Jimmy from Linkedin

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Managing Director at Breh & Breh, Inc
wnkzLSN.jpg
728uGNc
This junt is really kind of trash. I dunno when it was made but not including at least Robert glasser or Roy Hargrove in the 2000s some cacs made this trash

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
no love for Terrace Martin??? :gucci: That's the homie. Breh is doing the damn thing for present day jazz AND hip hop
This joint is pure piff, try it

I see Robert Glasper getting props. This joint features him, doing an amazing solo that glides into an interlude so effortlessly and smoove :ohlawd: among others. The bass bass player was wack :shaq2: But I promise this rendition of Herbie Hancock's "Butterfly"

Is
pure
fukkin
PIFF
:damn:

He got another version featuring with Thundercat that has a different feel (that's the beauty of Jazz, them conversations :banderas:) just as dope in less than half the time

Brehs performance at the MoMA in NYC was amazing too... I really wanna catch him and Glasper live

Last edited:

Jimmy from Linkedin

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Managing Director at Breh & Breh, Inc
Brehs performance at the MoMA in NYC was amazing too... I really wanna catch him and Glasper live

Saw them as R+R = NOW at blue note in like Feb it was amazing. Some cacs came in and smelled like a hot tuna dish, but it didn't stink just smelled someone's meal so that was kinda distracting. I tried to record it but I put my phone in my pocket and it went on to record in mono. The set was so dope tho

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Ok recommend me some blues and ragtime albums

Sorry to just be responding, but I just saw your question. For the old Blues I would start with people like Scapper Blackwell, Memphis Minnie and others. There are other guys that played a similar style, but you can hear the instrumentation more in their style which shows how elastic the Blues really are, because when people think of Blues they usually only think of the Mississippi Delta Blues and not the other Blues that existed around the Country in places like Appalachia, Louisiana and Texas.

Ragtime is a pretty straight shot from there, because you get to people like Fats Waller and Scott Joplin who was even earlier than Waller:

From Fats Waller it is easy to get to Jazz musicians like Louis Armstrong and then to Duke Ellington and Count Bassey.

There is lots of other music in between, but you can hear the transition that we later get with Charlie Parker, Miles Davis and John Coltrane. If you have the time you can also watch the Ken Burns series called "Jazz" where he shows the split off between Blues and Jazz. I am not saying his work was totally accurate, but it gave a pretty good history of the music. The key I think is to understand the transition of Blues, because it gets us to all the other American forms of music.

Last edited:

King Khufu

CARTEL MAFIA GANG
Daps
Reppin
At Ur Mama's Bando
From my experience listening, many jazz try to incorporate a real life feeling or setting into the song mood.

There's something about space and tone that can give a track a soulful love ballet or a muddled chaos. It's not really a set music style as much as a generic instrument choice.

Much of it includes a piano or electric Rhodes, bass, spacey sounds like soft percussion or strings/violins, a range of drum rhythm and sound.

It gets a little too out there for my taste but most of the acid jazz with rnb tones and gospel soulful melodies I tend to feel heavier than some of the abstract stuff. Though I none of the less appreciate the art.

It is one of black America's most experimental genres of true creativity that has been expanded and borrowed and relived through hip hop sampling

Vandelay

Life is absurd. Lean into it.
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
I first was introduced through Jazz Hip Hop

But Start with Coltrane

I really got into it starting with a few songs

Doo Bop - Mike’s Davis

My Favorite Things - Coltrane

In a sentimental mood - Coltrane and Ellington

It grew from there.

I recently got into Jazz and Classical deeply about 5 years ago

You don’t need theory to enjoy either genre

Doo Bop is a really easy album to digest for Jazz novices. I second this if you're trying to get more into it.

And although it isn't jazz persay, anything from Fela Kuti as well. Zombie is a particular favorite. A little peeved Puff used it for a ciroc commercial.

Barbados Slim

All Star
Daps
I'm here for this thread :wow:

Some posters have hit it right, Jazz isn't just music man, it's a feeling, multiple feelings.

I learned alto sax in school but gave it up after a couple years; in my 30's now and been thinking about buying a second hand one and picking it back up.

You won't go wrong listening to the guy in my AVI. "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat", "Fables of Faubus", a civil rights tune, and "Haitian Fight Song". Of course my favorite "A Fisherman's Wife Wears some Jive Ass Slippers"

Got a nice Jazz playlist on Spotify I listen to and this is one of my go-to tracks on there!:banderas:

ahdsend

Superstar
Daps
audio and video sync dont match up on this one..

sound is from the live album, they just pasted it on some video clips from the same performance that day..

ahdsend

Superstar
Daps

The Bridge (Sonny Rollins album) - Wikipedia

In 1959, feeling pressured by the unexpected swiftness of his rise to fame, Rollins took a three-year hiatus to focus on perfecting his craft.[7] A resident of the Lower East Side of Manhattan with no private space to practice, he took his saxophone up to the Williamsburg Bridge to practice alone: "I would be up there 15 or 16 hours at a time spring, summer, fall and winter".[8] His first recording after his return to performance took its name from those solo sessions.[7]