I want to get into Jazz and understand it

dreskii

Pro
Daps
i got you.

for what it's worth there is a lot of people posting fire in here which is great, however if you really haven't listened to jazz for a long time or haven't learned how to play an instrument in the style of jazz or have any real musical theory background then it may be hard for you to really appreciate what people have been posting.

I mean you will probably like what you hear, but the beauty is in understanding WHY you like it... kinda like how someone can hear a rap verse and like it whilst not fully appreciating the metaphors, wordplay, flow yadayada.. jazz is like that on steroids.

^ this is a breakdown of Giant Steps (which some people have already posted, but this goes into why it's a great jazz song in detail and will introduce a bunch of concepts to you).

^this is harmony being explained to 5 different levels of people (a child, a teenager, a music pro and then HERBIE HANCOC) this is a breakdown of harmony which is only one element to jazz music but a very important one.. i just really like the video and you might learn something or two.

I would suggest you seek out more material like this to get an understanding.

Once you have done that, you should be listening to what people already posted.. my personal favourites are thelonius monk, herbie hancock and miles davis.

The more you delve in, the more you will understand. You can check out forums, watch videos and listen to a bunch of music... the next step would be to learning an instrument, checking out live jazz musicans and shyt all that.

Whenever you're watching videos like the ones i posted, try and apply what you have learned to other music you listen to... soon you'll start identifying jazz influences in hip hop and even everyday pop shyt you hear everywhere.

CROM

Pray. I will not listen, but I will laugh at you
Daps
Reppin
Valhalla
Ken Burns has a good documentary on Jazz that goes in depth on the culture & contributors throughout history
Highly recommend that series to anyone that really wants to see the development of jazz from its beginnings. You'll get plenty of detail on the legends like Armstrong, Ellington, Monk, and Miles...but also some of the lesser know greats like Art Tatum, Sidney Bechet, Lester Young, etc. If you really want a thorough introduction...that series is required viewing.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
My absolute favorite genre of music is Smooth Jazz. I could listen to the shyt all day, ever since I was a young kid. In the gym, driving, cleaning up, relaxing in the yard. I usually have Smooth Jazz playing.

Kenny G
Najee
Boney James
George Benson
Paul Taylor
Etc.

I’m not really into the more classical type of Jazz (Coltrane etc.). Smooth Jazz is where it’s at.
Agreed, add Bob James, Grover Washington and Chuck Mangione to that list

Basically if they were rocking in NYC in the late 70s they're on my playlist

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
We have great taste in music, breh.
:myman:

Don’t forget The Rippingtons.
I'mma have to check for them

Roy Ayers also did his thing. Love what his band did on the Sylvia Striplin album

Too much good music out of that era and space.... it's all I listen to these days

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
If you want to get into jazz, it's best to know what you are actually listening to.

Quincy Jones isn't a "serious" jazz musician in terms of making jazz albums. He is a good composer and great producer.

Best to get a book like The Oxford Companion to Jazz.

The understanding of Jazz is very much reliant on understanding music theory like Classical music.

Jazz isn't like Pop, RnB or Hip Hop where understanding it is really just about lyrics and production styles and you don't need to understand anything about music theory.

There's books written on Jazz theory and etc that would be good to read.

You won't know what makes Miles Davis great if you don't know music theory. Miles Davis broke the rules.

Get a companion guide on Jazz if you are serious about learning about the genre beyond easy listening and jazz fusion.
Whoa, you have a lot knowledge on music. I'd like to hear more from you. I'll cop that book for sure man. I want to be versatile in my compositions. The fact that Baby Be Mine by Mike is "Bebop" (not sure what that is) in pop blows my mind. I always found that beat to be something else. May not be as infectious as Billie Jean but it has this different bounce to it that I really like.