I understand that twitter has gone thru channification, but this viral discussion is a new low

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
"Should this slave be shamed for his actions"

This just does not sit right with me at all how you said that. I'll make sure to comment once I educate myself surrounding this topic.

Edit:

Alright I delved deeper into the subject. Henry Box Brown was rumored to not buy back his family for several reasons.

1. Financially, the cost of purchasing their freedom might have been too high for him to afford.
2. Philosophically, Brown might have taken a principled stand against the idea of buying human beings, believing it would reinforce the legitimacy of the slave system he opposed.
3. He likely didn't trust the corrupt and unreliable nature of the slave trade, fearing he might be cheated or betrayed. Practically, arranging for the purchase and safe transport of his family would have been dangerous and with a lot of moving parts.
4. Emotional and psychological factors, including the trauma of his experiences and the separation from his family, also likely influenced his decision.

Honestly, it's impossible as a black man living in America in 2024 to fathom what our ancestors went through back in the 1800s. I think it would be crazy to think an escaped previously enslaved person can just waltz into the south, or even put the word out to buy his family back with it just working out like a Django movie. And the cost thing is a real factor too, that would have been really expensive. So this may sound terrible but I can't "shame" this man way past his death, for his actions.

However, I will say moving to England and marrying a white woman is absolutely ridiculous and embarrassing.

full

Only the first one is valid.

Still I’m negging OP for posting MAGA talking points

YakSpiller

Superstar
Daps
The day Twitters servers blow up or is hacked and everyone loses their account will be a glorious day. Hope it happens sooner than later.

Da Jungles

CBALL
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MUSIC
I’m sure there’s gonna be some edited posts when brehs come back in here :laugh:

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Yes, if true, he should be shamed, but by black people and when the conversation isn't specifically about his escape.

When a white liberal brings about his shortcomings as a man post-escape, it does nothing but diminish the effects of slavery on some "see, they did it to themselves" shyt
I'm not sure the woman in question is even a white liberal. She just seems like some turkish radical-feminist/conservative(crazy) shyt-starter:

https://twitter.com/Bipolarb*stard/status/1814903970063589596

But, since it's black men slander. self identifying liberals will support because it's gotcha moment against Black men.

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
Without doing any research (cuz it’s not true)

In what world in the 1800’s is a white man reasonably negotiating with a man he viewed as property? What money do you think a black man made at the time ?
Oh, so you know nothing about Black men who did gain freedom and turned around and bought their family out of slavery? Let me enlighten you.

"Smith was sold from owner to owner, working in places like Fisher’s Island and Stonington. He was a slave for about three decades.

But Smith took on side-jobs to earn enough money to buy his freedom from his last owner, Oliver Smith, of Stonington, and took his last name. Eventually Smith amassed enough money to buy the freedom of his children, his wife, and other slaves."

You ran in to defend this man's action, by stating it was not possible to do, but here I have shown you not only was it possible to do, but here is an example of an ancestor who did it. Next time, before you run in to defend a c00n, how about you do your research first?

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Oh, so you know nothing about Black men who did gain freedom and turned around and bought their family out of slavery? Let me enlighten you.

"Smith was sold from owner to owner, working in places like Fisher’s Island and Stonington. He was a slave for about three decades.

But Smith took on side-jobs to earn enough money to buy his freedom from his last owner, Oliver Smith, of Stonington, and took his last name. Eventually Smith amassed enough money to buy the freedom of his children, his wife, and other slaves."

You ran in to defend this man's action, by stating it was not possible to do, but here I have shown you not only was it possible to do, but here is an example of an ancestor who did it. Next time, before you run in to defend a c00n, how about you do your research first?
This is some boostraps shyt. "See this ex-slave was able to do XYZ, why didn't the rest of them do XYZ?"

We're Monday morning quarterbacking SLAVERY and using examples of successful attempts to buy back family to criticize a former slave after the fact? :dead:

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
This is some boostraps shyt. "See this ex-slave was able to do XYZ, why didn't the rest of them do XYZ?"

We're Monday morning quarterbacking SLAVERY and using examples of successful attempts to buy back family to criticize a former slave after the fact? :dead:
He was given the option to do it, yet choose not to. Instead, he decided to marry a White woman, leaving his Black wife and children in slavery. That is the difference, yet some of you want to run in and defend the c00n's actions.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
He was given the option to do it, yet choose not to. Instead, he decided to marry a White woman, leaving his Black wife and children in slavery. That is the difference, yet some of you want to run in and defend the c00n's actions.
And yet you believe slave owners, disgruntled white business partners, money hungry white abolitionist, and other white people over the word of the formerly enslaved man himself? The retroactive revival of this story aligns with the modern discourse of black men running to pawgs. So everyone wants to suspend disbelief to get their anti-BM "c00n" bloodlust off on an ex-slave. That's all this is. The person in the OP who even gave the non-contextualized historical account is a Turkish rad-fem/anti-men of color twitter troll. All of this is sick. No nuance, no digging into conflicting accounts, just "This nikka was a pawg-chasing COOON!!" :dead:

This is a new low.

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
And yet you believe slave owners, disgruntled white business partners, money hungry white abolitionist, and other white people over the word of the formerly enslaved man himself? The retroactive revival of this story aligns with the modern discourse of black men running to pawgs. So everyone wants to suspend disbelief to get their anti-BM "c00n" bloodlust off on an ex-slave. That's all this is. The person in the OP who even gave the non-contextualized historical account is a Turkish rad-fem/anti-men of color twitter troll. All of this is sick. No nuance, no digging into conflicting accounts, just "This nikka was a pawg-chasing COOON!!" :dead:

This is a new low.
Look, you may feel a need to defend him not exhausting every means at his disposal to purchase his wife and children, but I do not. He was free, he even made a decent income. There were other ways to purchase his family, like for example using an intermediary white Abolitionist to do it. He did not have to make the deal in person, and instead use a White face that claimed to be against slavery to do it for him. So no, I still consider him a c00n even after his excuses.

Once there was a possibility to acquire his wife and children, he should have attempted to move "Heaven and Earth" for them. Not remarry in England to a White woman, and forget about the terrible circumstances his original wife and children were suffering through.

These are my thoughts as a husband and father. I am a strong believer that your first responsivity as a man is to the family you have willingly created. That means, they come even before your own-self.