theory is necessary....

I was listening to this OG slay the keys after practice when I was just learning how to play, he was playing all kinds of styles, Jazz, Blues, Country....

I asked him, "How'd you get to that level man?"

He told me, "Bach, I practice Bach everyday and it has been 50 years young brother"...

Then I started listening to Glenn Gould as the Bach modern standard player....

Then:
Monk
Tatum
Jarrett
Brubeck
Hancock
Peterson

As the basis since everything starts with the piano....

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps

I've been playing Kind of Blue and A Love Supreme. I wish this was on Spotify as well

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
You won't go wrong listening to the guy in my AVI. "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat", "Fables of Faubus", a civil rights tune, and "Haitian Fight Song". Of course my favorite "A Fisherman's Wife Wears some Jive Ass Slippers"
What's the brother's name? I'm working out to a jazz album rn lol

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
I know Jazz is king of music. Been checking out Quincy Jones interviews lately. It's weird, I find it hard to get into.

After checking some Quincy first album and Herbie debut. I was like ehh.

Now playing Kind of Blue, I'm really digging the third track.

I plan to check the albums Time Out!, Brilliant corners, the black saint and the sinner lady, the shape of jazz to come and a love supreme.

After all this I want to revisit pimp butterfly Kendrick album.

Really want to get deep into funk too. I've only heard the first Parliament album, I don't think it was bad. I found it more interesting than enjoyable if that makes sense. Almost as if it was a concept album, although it wasn't.