I May Destroy You (Season 1 Discussion Thread)

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I'm curious, anyone familiar with Chewing Gum?
CHEWING GUM was great.
It was my second time seeing Michaela Coel (the first was on the UK series THE ALIENS) and the moment when I realized she was a special talent.
I MAY DESTROY YOU just cements that opinion.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
So four episodes have a rape
Michaela Coel gave an interview where she said she was sexually assaulted while making her previous show CHEWING GUM and that was the inspiration for I MAY DESTROY YOU.
Sexual assault is pretty much what the series is about.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Michaela Coel gave an interview where she said she was sexually assaulted while making her previous show CHEWING GUM and that was the inspiration for I MAY DESTROY YOU.
Sexual assault is pretty much what the series is about.
Sorry if I wasn’t clear, I know that.

The three characters with the most airtime were raped in some way. Cole had a drug induced rape. Her homegirl got mislead in Italy. She agreed to the threesome, but didn’t know they were friends. And finally homeboy got brutally raped in the last episode.

shyt, Coel got raped by that nasty Indian dude as well when he took off the condom and didn’t tell her.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
i focks with this here!
shorty aint all that, but them lips!!

:takedat:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
CHEWING GUM was great.
It was my second time seeing Michaela Coel (the first was on the UK series THE ALIENS) and the moment when I realized she was a special talent.
I MAY DESTROY YOU just cements that opinion.
Which did you like better? This or Chewing Gum? Gonna wait for my wiz to see if she is interested in either before starting.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
That episode was messy, sexy, beautiful, it's not really a fun watch, it demands a lot from the viewer. Will be running that back, didn't even catch everything.

great explanation. I had it on while multi tasking and that was a bad Idea as I feel like i missed the whole episode even though I was “watching it”.

Trot LaRoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi/LA
I liked Chewing Gum...she is talented
I like this so far but it def ain't an easy watch.

That last episode with her :wrist: friend was :damn: shyt was all the way fukked up

Slimkid07

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'm digging it a lot so far. Ep4 was a brutal watch. :sadcam:
I dug how it shows how one can give consent to someone and still be assaulted by them.

Also, Michaela gave a great example with the condom tossing dude, on how a woman can come to the realization that she was violated way after the fact.
In the scene she found out that he took off the condom and went raw, she was upset but then blew it off.
It probably won't hit her until later on how fukked up it was and she'll change her mind.

Also, Michaela Coel is bad AF to me.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Also, Michaela gave a great example with the condom tossing dude, on how a woman can come to the realization that she was violated way after the fact.
In the scene she found out that he took off the condom and went raw, she was upset but then blew it off.
It probably won't hit her until later on how fukked up it was and she'll change her mind
It happened to her friend in Italy with the threesome.

Also, Michaela Coel is bad AF to me
Facts

Slimkid07

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
It happened to her friend in Italy with the threesome.

Facts
The friend one was weird. I just took that as her being a sucker trying to have a story to tell.
Her situation was different from Arabella's. She wasn't raped or had somebody take the condom off without her knowing.
She just had consensual sex with two men but didn't know they knew each other and ran game on her.
That was deceitful but is that something that could be reported like Arabella's situations or Kwame?

Not saying I would do that :whoa:, but I'm not seeing it, explain to me how that was "rape."

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
She just had consensual sex with two men but didn't know they knew each other and ran game on her.
That was deceitful but is that something that could be reported like Arabella's situations or Kwame?
Would she have agreed if she knew those two knew each other? Probably. I think the issue is her power was taken away from her. She was never given the chance to say yes to those two friends who wanted have a three some. It’s a very gray area and I’m not sure I entirely agree with classing it as rape, but that’s what Coel wants us to think about, imo.

Slimkid07

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Would she have agreed if she knew those two knew each other? Probably. I think the issue is her power was taken away from her. She was never given the chance to say yes to those two friends who wanted have a three some. It’s a very gray area and I’m not sure I entirely agree with classing it as rape, but that’s what Coel wants us to think about, imo.
Agreed.
Coel has been great with showing the nuances and degrees of consent and sexual assault. Very talented.

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
The friend one was weird. I just took that as her being a sucker trying to have a story to tell.
Her situation was different from Arabella's. She wasn't raped or had somebody take the condom off without her knowing.

Not saying I would do that :whoa:, but I'm not seeing it, explain to me how that was "rape."
This video breaks it down pretty well @ around 14min mark.