I miss big dumb action movies like Armageddon Lmaoo

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Broken Arrow was like a classic to us at that age, as kids

watched in maybe 5th grade? Had to be in 1996 on ppv.

We thought that was the rawest movie we had ever seen. the John Woo era.

Travolta comes off so flamboyant in this one, when you watch as an adult.

I love Face/Off and Hard Target but I always felt Broken Arrow was mid

WTFisWallace?

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Dade County
I got Con Air in this same type bag. Bunch of convicts take over a plane, boobie trap an airstrip (that’s only populated by a little girl and her dad(?)…everything’s going well til they’re thwarted by Cameron I’m innocent, baby girl hold it down, I love you P.O.E.

Top 10 flick for me. :pachaha:

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
The Core. I liked this one more than I like to admit. It's so fukking stupid. I might rewatch it again tonight on the strength of this post.

The Earth's core has stopped spinning. Disasters are happening around the globe, including; animals acting in bizarre ways, monstrous thunderstorms. Dr. Josh Keyes and his crew of 5 go down to the centre to set off a nuclear device, hoping to make the core start spinning again, or humanity will cease.
I remember when me and my girl at the time went to see that shyt in the two dollar theatre :russ:

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
Watching fast X right now. I hope it can restore the feeling :wow:
It won’t.

If you notice, most of the films people are mentioning aren’t sequels or part of some franchise.

Imho, once it gets to that point, you’re just monetize off of previous popularity in hopes you can continue that wave

Last edited:

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I watched Moonfall yesterday, and was instantly taken back to how entertainingly stupid action movies were back in the 90s and early 2000s. It was legitimately one of the dumbest fukking movies I've ever seen, but I had a great time watching it. We desperately need more movies like that. Not necessarily as expensive, but we need movies that are just ridiculously fun.

I love Face/Off and Hard Target but I always felt Broken Arrow was mid

I can respect your opinion, but can't necessarily agree with it. Broken Arrow is great fukkery, and I'd argue that without Travolta essentially getting a fukkery shootaround in with Broken Arrow, we don't get the fukkery triple double of his performance in Face/Off.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It won’t.

If you notice, most of the films people are mentioning aren’t sequels are part of some franchise.

Imho, once it gets to that point, you’re just monetize off of previous popularity in hopes you can continue that wave

The problem with Fast X (and the franchise as a whole at this point) is that it seems like the loudest creative voices in the room don't really understand why the series actually picked back up in popularity, and are taking this shyt way too seriously.

How they thought anyone could take the supposedly more impactful events of the last 30 minutes of the movie seriously considering not just the history of the series, but also literally what happens at the end of the same 30 minutes is beyond me.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
I watched Moonfall yesterday, and was instantly taken back to how entertainingly stupid action movies were back in the 90s and early 2000s. It was legitimately one of the dumbest fukking movies I've ever seen, but I had a great time watching it. We desperately need more movies like that. Not necessarily as expensive, but we need movies that are just ridiculously fun.

I can respect your opinion, but can't necessarily agree with it. Broken Arrow is great fukkery, and I'd argue that without Travolta essentially getting a fukkery shootaround in with Broken Arrow, we don't get the fukkery triple double of his performance in Face/Off.
I feel like too many movies these days, for lack of a better phrase feel "embarassed" with themselves these days. I blame it on MCU and their need to be snarky and self-referential. You don't get movies like Total Recall or Ricochet that just dive headfirst into stupidity without a trace of irony.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I feel like too many movies these days, for lack of a better phrase feel "embarassed" with themselves these days. I blame it on MCU and their need to be snarky and self-referential. You don't get movies like Total Recall or Ricochet that just dive headfirst into stupidity without a trace of irony.

I say blame could be laid on the MCU, but not necessarily because of the overall tone of their writing. I think it's because studios are STILL trying to chase that gravy train with everything needing to be serious enough to launch a franchise or cinematic universe.

You know it's a rough time for movies when the only movies that seem to be consistently fine with leaning into fukkery essentially Lifetime movies, or movies that are basically just those with a larger budget and a distributor that'll at least attempt to release it theatrically.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
One of my favorite movies, had an great soundtrack too.

I remember "Deep Impact" came out around the same time with a similar storyline :mjlol:

Hollywood would greenlight similar movies to come out in the same year regularly. Deep Impact/Armageddon Antz/Bugs Life. Olympus Has Fallen/White House Down. Red Planet/Mission to Mars. Dante's Peak /Volcano EDTV/Truman Show etc.

It's like when everyone thought Judge Dredd ripped off The Raid (obviously the history of Hollywood ripping off foreign cinema) But Judge Dredd iirc was half way thru filming when the Raid started shooting.