I want to get into Jazz and understand it

Jimmy from Linkedin

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Managing Director at Breh & Breh, Inc
Listen to the giant steps album all the way through.

Jazz is about the unique harmonies an individual and put into rhythm amongst a definite, and greater collective.

Jazz is how black folks Express individualism, all inversions and subdivisions of the same chord progression. One cool drop of water in an ocean of blackness.

You get this

And then this

And it's the same. You'll get it because you want to get it. You got This:salute:

StretfordRed

Afro-European
Daps
Been listening to Jazz FM in the UK. Not sure if the US has a dedicated Jazz radio station, but it's always a good start

Daps
Reppin
St louis
You have to be enveloped
and infected by the music.
it's not gonna hit everybody the same ways.
if it dont speak to your very being it's not for you.
:ehh:

UKVu0t8.gif

Last edited:

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
I first was introduced through Jazz Hip Hop

But Start with Coltrane

I really got into it starting with a few songs

Doo Bop - Mike’s Davis

My Favorite Things - Coltrane

In a sentimental mood - Coltrane and Ellington

It grew from there.

I recently got into Jazz and Classical deeply about 5 years ago

You don’t need theory to enjoy either genre

Blackrogue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Nai
If you want to get into jazz, it's best to know what you are actually listening to.

Quincy Jones isn't a "serious" jazz musician in terms of making jazz albums. He is a good composer and great producer.

Best to get a book like The Oxford Companion to Jazz.

The understanding of Jazz is very much reliant on understanding music theory like Classical music.

Jazz isn't like Pop, RnB or Hip Hop where understanding it is really just about lyrics and production styles and you don't need to understand anything about music theory.

There's books written on Jazz theory and etc that would be good to read.

You won't know what makes Miles Davis great if you don't know music theory. Miles Davis broke the rules.

Get a companion guide on Jazz if you are serious about learning about the genre beyond easy listening and jazz fusion.

I need some pdfs bruh
:feedme:
I've listened to jazz in the past and I'd like to have a more educated ear with the extra music theory.

I've loved elements of jazz in the past. I still love all sounds but I think the education in that genre will guide in others

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
I need some pdfs bruh
:feedme:
I've listened to jazz in the past and I'd like to have a more educated ear with the extra music theory.

I've loved elements of jazz in the past. I still love all sounds but I think the education in that genre will guide in others

I remember getting into Jazz when I became interested in learning music theory to help me make music, since Jazz is so foundation to popular music.

And I went straight to the typical names, like Miles Davis and was like...

:hhh: This shyt ain't music that is meant to be simply listened to and enjoyed.

Because it's really not IMO.:yeshrug:

Jazz to me is like Art House films, beyond the Kenny G, Lounge music, Elevator music, Coffee shop music type shyt, Jazz is just Black American Classical music.:yeshrug:

Some of it back in the day was pop music like Swing but once you get further into Bebop, the virtuoso shyt, the shyt has been characterized as just noise back then, that's when you hit the :aicmon: IMO

When you grow up with popular music and you are used to a 16 bar verse and a 8 bar chorus...and these dudes making some progressive shyt that just sound like noise, gotta train the ears to enjoy that shyt.

I guess I'll provide a companion guide and find like a listener's jazz theory book. :lupe: