I understand that twitter has gone thru channification, but this viral discussion is a new low

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
]

Am I wrong here, should this slave be shamed for his actions?

friday-ice-cube.gif
\

No need to think about it. Yes, he should be shamed for leaving his wife and children in slavery.

The Realist Perspective

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
]

"Should this slave be shamed for his actions"

This just does not sit right with me at all how you said that. I'll make sure to comment once I educate myself surrounding this topic.

Edit:

Alright I delved deeper into the subject. Henry Box Brown was rumored to not buy back his family for several reasons.

1. Financially, the cost of purchasing their freedom might have been too high for him to afford.
2. Philosophically, Brown might have taken a principled stand against the idea of buying human beings, believing it would reinforce the legitimacy of the slave system he opposed.
3. He likely didn't trust the corrupt and unreliable nature of the slave trade, fearing he might be cheated or betrayed. Practically, arranging for the purchase and safe transport of his family would have been dangerous and with a lot of moving parts.
4. Emotional and psychological factors, including the trauma of his experiences and the separation from his family, also likely influenced his decision.

Honestly, it's impossible as a black man living in America in 2024 to fathom what our ancestors went through back in the 1800s. I think it would be crazy to think an escaped previously enslaved person can just waltz into the south, or even put the word out to buy his family back with it just working out like a Django movie. And the cost thing is a real factor too, that would have been really expensive. So this may sound terrible but I can't "shame" this man way past his death, for his actions.

However, I will say moving to England and marrying a white woman is absolutely ridiculous and embarrassing.

Last edited:

Ski Mask

Friendzone: Collection 1
Daps
Reppin
Vegas/seattle
Yes he should be shamed :what:

But people are trying to make what he did a representation of black men as a whole which is wrong
I would understand if this was a regular hostage situation, but slavery idk if this so black and white like that. Alot of detail probably missing too.

ReasonableMatic

Daps

Enslaved man*, Henry ‘Box’ Brown was not a “slave”.

Y’all need to start learning how to use better language.

He was a human being,
in an inhumane condition designed to strip him of his humanity.

Last edited:

The Realist Perspective

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You should just edit this thread out of existence. The account you're quoting should never be shared on here.

Quit trying to censor information. Honestly, it's a benefit because I have never heard of this story before. If you're offended you can leave but stop trying to censor what everyone else can consume.

Fill Collins

I like the one that says shum pulp
Daps
Do your research fakkit

But after his pregnant wife, Nancy, and the couple’s three children were sold away from him in an act of brutal robbery (Brown had been paying his wife’s master Cottrell money on the express condition that he not sell Nancy), Brown seems to have undergone some sort of radical transformation. Initially, in the 1850 narrative, he portrays himself as enduring a type of living death: “My agony was now complete, she with whom I had travelled the journey of life in chains, for the space of twelve years, and the dear little pledges God had given us I could see plainly must now be separated from me for ever, and I must continue, desolate and alone, to drag my chains through the world.

Fill Collins

I like the one that says shum pulp
Daps
Quit trying to censor information. Honestly, it's a benefit because I have never heard of this story before. If you're offended you can leave but stop trying to censor what everyone else can consume.
If you've never heard of Henry Box Brown as a kid your parents and teachers failed you

Uchiha God

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yes, if true, he should be shamed, but by black people and when the conversation isn't specifically about his escape.

When a white liberal brings about his shortcomings as a man post-escape, it does nothing but diminish the effects of slavery on some "see, they did it to themselves" shyt

Ski Mask

Friendzone: Collection 1
Daps
Reppin
Vegas/seattle
You should just edit this thread out of existence. The account you're quoting should never be shared on here.
I thought so to until I saw nikkas in there agree with op, that's what tripping me out. That's why I'm asking this.
If you've never heard of Henry Box Brown as a kid your parents and teachers failed you
Well duh history isn't properly taught in many places in this country bruh especially in the south.